Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mentor/Recruit program

Ross,

Mighty glad to have stepping forward and showing interest in the program. You are very well-respected in the hobby and to have you involved will be a plus for all concerned! We have had some fine cavalrymen offer their experience and knowledge thus far and Ken and I are refining that list along with the structure/track that the mentors will follow. It will not be too rigid as that might not allow the mentor's individual strengths to come through and we don't want to impede that. But, we do want a degree of consistency for all going through the program.

It won't be long and thanks again for "jining up."

Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Cavalry Mentor Announcement!!!

To All:

Ken Knopp and I are pleased to announce the following "Cavalry Mentors" who will serve as the initial vanguard in this program. These men have worked very hard over the years to put forth the very best overall mounted cavalry impression and it is our hope that they will convey that to those recruits they will be working with. We already have a few recruits who have stepped forward, so many of these men will be busy really soon.

We want to say that we were very pleased and impressed with the many offerings to help in this regard and while we are starting the program with nine, we hope that we will soon need to expand it out to more. There was also a consideration as to the areas of the country that are covered so if you offered your help and were not selected at this time, it was probably due to geography. We do thank all of you who offered your help!!

So, please join us in congratulating these men in their new and very responsible roles as mentors to new authentic cavalrymen. They are listed alphabetically and displaying the areas in which they reside:

Joe Alliston - Mississippi
      Mark Bridges - Tennessee
      Rob Bruno - Maryland
      Dan Chmelar - Iowa
      Andrew German - CT.
      Jeff Gibson - Florida
      Dave Myrick - Maryland
      Jerry Ross - Tennessee
      Zack Ziarnek - Illinois

Also, at this time we are posting the outline for training that the Cav Mentors will be using. Note that while there are guidelines to ensure consistency of training, it is not so binding that the individual strengths of the mentor cannot shine through.

AUTHENTIC CAMPAIGNER MENTOR/RECRUIT PROGRAM OUTLINE

*It is for the Mentor to accept responsibility for the Recruit’s tutoring through this program.

1. For this program, each recruit should concentrate on only one impression then build from it. So, the Mentor must determine the recruit’s “preferred” impression....i.e. Federal or Confederate, Eastern vs Western or TM or even civilian (and of course, its potential influence in any identity). A generic, mid-war impression should be considered from which to build upon.

2. Mentors should make effective recommendations for pertinent reading materials (books, articles, websites) to aid the Recruit in educating himself on the proper “authentic” attitude, look, lifestyle, clothing, equipment, early/mid/late war changes, etc. for the type impression he seeks.

3. To start, have the Recruit send photos (or better: make a physical inspection) of “each” item of his “current” clothing, accoutrements, tack, etc. Go over each item with the Recruit. Make suggestions for improvement where needed. If needed, guide the Recruit to high quality vendors for each individual item or perhaps, show him how he can build or construct his own.

*Stress attention to the details! Inspect for the proper patterns, hardware, leather, stitching, etc.
      Including at a minimum:
      Uniform: Hat, footwear, trousers, coat, shirt, socks (extras if necessary).
      Accoutrements: Belt, cartridge box, cap box, canteen, haversack (extras if necessary).
      Saddlery: Saddle, Saddle blanket, bridle (& halter), bit, (extras if necessary).
      Weapons: As necessary....Long arm, pistol, sabre
      Personal items: Housewife, eye glasses, period food, eating utensils, tobacco use, cravats, etc.

4. Questions? Instruct the Recruit (if necessary) on “how” to use the Search Engine (first!), then “what”, “when” and “where” to ask questions on the A/C. The Mentor should serve as a “filter” for initial posts.

5. Attend an event with the Recruit if possible. Be sure to help with other needs (as necessary) in horsemanship and safety issues and, expanding other impression aspects such as campaign preparation, traveling light, camping, period food, etc.

6. Final physical exam: The Mentor must make a physical or photo inspection (in detail) of the improved impression. Obtain photos of his kit and present it to the Cavalry Forum mods.

7. Both the Mentor and Mods must officially accept and sign off on the recruit as a “Cavalryman”. Recruit can thereafter use this moniker on the AC if desired.

In closing, we want to congratulate these men and the others who will come and recall that our goal in all of this is to Educate, Grow and Retain those men who have an interest and passion in the horsemen of the War Between the States!

regards,
      Mark Choate and Ken Knopp
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Re: Mentor/Recruit program ANNOUNCEMENT!

