Ringgold Battery at Drill image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ringgold Battery at Drill image

Here is my all-time favorite artillery image, for obvious reasons.

This link comes to us from the folks at civilwarphotos.net

It shows detachments #5, #6, and #3 (l-r) of Captain Durell's Ringgold Battery, P.V. That's George on the horse right above gun #3 in the image. For years I tried to get the National Archives to amend their title of this image, but they have insisted on keeping it labeled as "Battery at Drill, Ringgold Georgia" or something like that. The actual label on the image states "Ringgold Battery at drill", they simply added a comma and changed the battery name to a location. There is MUCH more to the original image, but the electronic version has been trimmed down considerably. The original image has all of the 2nd detachment in it as well as some of the 4th. There is another image taken of the Battery at the same time, but the only time I've seen it is in Warren Ripley's "Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War" on page page #111. That's 2 pages before the image of the 20 Pdr. Parrott appears as previously shown by KB in another thread. "somewhere around here I have a copy of a letter written by a member of the Ringgold Battery that mentions the battery being called out to drill only to find that the captain had arranged to have the boys image struck. I believe they were either at Munson's Hill or at Camp Barry. I'm going to have to dig to find the reference. He mentions that they had to do some fancy maneouvering in an attempt to get as many men in the image as possible.

Some interesting things about this photo:

* It was taken before these men ever saw action (very early 1862, March IIRC)
    * They are still wearing the dark blue infantry trowsers they were issued at Camp Lacey in Doylestown, Penna.
    * They were actually drilling as they would have gone into action, thus their water buckets remain hanging as they are supposed to (unlike the static gun image that KB posted)
    * Their linstocks are still on their carriages, ready for use.
    * A conscious effort was made to have each detachment pose at a different stage of the drill, but only a few detachments made it onto glass.
    * The Chiefs of Piece have remained mounted and can be found directly aside of the lead drivers.
    * The "extra men" of the Battery have placed themselves into the picture by populating the stone fence in rear of the Battery.
    * The #3 man of detachment #5 should be smacked for not thumbing the vent while #1 is ramming!
    * The crew of Gun #5 doesn't seem to have their heart in what they are doing. The Gunner is sighting the piece, complete with stadia sight, but #3 and #4 aren't doing their proper duties.
    * Along with Captain Durell, between detachments #5 and #6, can be seen the 2nd Lieutenant George Silvis to his right and trumpeter Josef Cuffel off to his left.
    * They are all wearing their fatigue uniform (sacks) instead of their mounted service jackets (which they did have by this time) because they were going to drill. Drill is a "fatigue" duty!

Yessir! It's a first-rate image alright!
    Mark A. Pflum
    Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
    Member:
    CMH
    AHA
    Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Re: Ringgold Battery at Drill image

Originally posted by Ringgold
    Here is my all-time favorite artillery image, for obvious reasons.

This link comes to us from the folks at civilwarphotos.net

It shows detachments #5, #6, and #3 (l-r) of Captain Durell's Ringgold Battery, P.V. That's George on the horse right above gun #3 in the image. For years I tried to get the National Archives to amend their title of this image, but they have insisted on keeping it labeled as "Battery at Drill, Ringgold Georgia" or something like that. The actual label on the image states "Ringgold Battery at drill", they simply added a comma and changed the battery name to a location. There is MUCH more to the original image, but the electronic version has been trimmed down considerably. The original image has all of the 2nd detachment in it as well as some of the 4th. There is another image taken of the Battery at the same time, but the only time I've seen it is in Warren Ripley's "Artillery and Ammunition of the Civil War" on page page #111. That's 2 pages before the image of the 20 Pdr. Parrott appears as previously shown by KB in another thread. "somewhere around here I have a copy of a letter written by a member of the Ringgold Battery that mentions the battery being called out to drill only to find that the captain had arranged to have the boys image struck. I believe they were either at Munson's Hill or at Camp Barry. I'm going to have to dig to find the reference. He mentions that they had to do some fancy maneouvering in an attempt to get as many men in the image as possible.

