Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Horses Available

Originally posted by ButtermilkRanger View Post
    six very nice 2 year old gaited mules sold for $50 ea.
    Did you hear it?! We have wood floors and my jaw hurts now. Even woke momma up. My question Larry, is why didn't I get a call? A $50 mule, gol'dern I got that in my back pocket! Do ya'll realize that broke to ride mules with even a hint of potential go for $1500 up? I ran into a guy today who asked me if any of our mules were for sale by the way haha.
    John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
    "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

At this anish sale I want to, The first critter out in the arena was a zebra legged, line backed dun jenny that got all the way to 400.00 .Thankfully It was " no saled". That's when I started to regret not bringing a trailer. I almost bought a mule that ride and drives for 1200.00 but talked myself out of it. plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Prices for GOOD mules are always up. Of course, most horsemen will argue that there's no such thing as a good mule. Those mule colts hadn't been handled much and at a sale barn, there just isn't much market for a saddle mule. You can get a decent one at a sale for a rock bottom price, but you better be mule savvy enough to know how to fix his problems, 'cause he's bound to have quite a few. I'm a mule man and I've seen some decent ones go through the sale barn at good prices, but you've got to have an eye for what you want. Mike hit the nail on the head about the economy. I wanted those mule colts bad enough to taste it, but I got to thinking about having another mouth to feed and I decided not to take the chance.

$1200 isn't a bad price for a good mule, but it's more than I'm willing to pay around here. The most I've ever paid for a mule was $700 and that was stretching it. Of course, I've never personally paid over $500 for a good horse, either. I guess it's all in what you want and where you shop.
        Larry Morgan
        Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Ventura View Post
          There are a lot of good horses in GA at very rock bottom prices. It's the economy. Many people who rode or kept and boarded a horse for a kid to ride can't afford it any more. The local sales prices here are a joke.
          I'm a newbie to cav, but that's good to know. I'd LOVE to do cav, but I have heard hidden expenses do scare many people that would be interested. Is there an online place where cav total costs can be estimated for an authentic impression?
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

Sometimes this stuff is over analyzed. But yes, it is expensive because of the layers involved.

First layer: The unifom and accoutrements. No biggie here as it is roughly the same as in the infantry.

Second Layer: Saddle and tack. This can total in the $750 to $1000 range or can go to $4000 - $5000 based on a ton of factors and how much you want to invest into originals, etc.

Third Layer: The Horse and upkeep. Horse prices are being discussed here. If you have a place to keep them on site it can be managable. If you have to board elsewhere, again it can be all over the chart from $150/mo. to "you name it." Added to either of these scenarios is the following: Feed, hay, Shoeing, vaccinations, coggins, health-certificates, etc. All of this is assuming you have no real health crisis occur.

Fourth Layer: Transportation. Even if you have a pard who you can ride with, you will need the ability to truck and trailer the horse as there are just too many reasons to name that will mandate this. The cost here can be all over the chart, too.

So, past layer number one, the costs can really escalate based on what and how you want to go with it, but even in a spartan endeavor there will be costs on all of those other levels.

All this being said, don't let it discourage you from trying it as we in this side of the hobby are often loaning horses to new fellas to try this out. So, select an event, give us a call and let's try to get you in the saddle!

thx,
            Mark
            p.s. Do you have experience riding?
            J. Mark Choate
            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark,
              Great reply. If I may, I would like to add a Fifth Layer to your list

Fifth Layer: Time. It is amazing how much time it takes for the upkeep and training that is required. Good horses have to be ridden and exercised in order to stay in shape. No different then a human athelete. You still have to maintain some degree of exposure to your mount even in the winter. Yeah it sucks trying to feed, fix fence, bust ice, etc when it is 20below.
              Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
              Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

To Johnny and anyone else who is thinking of doing cavalry but is afraid of the costs; Start out small and buy and trade and make as you go. Before I got my first horse 20 years ago, I worried about all the expenses and talked myself out of it all the time. Finally a friend said "just do it " I did and NEVER regretted it. I know that this is not real sage wisdom ,nor does it apply equally to all situations, but It's worth consideration. Mentors and good mess mates and the COI will all ease you into cavalry. If there is anything I can do to help...ask. Remember, you can lead a horse to water...but a pencil has to be lead. plm
                Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

To All,
                  I just got off the phone with some one in this area that a friend of hers just past away and has 25 horses to "do something with" because the family can't afford to keep them. I am only saying this because of many factors today, there are plenty of horses out there to be had for nothing or next to nothing. Mark makes a good list of others responsibilities that go along with horse ownership. I am also one that would welcome and help anyone interested in going to the mounted side. I would like to see more cavalry but I would even like to see more mounted officers and staff. However, having a horse for the rest of the year besides the 5 or 6 weekends we reenact is a huge responsibility. I don't think this is the case with the members of this board, but I would hate to see the good horses that are available go to people who in another year might be in the same situation in that they didn't realize how much it is to take care of a horse (not even really talking about money here) and have the animals end up needing to go to yet another home. Agian, I encourage anyone that wants to ride at an event to do so. Once you ride at an event no matter what your role, it completely changes your perspective of the hobby and life in the 19th century. I am willing to help with advice or anything people would need. But, I guess I would caution to new folks the quick allure of a new way of doing the hobby with cheap horses that are available.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Very, very true, Rob.

