Another interesting image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another interesting image

While obviously posed, to me, this has always been an interesting image. I apologize for the quality, I scanned it because I've never found it online anywhere. The location and date are not known.

Obviously a federal gun detachment, drilling on a 20lb Parrott Rifle. Of particular interest, you'll note the #1 and #2 men aren't crouching with their downrange hand cupped over their ear as we see so often among artillery reenactors. Also, note the worm is stowed (since it is only required by us to withdraw the husks of fired blank cartridges.) Also interesting that both the #3 and #4 appear to be wearing tube pouches as specified by Gen Hunt.

Finally, how about those leather "loafers" worn by #2!?!

Cordially,
    Attached Files

Re: Another interesting image

Comrades,

I've always suspected that this was a post-war image, mostly based on the 5-button blouse worn by the fellow in the background. That, plus the stack of balls would seem to indicate that it was aways a way from any imminent danger.
    It's entirely possible that this image is wartime, but shot at some place behind the lines. My gut feeling, though, is that it sometime shortly after the war, maybe the late 1860's, early 1870's.
    I have no proof regarding a post-war date, just a hunch. Still, a great image, especially the shoes...

Respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

I too noticed the shoes!! Pretty shiny and it looks as if they are two tone, however it may be due to sunlight hitting the shine.

They are in the prescribed firing positions and no where does it state for cannoneers to cover their ears.

I like the image very much and thanks for posting it.

s/f

DJM
      Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
      (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by 1stMaine
        Comrades,

I've always suspected that this was a post-war image, mostly based on the 5-button blouse worn by the fellow in the background. That, plus the stack of balls would seem to indicate that it was aways a way from any imminent danger.
        It's entirely possible that this image is wartime, but shot at some place behind the lines. My gut feeling, though, is that it sometime shortly after the war, maybe the late 1860's, early 1870's.
        I have no proof regarding a post-war date, just a hunch. Still, a great image, especially the shoes...

Respects,
        It was shot in a fort. Perhaps one of the several ringing Washington? (notice the big gun mounted en barbette to the left of number 3 [6.4 inch Parrott?], and the implement rack just behind #1.

Cordially,

Comment

I am almost certain that is an image of some heavy artillery types working in the defenses of Washington. I have a citation for it in one of my books, but will have to dig for it.
          Brian Koenig
          SGLHA
          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

The accouterments also appear to be black vs. the regulation oiled russet.

Bob Williams
            Reilly's NC Btty
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I don't see any evidence for stating the accouterments are black as opposed to oiled russet. Compare the color of the shoes to that of the strap of the gunners haversack. To me the appearance of these accouterments look quite different from known black items (such as infantry cartrdge box straps and such).
              Brian Koenig
              SGLHA
              Hedgesville Blues

Comment

I find it interesting that the fellow holding the rammer has it resting on the toe of his shoe. Wouldn't want to soil it, I reckon.
                ...and note the (relatively) thin belt on the lanyard-puller, and how about 10" (or so) of it is dangling free (sorry, being infantry I don't know the fellows' numbers.)
                Charles Kibler
                Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
                Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck A Luck
                  I find it interesting that the fellow holding the rammer has it resting on the toe of his shoe. Wouldn't want to soil it, I reckon.
                  ...and note the (relatively) thin belt on the lanyard-puller, and how about 10" (or so) of it is dangling free (sorry, being infantry I don't know the fellows' numbers.)
                  The rammer head is supposed to rest on the shoe/boot. Also the tube pouch is a once size fits all and the end on most I've seen including museum pictures were a little long, not like on a cartridge belt.

s/f

DJM
                  Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                  (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                  X