Improving Artillery Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Improving Artillery Uniforms

"Detailed Minutiae Of Soldier Life In The Army Of Northern Virginia (Part 1)
    BY CARLTON McCARTHY,
    Private of Second company Richmond Howitzers, Cutshaw's Battalion. "

I think it has been well proven that the generalities McCarthy makes are not proven out by the vast majority of the evidence, both written and photo. He joined the army in 1864 and yet waxes philosophic on many things he could only have heard from others or embellished on his own...and somehow became an expert on all things infantry. Some of it is hyperbole, but much of it just plain wrong.

The knapsack vanished early in the struggle. It was found that it was inconvenient to "change" the underwear too often, ...Certainly it did not pay to carry around clean clothes while waiting for the time to use them.

The haversack held its own to the last, and was found practical and useful. It very seldom, however, contained rations, but was used to carry all the articles generally carried in the knapsack; of course the stock was small. Somehow or other, many men managed to do without the haversack, and carried absolutely nothing but what they wore and had in their pockets. The infantry threw away their heavy cap boxes and cartridge boxes, and carried their caps and cartridges in their pockets. Canteens were very useful at times, but they were as a general thing discarded.

The enclosed photo is among hundreds that refute McCarthy's nearly naked, unencumbered big pocketed superman who needed neither clothes or equipment, nor much food nor much water, but could whip all hell.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 03-23-2008, 02:27 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug,

You are quite right and I have always found it interesting how he spoke with great authority on the early days of the war, since he only enlisted in '64. He certainly didn't object to the "ragged rebel" stereotype.

As for knapsacks and canteens. Here is the infomation I have found so far in my research from just the Jeff Davis and Orange Artillery of Carter's Battalion. These represent items received on the given date/range of dates.

Jeff Davis Artillery
      20 knapsacks 10/1/63-10/8/63
      7 knapsacks 10/31/63
      50 knapsacks 12/28/63
      50 canteens 12/28/63
      50 canteen straps 12/28/63

Orange Artillery
      13 knapsacks 10/1/63-10/8/63
      4 knapsacks 5/12/64 (lost/captured)
      11 canteens 5/12/64 (lost/captured)

This information comes from the CMSR of Dwight E. Bates, R.H. Christian and William J. Reese of the Jeff Davis Artillery and Charles William Fry and William A. Massie of the Orange Artillery at the National Archives.
      Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
      Southern Division

Comment

Harry,

If you can get up to Manassas, they have a jacket ID'd to the Washington Artillery. It is interesting because it has red piping, definately an artillery jacket, but it is part of a private purchase made in 1864. Apparently, according to the notes they have, this battery ordered these jackets made to their specs from the Richmond Depot, and paid cash for them as a unit purchase. Richmond was always willing to take special orders, and make custom items, for a price.

The jacket is in really good shape, BTW.

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

Gents,

An observation on the mounted service jacket? that Mark Bond posted...

It seems similar to a low-collared jacket issued in PA, original was posted here of a enlistedman of Bty F - 1st PA Light by Randy Gilbert.
          The Bty F jacket only had one row of red trim versus the standard US two rows.
          It is currently being reproduced by Nick ************.

Can't see any red trim on this jacket, but was visible on the Bty. F jacket.

Curious if this one is a Maryland issue?

MOST IMPORTANTLY - he's missing his bottom button!
          And I thought I was a farb!

Chris Sedlak
          Last edited by sedlakchristopher; 03-21-2008, 10:00 PM.
          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][/FONT]
          Christopher Sedlak
          Iron City Guards
          (1st PA Light Art'y- Bt'y G / 9th PA Res. - Co. C)
          [B][FONT="Arial"][I]"Sole purveyor of the finest corn silk moustaches as seen in the image above, adhesive not included"[/I][/FONT][/B]

Comment

I have just about finished looking at all the compiled military service records for Jones', Andrews' and Carter's Battalions of the 2nd Corps Artillery, less the Louisiana Guard Artillery and the First Maryland Artillery (only looked at records for Andrews, Dement, Hill and Contee) and Chesapeake Artillery. I have also looked at all the records for the Rockbridge Artillery which was 2nd Corps Reserve Artillery and the Monroe Artillery with served in the Army of Western Virginia

On the issue of footwear. The only references which appear are for shoes. The Staunton Artillery did recieve on 21 Aug '63 English (4pr), French (1pr) and Canvas (2pr) shoes, but these are the only reference to anything other than shoes. Not once in any of these batteries does the term boots, brogans or bootees appear. Of the 11 batteries I have looked at completely in 2nd Corps shoes is the only term for footwear used.