Some interesting things about this photo:

* It was taken before these men ever saw action (very early 1862, March IIRC)
    * They are still wearing the dark blue infantry trowsers they were issued at Camp Lacey in Doylestown, Penna.
    * They were actually drilling as they would have gone into action, thus their water buckets remain hanging as they are supposed to (unlike the static gun image that KB posted)
    * Their linstocks are still on their carriages, ready for use.
    * A conscious effort was made to have each detachment pose at a different stage of the drill, but only a few detachments made it onto glass.
    * The Chiefs of Piece have remained mounted and can be found directly aside of the lead drivers.
    * The "extra men" of the Battery have placed themselves into the picture by populating the stone fence in rear of the Battery.
    * The #3 man of detachment #5 should be smacked for not thumbing the vent while #1 is ramming!
    * The crew of Gun #5 doesn't seem to have their heart in what they are doing. The Gunner is sighting the piece, complete with stadia sight, but #3 and #4 aren't doing their proper duties.
    * Along with Captain Durell, between detachments #5 and #6, can be seen the 2nd Lieutenant George Silvis to his right and trumpeter Josef Cuffel off to his left.
    * They are all wearing their fatigue uniform (sacks) instead of their mounted service jackets (which they did have by this time) because they were going to drill. Drill is a "fatigue" duty!

Yessir! It's a first-rate image alright!
    I would like to add that perhaps another sign of the relative inexperience of these men is the choice by all three gun detachement depicted here to use the gun's left trailspike. This leaves the guns right trailspike stowed on the right cheek, and in perfect position to cause painful bruised ribs for the #1 man at the end of his "ram" stroke. Seen it happen and it ain't pretty!

Cordially,

Comment

What immediatly struck me is how large the #1's & #2's are compared to the size (height) of the #3's & #4's. All the big Dutchmen are in the front!
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
      Past President Potomac Legion
      Long time member Columbia Rifles
      Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Yeah, those #4's don't even look like they can reach the vent! :D Of course, you have to have some long arms to work that tube :p .
        Cameron Lippard
        Iron Grays
        Lazarus Battery
        18th Indiana Light Artillery
        Palmetto Light Artillery

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave
          What immediatly struck me is how large the #1's & #2's are compared to the size (height) of the #3's & #4's. All the big Dutchmen are in the front!

Great picture, I've seen this before and it never ceases to amaze me just depicting the sheer size of a battery.

#4s should have been large for they weren't ramming a tinfoil wrapped powder charge!! Our ones are usually the larger guys. See how the #1 stands? That is the correct position for ramming, not as reenactors do by facing the muzzle and only using the right hand. (The safety-nicks would have a field day with that!!!) Also for them the right hand spike may not have been a danger because they didn't throw themselves along the tube as we do. They actually had to ram a projo.

s/f

DJM
          Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
          (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Anyone else notice that there are no big boys as drivers?
            Barry Smithson

Comment

Minnie Drivers?

Originally posted by Barry Smithson
              Anyone else notice that there are no big boys as drivers?
              Wellington F. Clouser, lead driver of Gun #3 was a "strapping" lad of 5'3". The gentleman who is in that position in the picture does not match the image of Well that is in my collection. This should not be too much of a surprise as all cannoneers were trained as drivers, and all drivers were trained as cannoneers (as per the FAT). Well (his nickname in the Battery) actually strongly resembles the gentleman posing at the #1 position of the third detachment (first gun on the right in the image). That fellow also appears to be fairly small. It could be photo-documentation of cross-training artillerists! Well was one of the first privates to volunteer to be a driver in the Battery and held that position through his muster-out in 1865, with only a slight break to recuperate from being shot in the behind by a stray bullet while relaxing in his tent during the seige of Petersburg. That's quite a painful wound for an arty driver!
              Mark A. Pflum
              Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
              Member:
              CMH
              AHA
              Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Working...
              X