Artillery shovel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery shovel

Ok, I need some help with this. I recently acquired a shovel that is said to be a Civil War artillery shovel, and when trying to find info on it I was only able to find one example of it in a auction. Does anyone have any more information on this? Thanks
    John Suttorp

From my limited research that doesn’t look all that different from a normal shovel from the time period. There are three articles about tools on the Liberty Rifles website. Although it looks like one isn’t currently available.

Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

John,
      Based upon information in the 'Draft" 1865 Federal Quartermaster Manual (Coates and Gaede) under Camp and Garrison Equipage, while there was no spade or shovel specifically designated as for Artillery, each was to be available in three sizes, Nos. 1, 2, and 3, and the sizes for each given in the specification. All were to have "D" handles on 2' 5 1/2" ash wood stems. There was also a so called "Picket shovel" specified again with the dimensions specified for it as well, which appears to have had a smaller blade and came with a shorter handle length (2 ') as well and either a straight ash wood handle or one with a "D." The picket shovel also came with a sling and was intended (as its name implies) to be used by pickets for entrenching. This is the same as the concept of WWII folding shovels caried by Infantry men. Apparently spades also had slings available.

I doubt the shovel you show is Army issue but could be period as Dan suggests.

Dick Milstead
      The Company of Military Historians
      Liberty Rifles
      Richard Milstead

Comment

Working...
      X