Western rheater uniforming question. Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western rheater uniforming question. Union

I've read all the uniforming threads but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

I know the battery I am forming was originally issued mounted service jackets but have found no reference to replacements. Does anyone know if it was common practice to be issued msj replacements or would sack coats be more appropriate?

Also I assume replacement troops drawn from infantry would not have been re-issued msj. But kept the uniform they had?

We are starting from scratch here folks and want to do it right

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Wiardphil; 07-14-2016, 10:24 AM. Reason: Autocorrect hates me
    Phil Davis

G Battery, 1st Ohio Light Artillery (Bartlett's)

Re: Western rheater uniforming question. Union

This reply is in response to your question about a Wiard firing table (TFT in modern parlance) and Battery G's uniforms.

I know that I have seen a TFT for a Wiard gun (don't remember if it was for 12 or 6-pounder, but I know that it's not in the 1861 Instructions for Field Artillery (no surprise). It's not in the 1863 ordnance manual and - surprisingly - it's not in the 1864 Field Artillery tactics; the one that includes all the rifled guns. As you probably know, there were less than 50 Wiards in service so it's somewhat understandable that information is harder to find. I did come across an extract in Peterson's Roundshot and Rammers that states the a 6 pounder Wiard with a charge of .6 of a pound of powder and 5 degrees of elevation, has a range of 1,800 yards. A 10 pound Wiard with a one pound charge and an elevation of 5 degrees has a range of 1,850 yards. As a side note, Marshall's inspection report from 9 November 1862 cites Wiards as 6 and 12 pounders.

In the inspection report mentioned above, Marshall notes that the battery has two, 6-pounders and two,12-pounders having turned in two guns (complete) in Eastport, MS, on 13 June 1862, because of too few men. He also asks that the two Wiard 6-pounders be re-issued as he has 121 men present for duty. Some of the other things mentioned in the report that may be of interest include: 10 Sibley tents, 3 common tents, 3 unserviceable wall tents, no carbines or muskets, 12 Whitney revolvers, and 5 sabers.

The Report of a Board of Survey dated 12 December 1863 to investigate damaged clothing Battery G placed in storage earlier that year specifically includes 22 great coats, 17 artillery jackets, and one blanket.

One other thing: the Western Reserve Historical Society has William Corbett's 45 page letter he wrote COL Barnett in the 1880's. If I remember correctly, Corbett was wounded and captured at Stones River, released on parole, exchanged, and served with the battery for the rest of the war. Corbett wrote the letter in response to Barnett's research efforts to write a history of the 1st Regiment, Ohio Light Artillery. BTW, you've looked at the Cleveland and Painesville newspapers for letters home, yes?

Good hunting and I hope this helps a bit.
    James Brenner

Comment

Yes it was of great help. I forgot the listing in round shot and rammer S. I may be able to use a ballistics chart to extrapolate All else I can fire at 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 degrees and mart the fall of the shell and shot.

Also helpful on uniforms so we can cite that msj were in stores with armies in west to at least that date for replacement

Thank you sir
      Phil Davis

Comment

Photos are the best answer on uniforms. Some of my favorite are the ones that emphasize the lack of uniformity in uniforms. Our detachment at the Field Artillery Museum used to all be in forage caps and MSJs when I got here. Now, based on photos, I generally tell my guys I don't want anyone in the same uniform. We don't portray any particular battery to research QM returns, so we mix it up with sacks, MSJs, state jackets, Hardees, forage caps, boots, brogans, etc. This is one of my favorites.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10472106_10207851597195632_7986326891953237041_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	225097

Note in this image, almost all of the men on the guns are wearing sack coats.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery image.jpg
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	225098
        Frank Siltman
        24th Mo Vol Inf
        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
        Company of Military Historians
        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Well heck. I guess we are there for the most part then! We are a mix of MSJ, sack and she'll jackets. Kepi, forage caps slouches, and Hardee's. Now if I can only find a table of fire for the Wiard rifle
          Phil Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Wiardphil View Post
            Well heck. I guess we are there for the most part then! We are a mix of MSJ, sack and she'll jackets. Kepi, forage caps slouches, and Hardee's.
            Federal cannoneers were issued BOTH Mounted Services Jackets, dress uniforms, and sack coats for fatigue duties. Which one you wore & when was up to the Boss!
            If he didn't care, or bother to specify, take your pick.
            Remember too. as our branch never adopted those dark blue britches like the rest of the Army did, by regulation, your Sky Blue trowsers were to be of the reinforced mounted pattern, for everyone. When wearing a sack coat & unadorned forage cap, they clearly mark your duties. Did cannoneers ever receive, & wear foot pattern trowsers, sure, unquestionably, but they weren't supposed to. If the QM tries to issue them to you be sure you're not paying that higher price for the mounted ones, rascals WILL cheat you every chance you give 'em.

