Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

150th Battle of Shiloh - Mounted Cavalry Adjunct!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150th Battle of Shiloh - Mounted Cavalry Adjunct!

any updastes on those ranger saddle pics??
    Cpl. Joseph Lambert
    7th TN Co.D

Comment

To those who are planning to participate in the Corinth to Shiloh ride, the 21 mile trek will arrive at the actual ground that Forrest engaged Sherman on what was to be called, "Fallen Timbers". We will engage Federal infantry on this same ground! I recently traveled the route that we will be using and let me tell you that arriving upon such hallowed ground made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

The Shiloh park historian, Stacy Allen, made a short video a few days ago, of the very property that we will ride and engage on and I want to share it with you. The link is below................enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/33033456

regards,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hello gentlemen,

Just wanted to bump this up as we get into the Holiday timeframe because I want all who desire to participate in this epic adjunct to have all the info necessary and all of the time to prepare that you need. A couple of points to mention again:

a) I ask that you go back and read some of my earlier posts on times, dates, etc. and to especially remember that you must email Keith Willingham ( unclekeith16@aol.com ) and tell him who you are and that you intend on making the Corinth to Shiloh ride. There is no registration cost for this, but the email is mandatory. Please don't forget to take sixty seconds and comply.

b) You may remember that I mentioned riding this route a month or so ago and I want you all to know that while a lot of it is on old roads, some of them are paved (rough, but paved) and for safety you must have your horse well shod going into the ride and I would suggest that you might want to use borium or drill-tech to help with traction. Since this is something that needs to be planned and acted upon well in advanced, please don't be caught short on it. We will have a couple of farriers riding, but no need to risk it by not being well-shod.

Also, don't forget to register with the Blue/Gray Alliance for the main portion of the event. See earlier posts for details.

Well, thanks for you interest and I hope you all have a wonderful and Happy Christmas!!

regards,
        Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

"you might want to use borium or drill-tech to help with traction"

Are these period-correct methods?
          [I][SIZE=3]Jeff Gibson[/SIZE][/I]
          [SIZE=3][I]Consolidated Independent Rangers[/I][/SIZE]
          [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Nope, but neither is sliding down-hill on asphalt.

Mark
            J. Mark Choate
            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Since this has come up, what are the acceptable methods of shoeing a horse for this event? Toe clips, turn ins, etc. My farrier is willing to hammer out a custom set from flat stock if needed.
              [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Jeff,

Since this event will cover a lot of miles and every type of terrain and surface imaginable (ie. new and old pavement, gravel, dirt, pasture, mud, etc.), shoe your horse in the fashion that is most secure for said surfaces and that you feel is best for the gait and movement of the horse.

In other words, safety rules in this matter.

regards,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Any of ya'll ever used bovi-bond? it's an epoxy you can put on the hooves and file down to make a neat temporary shoe w/out hammerin nails into your hoof wall.
                  John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                  "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

John' more info please, that sounds interesting to me as I always feel uncomfortable on horses that are steel shod and on pavement. Thanks. plm
                    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

if you want to be ready for what ever surface you will encounter drill teck or borium is what i would use.you can only use it in the front and have good results or put it all around and not have to worry as to your performance.it is not period but asphalt roads are not either.i use it on any horse i have shod have done so for 30 years. ronnie tucker 7tn
                      Ronnie Tucker,
                      Chief of Scouts
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Comment

My farrier is wiling to hand forge a set for me to be more true to the period. But if they won't work I will take your suggestion. I guess Old Macs are out of the question!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie Tucker View Post
                          if you want to be ready for what ever surface you will encounter drill teck or borium is what i would use.you can only use it in the front and have good results or put it all around and not have to worry as to your performance.it is not period but asphalt roads are not either.i use it on any horse i have shod have done so for 30 years. ronnie tucker 7tn
                          I'll second this post. I've used the borium nubs on shoes and never been disappointed.
                          Jerry Orange
                          Horse sweat and powder smoke; two of my favorite smells.

Comment

Mark and Ken,

Would the tan Federal blanket be an acceptable saddle blanket? I have found myself with two of them and I am wondering if they would be an acceptable alternative. If not, I'll just buy, beg, borrow, or steal a blue one!
                            Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Andrew, Sorry but no. While it is possible if not even likely that an early regiment such as the 11th would be issued variances of the same piece of equipment and, lacking solid evidence to the contrary, our goal is to present a uniform, early war, recent issue appearance. If we accept deviation from that goal for one piece of equipment then we open up Pandora's box to deviate from the standard in other items as well. So, to be uniform and consistent lets stick with the same blanket standards for everyone in the regiment. Personally, I like the blue with the woven orange strip as best but grey as noted, is acceptable.
                              Having said that, I have an extra blue/orange stripe you may borrow if you will remind me prior to the event so I can bring it with me.
                              I am sorry,

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Ken, thank you for the feedback! Like I said I ended up with two so I thought that I would ask. I understand that letting in one would mean making a mess and I don't want any exceptions made for me or mine. I thank you for the offer of the loan and will be sure to remind you before the event.
                                Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Working...
                                X