In the spring of '64, most batteries, in addition to shoes, were being issued leather and shoe thread for the repair of shoes. The actual purpose for the thread is noted on some of the special requisitions.

If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to ask as I am happy to share what I have found.
            Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
            Southern Division

Comment

Harry,

Hello!

In my previous post I added a photo of Private Charles C. Wintling from the 1st MD, US artillery.

In the photo I can’t make out what type of shoe he is wearing. It doesn’t appear to me that these are Brogans but a private bought pair of black leather lower cut shoe. I have seen other photos of different units with the same looking footwear.

Do you what was actually issued? Was it common practice to buy your own footwear and wear black shoes or boots? I haven’t found any period information on this unit’s footwear other then the basic Army uniform issue.

I haven’t found any letters from any of the unit’s members who talk about boots or shoes. I only have this photo that shows one private’s footwear.

I do have a photo of Captain Rigby who was the Battery Commander for the 1st MD, Light Artillery, Battery A, U.S. that a friend in Maryland found and sent me.
              Attached Files
              Respectfully,
              Mark Bond
              [email]profbond@cox.net[/email]
              Federal Artillery

Comment

Mark,

The have only been looking at Confederate Records. So far I have only seen shoes listed in the records.

Perhaps someone else can provide a better analysis of the footwear in the photo you posted.

The only surviving Confederate shoes associated with artillery of which I know of are from Private M. Page Lapham of the 2nd Company, Washington Artillery. They are shown in Echos of Glory on Pg 175.

Without any other information, I would guess that canoneers would have worn normal issue "brogans" which are referred to in the requisitions as simple shoes. Cannoneers spent most of their time marching along with that battery so they would have wanted to wear a good marching shoe. Without any reference toany other types of footwear it would appear drivers and cannoneers of light artillery would have been wearing the same footwear in 2nd Corps, ANV.

I can't recall any special requisitions for shoes which were not filled or in which the number of shoes requested was not filled completely. Occasionally requisitions for other items were not filled or not filled completely. All requisitions seem to also have been filled they day they items were requested.

On a note with footwear, dispite the numbers of shoes which I have seen issued, there are very few mentions of socks in the speacil requisitions.
                Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
                Southern Division

Comment

Even though I am an Assistant Surgeon attached to the battery, the unit was short handed this past weekend and I was "drafted" to serve as the #4. I enjoyed myself enough to decide that I need to get a cap a jacket to keep in the car for those times I get "drafted." Just needed an excuse to add to the collection. We do ANV artillery so I'm going with a Ben Tart vegetable dyed type 2 Richmond Depot Jacket (no branch trim) with block A buttons. Maybe perhaps a mix of block A and I, but I'm not sure.

The big question I have is with the headcover. Not sure what direction to go here. Obviously a well made civilian hat will fit the bill.

But in my research on 2nd Corps ANV artillery, there seems to be a fair number of "caps" issued which I am interpreting to be the kepi.

Here are the references to "caps" I have found in the CMSR of 2nd Corps Artillery ANV.

Charlottesville Artillery

James McD Carrington
                  Special requisition 21 aug 63
                  2 caps

Staunton Artillery (organized 1 Nov 59)

Muster Roll jun 30 61
                  The company entered service with an excellent cadet gray uniform in good condition and which cost $20.50 each and had not been damages more than $2.50 or $3.00 each. They have since been supplied by the County of Augusta with a suit around consisting of a gray cap, red flannel shirt, gray woolen pants and wollen socks. The state has furnished no clothing. They have good tents purchased and paid for by the captain out of his private means costing $298.

