No announcement yet.

"Three minute rule" for firing--why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Three minute rule" for firing--why?

Dan,
    Speaking strictly for myself, I maintain that a field piece can be discharged safely with a shorter firing interval than three minutes -- if everything is done properly, which can be evaluated objectively. I agree competely with your point about the necessity of training, discipline and adherence to time-proven drill per the manuals.

With regards to having children among the gun detachment, I respectfully disagree. I freely admit some young teenagers are both physically and mentally mature enough to serve, I feel its best to have an age limit and enforce it. In this way, subjectivity is eliminated form the equation. Afterall, opinions vary about which boys are "old enough." Personally, I think 16 should be the lower age limit for all positions, and only after the young man has proven his ability to safely serve the piece. I would even support an age floor of 17. Did boys younger than 16 serve in field artillery batteries during he period? Absolutely. This, however, IMHO is not sufficient to justify their use in this capacity today. We should also be vigilant for the old "switcheroo." I've seen folks try to substitute boys during an "engagement" after passing the safety inspection during which they employed an all adult gun detachment.

This is a great discussion and I'm glad we finally have a forum here to address these important issues.

Cordially,

Comment

In the interest of bringing a period resource into the argument over the time elapse between shots I submit the following from Hunt's General Order No. 2, 1864:

4. Expenditure of ammunition: One of the evil effects of firing at small bodies is the waste of ammunition. Rapid firing at large bodies and opening at long ranges are additional causes of waste. In small skirmishes between 300 and 400 rounds per battery are expended; the fire, according to the reports, frequently averaging, and sometimes exceeding, one round per minute for each gun. In general engagements batteries have been known to expend all the ammunition in their chests in a little over an hour and a half. An officer who expends ammunition in this manner proves his ignorance of the proper use of his arm, and a want of capacity for the command of a battery. He also incurs a heavy responsibility by throwing a whole battery out of use, and should be held to answer for the consequences. There has been an improvement in this respect, but there is still too great a consumption of ammunition. It is not so much the loss of the ammunition that should be considered--limited as is the amount which an army can transport--as the loss of effect from too distant and too rapid firing. In no case, except when firing canister at short ranges, should the rate exceed one round from each gun in two minutes; and that rate should only be reached at critical moments, when the distance, numbers, and formation of the enemy are such that the fire is sure to be effective. At all other times one round in four to six minutes is as rapid firing as should be permitted. The value of the rifled cannon consists principally in its accuracy. Accuracy requires careful pointing, with close observation of the effect, and these require time. Twelve shots in an hour at an object over 1,000 yards distant, the time being spent in careful 1oading and pointing, will produce better results than fifty shots will ordinarily produce from the same gun in the same time. If a heavy artillery fire is required it should be obtained not by rapid firing, but by bringing a large number of guns into action, and firing each with the greatest accuracy attainable. The campaign allowance is calculated to suffice for a general action and the combats which usually precede it; and, under ordinary circumstances, an officer who expends all his ammunition in a few hours renders himself liable to the suspicion that his reckless expenditure was prompted by a desire to quit the field. In future, batteries will not be permitted to leave their positions under this plea. The guns and cannoneers will remain on the ground until ammunition is furnished them. As soon as one caisson from each section has been emptied the empty caissons will be sent to the rear, under charge of a non-commissioned officer, to replenish at the ammunition train. At a time when all the resources of the country are taxed to the utmost to provide the army and navy with munitions of war, the non-effective expenditure of ammunition, in addition to other evils, diminishes greatly the efficiency of fire to which the artillery might attain; for the consequent excessive demand gives us, in many instances, imperfectly made and hastily inspected projectiles, instead of carefully manufactured and approved ones.

5. The custom which obtains in some batteries of bringing from the ammunition-chests a number of rounds and placing them near the gun on the ground is a bad one, and is positively prohibited. It not only leads to too rapid firing, but in case of a sudden movement of the battery this ammunition is apt to be left on the ground, as it requires time properly to repack it.

