Heavy Artillery on Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Artillery on Parade

Came across this image of the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery at Ft. Monroe, a good image in and of it's self. However, on a closer look if you get the picture into a large view, it appears that atleast for this occasion they are equiped as infantry, judging stricktly by objects in hand. All in all it's a nice image of heavy artillery not at their guns.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=Black]Nicholas A. Keen
    Cannoneer Battery B, 3rd Penna. Artillery
    "When our boys went about the citizens they seemed surly and unaccomadating and showed no disposition to grant us any favors, for which I could not blame them because the soldiers I know to be a great nuisance"- Robert Patrick "Reluctant Rebel"
    [url]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/armysystem.php?do=recruit&uniqueid=37[/url]
    Harper's Weekly May 4 1861: "War they have invoked; war let them have; and God be the judge between us."

"There is nothing so exhilarating in life as to be shot at without effect."

- Winston Churchill

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Heavy Artillery on Parade

Nick,

I am not surprised they are equipped as infantry, as it was my understanding that heavy artillery was typically cross-trained as infantry. There are numerous images of heavy units in the ring forts of DC wearing cartridge boxes. I am surprised by what looks like sky blue trousers on everyone. I thought heavy artillery units typically wore dark blue trousers, but I'm no expert.
    Lawrence E. Kingsley
    BTTY F, 1st PA LT ATTY

Comment

The 3rd PA heavy did a lot of guard duty at Fortress Monroe. They also served on light ships as guards on the ship. They had the honor to guard Jefferson Davis when he was kept at Fortress Monroe.

I own the Colt contract musket and bayonet of Cpl Henry Brown from Snyder County PA who was in the 3rd PA Heavy Artillery and stationed at Fortress Monroe. Upon my demise, the musket and bayonet go to the Snyder County Historical Society so it stays in the area.
      Marc Riddell
      1st Minnesota Co D
      2nd USSS Company C
      Potomac Legion

Comment

Here's a close up of their band. Check out the artillery shakos and the bearskin worn by the Drum Major. Not bad duty.
        Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Two cool details I like in this image, and a second where they've wheeled right into columns of companies in open order:

1) Notice the nice right angle of this soldier's left arm. That is the texbook way to present arms. No staring at the middle band here. The right angle of the left arm is the salute, and his is sharp and well-executed.

2) The drum corps in knapsacks. Cool. Plus, they're laden down with musician swords, too... those drummers must have had a helluva time marching with all that junk on.

These come from LC-DIG-cwpb-03674 - "Fort Monroe, Va. 3d Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery on parade" and LC-DIG-cwpb-03828 - "Fort Monroe, Virginia. 3d Regiment Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery. (152nd Volunteers)."
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ThehosGendar; 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM.
          Jason R. Wickersty
          http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
          Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
          Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
          Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
          Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

2) The drum corps in knapsacks. Cool. Plus, they're laden down with musician swords, too... those drummers must have had a helluva time marching with all that junk on.
            Having actually stood parade more times than I can count with a drum on I would assume they are probably more comfortable than they look with the knapsacks on to counterbalance the weight of the drum... just my opinion.
            Cheers,
            [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Originally posted by VA-Patriot'61 View Post
              Having actually stood parade more times than I can count with a drum on I would assume they are probably more comfortable than they look with the knapsacks on to counterbalance the weight of the drum... just my opinion.
              Oh, probably. Knapsacks aren't really a problem, as my drum corps marches with them all time. It's a little annoying when going uphill and trying to get a good breath while fifing, but, it's something you get used. Combine that with the musician's sword flopping at your side, and it was all the more annoying. Kind of why I hate carrying the things. But, of course, with time, you find that nice comfy spot where everything just flows, so, who knows.
              Jason R. Wickersty
              http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
              Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
              Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
              Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
              Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Originally posted by ThehosGendar View Post
                Two cool details I like in this image, and a second where they've wheeled right into columns of companies in open order:

1) Notice the nice right angle of this soldier's left arm. That is the texbook way to present arms. No staring at the middle band here. The right angle of the left arm is the salute, and his is sharp and well-executed.

These come from LC-DIG-cwpb-03674 - "Fort Monroe, Va. 3d Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery on parade" and LC-DIG-cwpb-03828 - "Fort Monroe, Virginia. 3d Regiment Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery. (152nd Volunteers)."
                Yes, very nice series. I discovered these images several years ago and used an extract from one of them in my Watchdog article, "It is a hard thing to make a good salute." (See attachment).