Careful with the Hardee hats though, NOT an article of issue to Light Artillerymen, mounted or horse.
            Perfectly acceptable for portraying Heavies though, or to represent that infantryman assigned to fill out the numbers on your detachment.
            Minus all his accouterments. that Dress Hat along with his foot trowseers would mark him as infantry, even though he's serving a piece.
            Plenty of artillerymen acquired slouch hats, and kepis, as soldiers will, but none were to be issued them, forage caps only.

A Federal artillery impressions appears easier than a CS one, as always the Devil is in the details, & a myriad of 'em there are!!

Regret I cannot assist with a Wiard Table of Fire.

YMMV
            Last edited by Fauxban; 07-25-2016, 09:01 AM. Reason: My miserable spelling

Dum Spiro Spero

Bruce G. Rollin

Late of Lazarus Battery
            guilt by association: Lilly's 18th Indiana/Lumsden's (Alabama) Battery
            Formerly Palmetto (S.C.) Light Artillery
            Past 3rd Lieutenant, 1stConfDiv Artillery Staff
            retired, dilettante, raconteur, postulator, button counter, nit picker and critic

Comment

It looks like I'm good on basics then. I'm still getting it across to them that the whole "we don't need packs and we can have wall tents and chairs cuz we coulda put them on the battery wagon and limbers" is a reenactorism. So far I've almost got them convinced That if they wanna do it right it's a shelter half and we are going to make shell and canister crates this winter. If ya gotta have something to sit on. Ammo crates would have been around. Thanks for the help guys
              Phil Davis

Comment

While it's possible to rationalize that battery wagons, caissons, and limbers could carry all that excess stuff, bear in mind that all that extra weight wore down the horses and it wasn't uncommon for commanders to issue orders prohibiting such practices. Something else to consider is to rig the paulins as a temporary shelter.

Jim
                James Brenner

Comment

Sit on crates, gun tarps/paulins make great shelters, and I can't find it right now, but I recently read about minimizing equipage, and it says Soldiers items are not be carried in the battery wagons, each man had his knapsack to be strapped to the floorboard of the limber and if it doesn't all fit, excess baggage is to be discarded, beginning with the Chief of Piece's and Gunner's baggage;
                  Frank Siltman
                  24th Mo Vol Inf
                  Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

So if I wanted to do a authentic mid and late war artillery would a regular fed infantry with a sack make sense?
                    Ian Melendez

Comment

Originally posted by Pennvolunteer View Post
                      Sit on crates, gun tarps/paulins make great shelters, and I can't find it right now, but I recently read about minimizing equipage, and it says Soldiers items are not be carried in the battery wagons, each man had his knapsack to be strapped to the floorboard of the limber and if it doesn't all fit, excess baggage is to be discarded, beginning with the Chief of Piece's and Gunner's baggage;
                      Frank, I think you are referring to General Orders #5 from Artillery Headquarters, Army of the Potomac, dated 11 April 1864. http://www.artilleryreserve.org/Rese...ge%201864.html. Also of note is General Orders #2 from 15 January 1864 (http://www.artilleryreserve.org/Rese...ge%201863.html). These documents contain a wealth of info about using Artillery and moving artillery.
                      Robert Hale
                      KEMO Artillery

Comment

Originally posted by BillyYank1861 View Post
                        So if I wanted to do a authentic mid and late war artillery would a regular fed infantry with a sack make sense?
                        Yes, an sack coat was issued to all federal troops, not just Infantry. Photographic evidence is best, but you see sacks and MSJs mixed on artillerymen, but later on, sacks were the most common uniform item in the US Army for issue.Click image for larger version

Name:	13913673_1624325257897542_9063461231743781730_o.jpg
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	225138
                        This photo all the guys are in sack coats with 12 pdr Napoleons.
                        Frank Siltman
                        24th Mo Vol Inf
                        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Comment

Working...
                        X