6. Opening fire: That the enemy is within range is not a sufficient reason for firing upon him. The fire is not to be commenced until the enemy is within effective range--that is, so near that at least one-quarter of the shots are hits. Firing at too great a distance wastes ammunition which will be wanted at the critical moments of the battle, and emboldens the enemy's troops by giving them a contemptuous idea of the effects of our fire. Frederick the Great, in his instructions on this subject, says:
      It sometimes happens that the general in command, or some other general, is himself forgetful, and orders the fire to be opened too soon, without considering what injurious consequences may result from it. In such a case the artillery officer must certainly obey, but he should fire as slowly as possible and point the pieces with the utmost accuracy, in order that his shots may not be thrown away. Such a fire is only pardonable when the general wishes to attract the enemy's attention to one point so as to make movements in another.
      But in such a case as this the object of the fire should be explained to the artillery officer. Accuracy of fire is of more importance than quickness. The fire should be slow while the enemy is at a distance, is to be quicker as the distance diminishes, and is to become rapid when canister shot is being fired at effective ranges. There are moments in which we should not fire, or only very slowly, and others of a critical nature in which there should be no question of saving of ammunition but the latter are only of Short duration and do not lead to a lavish expenditure, while the inefficient constant fire at long ranges always has that effect. A careful record will be kept of the amount and kinds of ammunition used.

Also, from Robert's Hand book of Artillery (1863):

41. Should the indiscriminate expenditure of am*munition be permitted in the field during action?

Upon no account; ammunition should at all times be carefully husbanded, particularly at the commencement of an action, as the want of it at the close may decide the fate of the day; it should also be sparingly used in skirmishes and minor affairs, especially when at a distance from supplies, or in anticipation of a general action.
      Brian Koenig
      SGLHA
      Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Sage advice from the AoP's chief of artillery.

It is useful to highlight the nubbin of his guidance:

There are moments in which we should not fire, or only very slowly, and others of a critical nature in which there should be no question of saving of ammunition but the latter are only of Short duration and do not lead to a lavish expenditure, while the inefficient constant fire at long ranges always has that effect.
        In most cases, a relatively rapid firing interval is only indicated when we are simulating conditions when spherical case shot or canister is being employed at relatively short ranges against massed troops or cavalry.

A splendid example is that of "Key's Battery" (AKA Helena Light Artillery) at Pickett's Mill:

Major Hotchkiss’ Battalion occupied the ground opposite the Wheatfield located off the White Trail. Apparently Hotchkiss’ works were not far enough forward to allow the guns to fire into the ravine. General Cleburne ordered the works torn down and new works built for a better field of fire. After the Union attack started, Captain Goldthwaite’s Battery was sent by General Cleburne to the Confederate right flank in order to place an enfilade fire upon the Union troops in the cornfield. Unfortunately, there was no position Captain Goldthwaite could unlimber his guns and therefore had no real impact on the battle. Captain Key moved one section (2 guns) of Howitzers to fire into the ravine by having his men hand roll the guns into position. From roughly 5:00 p.m. till 8:00 p.m. May 27, 1864, the two Howitzers under Captain Key fired 187 rounds of canister and spherical case shot.
        Written by James Wooten, (the "Haggard" ) Interpretive Ranger of Pickett's Mill Park.

Source: Cannoneers in Gray University of Alabama Press 1984

If we do the math, and assume both howitzers fired approximately the same number of rounds, it works out like this. Conservatively, 187 rounds divided by 180 minutes = about a round per minute from two pieces. That's a shade under a round from each gun every two minutes. I suspect they were not firing during the entire 180 minute period and thus the interval at times was probably even less.

Cordially,

Comment

Originally posted by K Bartsch
          Dan,
          Speaking strictly for myself, I maintain that a field piece can be discharged safely with a shorter firing interval than three minutes -- if everything is done properly, which can be evaluated objectively. I agree competely with your point about the necessity of training, discipline and adherence to time-proven drill per the manuals.

With regards to having children among the gun detachment, I respectfully disagree. I freely admit some young teenagers are both physically and mentally mature enough to serve, I feel its best to have an age limit and enforce it. In this way, subjectivity is eliminated form the equation. Afterall, opinions vary about which boys are "old enough." Personally, I think 16 should be the lower age limit for all positions, and only after the young man has proven his ability to safely serve the piece. I would even support an age floor of 17. Did boys younger than 16 serve in field artillery batteries during he period? Absolutely. This, however, IMHO is not sufficient to justify their use in this capacity today. We should also be vigilant for the old "switcheroo." I've seen folks try to substitute boys during an "engagement" after passing the safety inspection during which they employed an all adult gun detachment.

This is a great discussion and I'm glad we finally have a forum here to address these important issues.

Cordially,
          Check. I also believe on a lower age limit. We do have youngsters serving at times as #5/6, but usually their parent is a battery member.

I too am glad for this subforum for on often the "king of battle" is silent.

s/f

DJM
          Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
          (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Never mind. I recalled the message as my comment's already been mentioned.
            James Brenner

Comment

Working...
            X