Artillery Resource / Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery Resource / Reading List

At the fine suggestion of Kamerad Rollin, I wish to begin compiling a list of "required readings" (be they manuals, memoirs, diaries, published works involving the artillery, &c) that can be utilized by visitors to this august forum in order to improve the authenticity of our chosen branch of service. I understand that there are similar lists that already exist elsewhere on the Internet, but I believe that the talent that this forum contains may be able to assemble sources that others may have missed.

I believe we already have a fine start with the General Orders that have already been posted elsewhere on this forum, and I would like to eventually include ALL of the artillery related orders so that they can be easily viewed in chronological order. Perhaps we could extend it to include AARs submitted by battery commanders as well. Links to outstanding web sources could also be included, but only with the permission of that site’s host.

I especially like the way that Bruce listed books and also included a brief synopsis of what each contained. This would greatly assist those who wished to research specific theatres, battles, campaigns, or topics relating to artillery. Perhaps once we get a list of resources assembled, individuals who have read them thoroughly will submit a short review of their content if such a thing can be done. For example, you can give a brief description of Van Naisawald’s “Grape and Canister”, but it would be impossible to briefly describe the 1861 Field Artillery Tactics manual.

The first step in this process is to determine what the people who will be using such a resource want to find once they start looking at it. So, my first question to my fellow redlegs is simply this:

What do YOU want to find in an Artillery Resource / Reading List ?

Please feel free to respond liberally, frequently, and candidly!
    Mark A. Pflum
    Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
    Member:
    CMH
    AHA
    Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Re: Artillery Resource / Reading List

Mark,

There are quite a few good books out there, those that I've read include Artillery Hell, Batter F, Hardtack and Coffee, Gunner for Stonewall, Field Artillery Tactics, and both Roberts and Gibbons.

Some should be required reading for infantry officers as well so they know how to use us.

s/f

DJM
    Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
    (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ringgold

What do YOU want to find in an Artillery Resource / Reading List ?

Please feel free to respond liberally, frequently, and candidly!
      Mark,

What artillery selection would be complete without the great Virginian Gallant Pelham: Stuart's Artillerist by Charles Milham.

A must read!
      Last edited by CJSchumacher; 09-09-2004, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Birkheimer's, History of the Field Artillery is an absolute must, even though it is not exclusively on the 1861-1865 period. Krick's, Parker's Virginia Battery is one of the better modern histories. Wise's, The Long Arm of Lee has lots of good detail on the artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia, but it's very dated. Buell's, The Cannoneer, while somewhat suspect, is one of the few unit histories of a regular battery. Both of E.P. Alexander's books, Military Memoirs of a Confederate and Fighting for the Confederacy are worthwhile reading and highly recommended. All are available through interlibrary loan.
        James Brenner

Comment

Working...
        X