Researching hearing loss and the artillery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Researching hearing loss and the artillery

When I shot for the U.S. Army's All-Army Reserve Rifle Team, I conducted a hearing survey of our shooters. All of them had a medically diagnosed high frequency hearing loss. We shot National Match M-14s at the time. The loss was more pronounced in the ear opposite one's handedness, because that was the ear closest to the muzzle.

At my request, the pistol team captain surveyed his troops. Exactly the same thing, only in their situation the loss matched the hand they shot with because they shot NRA three-gun bullseye with one hand. The ear closest to the muzzle.

The Veterans Administration says that I'm official disabled. When I shoot now, I use ear plugs and ear muffs to try and save what I have left. I have ringing in my ears and I have some difficulty in hearing women and children.

Anyone who shoots anything without wearing ear protection is dumber than the rocks in my driveway, and will soon hear just about as well.

Regrds,
    Don Dixon

Comment

Gentlemen, this thread has been most enlightening. Thank you for all of your valuable input. I think I shall bring a pair of ear-pluggers to my next event.
      Brandon R. Lewis
      Co. C 2nd Mississippi, 150th Manasas
      Co. G 89th New York, 150th Fredericksburg
      Co. K 2nd U.S. Cavalry

Comment

One should remember that most pictures taken during the Civil War were posesd, or did all infantrymen carry multiple pistols and Bowie knives?
        Regards,
        Jeffrey Cohen
        Jeffrey Cohen

Comment

Page 16 of the NPS Artillery Manual states: All demonstrators will wear appropriate hearing protection.
          They say nothing about the process of covering ears but drill based on HBF.
          [B]Greg Cocco
          1st Pa Light Artillery Battery G[/B]

Comment

As Greg states no covering of ears, that is a made up move. But for your SA modern infantry (Marines) are issued earplugs, artillerymen use them, Aircraft Mechs use them...I have hearing loss from all of the above (10% disabled due to heaering loss)
            Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
            (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X