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Even though my Avatar is kind of hard to make out, it's me wearing a knapsack and playing a Bass Drum. Never had any problem with the combination.
                  Rick Bailey
                  Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

I am not surprised they are equipped as infantry, as it was my understanding that heavy artillery was typically cross-trained as infantry.
                    My great grandfather was in the 117th OVI that was changed by orders of the war department to the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery.

I am surprised by what looks like sky blue trousers on everyone. I thought heavy artillery units typically wore dark blue trousers, but I'm no expert.
                    I'm no expert either, but I have an image of my great grandfather in his uniform that I thought I had posted on the forum before, but I can't find it, so here it is again, in what appears to be sky blue trowsers. :-)
                    Linda Trent
                    [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
                    It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

There's also numerous accounts of Heavy Arty units in the fighting at Cold Harbor in '64. I'm sure there are those more knowledgable on the subject than I.

I became interested in the 1st Conn. Hvy Arty after finding out they occupied the family grounds and kept their stores there during the Peninsula campaign.
                      Cheers,
                      [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Gang, HA units were issued standard army uniforms. Standard army issue did not differentiate as to color trousers for a specific branch. Trousers are trousers, foot or mounted pattern. HA units were issued red piped frocks and standard fatigue blouses (sack coats). In the field around Petersburg you would be hard pressed to tell them apart from any other infantry unit. These very large regiments (2400 on paper) fought with distinction and truly awful casualties in the Overland Campaign...as infantry. What they lacked in experience they made up in desperate courage.

Don Troiani captured this courage well in his painting "Forlorn Hope" about the 1st Maine HA's slaughter in 15 minutes at Petersburg June 18, 1864

They made a big difference once Grant realized his reeinforcements were manning the forts around DC with little to do.

One wag in the AoP during the Overland Campaign relates an incident when a new HA regiment arrived and the veterans asked "what regiment is this?" A man in the marching column replied "1st Maine!" A bit later on, the same question was asked. The same answer came back "1st Maine!" That's when the vets realized this was a different animal - regiments the size of brigades.
                        Last edited by DougCooper; 03-24-2007, 09:50 AM.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Yes they really did fight hard at Cold Harbor. A few years back the Columbia Rifles did a living history at Cold Harbor and a few of us were guests. We did an early morning Sunday march of one of the newer regiments and their first experience (can't remember now if HA), but they were new and Kevin O'Beirne made a presentation that was so good you felt as if you were in the regiment marching to the front at Cold Harbor and I could imagine what they faced and felt. I see the CRs are going back to Cold Harbor this year and it should be an excellant event.
                          Marc Riddell
                          1st Minnesota Co D
                          2nd USSS Company C
                          Potomac Legion

Comment

Comrades,

Speaking of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery, there is a wonderful account by John West Haley in his memoirs "The Rebel Yell and The Yankee Hurrah" about seeing them at Spotsylvania.

Haley recounts that the 17th Maine (his regiment) was sent to support a Brigade in trouble. When they arrived, they discovered that the "brigade" was the 1st Maine HA. The unit was so large compared to normal regiments that it had been mistaken for an entire brigade.

The HA regiments were not at all happy when Grant ordered them out of their comfy forts and into the field. In fact, the 1st Maine had left DC with nearly everything they owned. Their knapsacks were filled with newly-issued clothing and luxury goods, their wagons carried all the regimental desks, tenatge, etc. They were like a small legion on the march, and it wasn't till Spotsylvania that they were divested of much of their items. John Haley tells of how that particular event occured as well.

Respects,
                            Tim Kindred
                            Medical Mess
                            Solar Star Lodge #14
                            Bath, Maine

Comment

ArtilleryNick,

Do you know what timeframe this particular photo is? Its very possible my ancestor is in that photo somewhere.

He was with the 3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery until around early spring of 1863 when he transferred over to the Co. "D" 45th Pennsylvania Militia...

His name was Private. William Search from Bucks Co., Pennsylvania just above Philadelphia!

Thanks,
                              Savannah Republican Blues
                              [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
                              James F. Dunigan III
                              1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                              "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Comment

Working...
                              X