Since I see you have no one for Virginia, and I just now heard about this program, havent had much time lately, I would be glad to lend my services for mentor in Virginia. It's pretty much what I've been doing for years anyway.
        Todd Kern
        Todd Kern

Comment

Thanks, Todd and we appreciate it. The next areas we were wanting to expand into would be the Virginia/Carolina area and Texas, as well. Georgia is in there as well and we have a volunteer for it. Hopefully, if this gets up and grows, we will have as many mentors as we do U.S. Senators. And Heaven knows they will do a better job...........:wink_smil

Thanks,
          Mark
          Last edited by Mark Choate; 09-07-2011, 01:39 PM.
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Mark,
            I'll take Kentuck,
            Ethan Harrington
            ethan harrington

Comment

I really like this idea. I'd be happy to help anyone in the deep south or the lower Trans Mississippi, especially Louisiana and Texas.
              Larry Morgan
              Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Ethan and Larry,

Thank you both for stepping up and volunteering your services in this endeavor. You can be assured that as this program grows (and it appears that it will) we will need more and more quality help like to make it happen.

regards,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Mentor/Recruit program

My name is Gary Glaser and I am the sergeant of the 9th New York Cavalry Co. A. I am located in Southern Ontario, Canada. If there is anything I can do, I would be happy to help out, do not hesitate to contact me at sgtgaryglaser@hotmail.com or visit us on the web at www.9thnycavalry.com.
                  Thank You
                  Gary Glaser

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt9thcav View Post
                    Mentor/Recruit program

My name is Gary Glaser and I am the sergeant of the 9th New York Cavalry Co. A. I am located in Southern Ontario, Canada. If there is anything I can do, I would be happy to help out, do not hesitate to contact me at sgtgaryglaser@hotmail.com or visit us on the web at www.9thnycavalry.com.
                    Thank You
                    Gary Glaser
                    Gary,

Based on some of your web site pics, your group reminds me a lot of Florida reenacting.

Hope we can all improve our impressions together!

Mike Nickerson
                    Last edited by Mike Nickerson; 12-22-2011, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hello Mike

These are pictures from events that our group were a part of, I only know one gentleman in the above picture, the one on the far right and he is part of the 6th Ohio, these were taken at Pierce Creek in New York state, the others I do not know. If you look at the other pictures, these are from smaller local event that we have her in Canada an I would like to think that the impressions are not that bad, please let me know if I an mistaken.

Yours
                      Gary Glaser

Thank You
                      Gary Glaser

Comment

Just a reminder to all, the Cavalry COI Forum and specifically the Mentor program was established to allow those that are new to the authentic side of the hobby a place to post questions and topics that would not typically be endorsed or sanctioned on the "Cavalry Discussion" Forum. In short, it is a place to ask, learn, grow and develop. So, more leniency is given to the newer ones posting.

That being said and Gary while we are really glad to have you on board and posting, there are a number of things displayed in the photo that are not used in an authentic portrayal of cavalrymen of the War Between the states. I do not choose to pick the photo apart in public (we can chat off line if you wish), and this is not an indictment of anything you are doing in Canada, but hopefully as you are involved with the A/C forums you will pick up lots of good info that will help with the honing of the impressions.

Thanks again for posting!

regards,
                        Mark
                        J. Mark Choate
                        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
                          Just a reminder to all, the Cavalry COI Forum and specifically the Mentor program was established to allow those that are new to the authentic side of the hobby a place to post questions and topics that would not typically be endorsed or sanctioned on the "Cavalry Discussion" Forum. In short, it is a place to ask, learn, grow and develop. So, more leniency is given to the newer ones posting.

That being said and Gary while we are really glad to have you on board and posting, there are a number of things displayed in the photo that are not used in an authentic portrayal of cavalrymen of the War Between the states. I do not choose to pick the photo apart in public (we can chat off line if you wish), and this is not an indictment of anything you are doing in Canada, but hopefully as you are involved with the A/C forums you will pick up lots of good info that will help with the honing of the impressions.

Thanks again for posting!

regards,
                          Mark
                          Well said Mark!

Mike Nickerson

PS: For what it's worth, that was my best effort at "more leniency being given"! ;)

Comment

Thank You for the input, All the people in the picture in question are American, as stated in a earlier response, that has not been posted, please look at the other pictures, And please feel free to e mail me as my personal address is posted.

I have been re enacting for app. 20 years as a mounted trooper and seen a lot of things in this time, all I wanted was to introduce myself and help out if need.
                            Thank You and I am sorry that I posted this information.

Comment

Nothing to be sorry about, Gary, we are glad to have you on the A/C. We will chat more and thank you for having a solid attitude. A good attitude will overcome almost everything.

regards,
                              Mark
                              J. Mark Choate
                              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Mark, I would also like to help out in any way.
                                Thanks to you and Ken for ya'lls hard work !

Chris Stewart
                                7th TN Cav, Co D

Comment

Working...
                                X