Asher W. Garber
                  Special requisition 5 sep 63 (to clothe recruits)
                  1 cap
                  Special requisition 21 oct 63
                  1 cap

Michael C. Garber
                  Special requisition 13 aug 63 (clothing for recruit)
                  1 cap

First Maryland Artillery

R. Snowden Andrews (filed under General and Staff Officers)
                  Special requisition 2 jul 61
                  50 caps
                  Special requisition 31 jul 61
                  54 caps
                  Received 31 oct 61
                  50 caps

Lee Artillery (VA)

Charles W. Stratham
                  Invoice Oct 5, 1863
                  39 caps

Orange Artillery

Charles William Fry
                  Special requisition 2 April 62
                  50 caps

Second Richmond Howitzers (VA)(filed under 1st VA Artillery)

Lorraine F. Jones
                  Special requisition 23 Jun 64
                  14 caps

David Watson
                  Special requisition 11 Nov 63
                  8 caps

Second Richmond Howitzers (VA)

Lorraine F. Jones
                  Special Requisition 28 March 1864
                  2 caps

Rockbridge Artillery

Archibald Graham
                  Special requisition 10 nov 63
                  10 caps
                  Special requisition 29 mar 64
                  3 caps

Given that EOG has several examples of "red" in artillery kepis, what do others think about the wear of the kepi and also the color of it for progressive artillery?
                  Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
                  Southern Division

Comment

The only surviving Confederate shoes associated with artillery of which I know of are from Private M. Page Lapham of the 2nd Company, Washington Artillery. They are shown in Echos of Glory on Pg 175.
                    The Page Lapham shoes are in the collection of the Museum of the Confederacy.

In addition to these pair of shoes, I believe the Museum also has the boots (yes, boots) of Corp. T.V. Brooke of the Richmond Howitzers.

Paul B.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

What would be the correct uniform for a Artillery man in North Carolina? I have been a reenactor for 5 years now, and is looking into Confederate Artillery. Would a cannoneer have light blue pants, grey shell jacked with red cuffs and collar, and either a Artillery Kepi or red forage cap? I am just curious. I want to have an accurate portrayal of a soldier in the Artillery. Thanks!
                      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Your Obedient Servant[/FONT],
                      [B]Daniel L. Gray[/B]
                      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Lil' Bastid's Mess[/SIZE][/FONT]

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Daniel,

The question is what time period and where are you portraying NC artillery? Also, please reread this thread as it is full of info on artillery uniforms, etc. Also, there is a thread on here, use the search function about light blue pants in CS ranks. The AC is full of good info on uniforms, etc so use the search function and read, you'll learna ton. Very Respectfully,
                        Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
                        Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
                        5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

ContinentalMorganGuard,

Thanks very much!
                          [B]Daniel L. Gray[/B]

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

And then of course there is the uniform in the MOC worn by T.V. Brooke of the Richmond Howitzers consisting of sky blue kersey CS issue trowsers and a 4 button brown jean jacket, with a brown felt slouch hat and not a speck of red to be found....., or the brown jean jacket with shell buttons, blue wool shirt, and brown jean trowsers worn by a member of McRae's South Carolina Battery....thanks.
                            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Daniel,

Until you have settled on a unit, period of the war and theater of the war which you are trying to portray, you might want to just focus on the basics which will work anywhere like your shirt, drawers, shoes, socks etc...

Then once you have a unit in mind they will probably have some guidelines, or at least better have some guidelines as to what you will need for your jacket, trousers, etc... and you will already have the basics worked out. Your friend Chessa and her civilian group should be able to give good guidance on the civilian items you need.
                              Harry Aycock

Chief Surgeon
                              Southern Division

Comment

I have settled on a unit, and is currently talking with them about uniforms and such.

I will talk with her about civilian items!

Thanks very much!
                                [B]Daniel L. Gray[/B]

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Working...
                                X