We have all known those who are into reenacting and want to do Cav, that purchase the horse and ride it only at events. Terrible, terrible combination and will sooner rather than later come to a parting of the ways. Like Bill pointed out, the time investment is immense.

I was discussing this matter with someone recently and to really best deal with the day in day out drudgery/work/fun/etc. of this combination rather than have a "historian who wants to get a horse" it is better to have a "horseman who wants to delve into history." That way the burden and cost of the horse is already known and understood.

Let me again close by saying this is not to scare anyone off from getting into the mounted side as heaven knows we need more and could use good men (like Johnny), but it is not a decision to be made lightly.

regards,
                    Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I am new to cav this year and recently purchased my first horse so I can give some perspective from that POV. I did a small event a little over a year ago with a well respected authentic cav group. I quickly realized that I needed some skills that I didn't have so I started taking riding lessons. Three times a week at first for about 5 months. I also rode practically every weekend with a mentor. It was obvious I was pretty serious so after about 8 months my "mentor" suggested (strongly) that it was time I buy my own horse. Luckily I have a place near him so boarding there was a no brainer. Still, I only get to ride on weekends but I do spend time training, doing trail rides, grooming and helping in the stables and sucking up as much info as I can get. Initial cost was not too great, board is about 250 a month winter, 200 summer, a couple hundred every few months for meds, hoof trim/shoeing, another hundred for teeth floating once a year. As long as he stays healthy it should be a manageable expense and I have to say the experience of working with and bonding with one animal is really satisfying, challenging and fulfilling. I can't wait until I can work with him on a daily basis but for now it is pretty great. I was able to procure some awesome tack for about 1200 which I could have put off with loaner gear for a while but I seem to be obsessive. I frankly can't understand how people can never ride, go out on a weekend 4 times a year, jump on a horse and not manage to kill themselves or someone else. I am a fair rider now but know I have a long way to go and couldn't imagine going into the field with less experience than I have.
                      If you have opportunity and desire, riding is an experience not to be missed

Comment

Chris is a great example of a "historian who wants to get a horse" and is also a good example of what it takes for that type of person to get into riding a horse at an event. So, it can be done and with great success. I hope more will follow his or a similar model because it would be great to have more mounted people, not just for the numbers, but for a more authentic atmosphere at an event. Good luck to all who are interested. Again, once you ride at an event, you will never go back.
                        Rob Bruno
                        1st MD Cav
                        http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I hate to sound like I'm pitching an another hobby, but: If you need to get saddle time... Want to continuously be challenged to improve your horsemanship and riding ability... and develop your horse into a bomb-proof animal that could care less if you shoot off of his back or ride him around a bunch of strange horses. Just about every state has one or more cowboy mounted shooting club(s). Every club holds monthly, practices that are well suited for all levels of riders and horses. These people are well versed in teaching basic riding skills and horse desensitizing, all for the price of a $20 to $30 per day practice price. They even have a Cav side class (just don't expect A/C standards on impressions and tack). Check it out at a CMSA club practice near you: http://www.cmsaevents.com/localclubs.cfm

Mike Nickerson

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Nickerson View Post
                            I hate to sound like I'm pitching an another hobby, but: If you need to get saddle time... Want to continuously be challenged to improve your horsemanship and riding ability... and develop your horse into a bomb-proof animal that could care less if you shoot off of his back or ride him around a bunch of strange horses. Just about every state has one or more cowboy mounted shooting club(s). Every club holds monthly, practices that are well suited for all levels of riders and horses. These people are well versed in teaching basic riding skills and horse desensitizing, all for the price of a $20 to $30 per day practice price. They even have a Cav side class (just don't expect A/C standards on impressions and tack). Check it out at a CMSA club practice near you: http://www.cmsaevents.com/localclubs.cfm

Mike Nickerson
                            Not to mention the exposure you could give the hobby by joining such a club, and the recruiting value therein.

And something I've noticed about horse people; we aren't scared to spend money .... if it's horse related.
                            John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                            "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

This is a great thread. I would like to dovetail on that fifth layer...time. I spend sooo much time working my three horses that I really have to make an effort to put other hobbies into my schedule. But the good side of it all is that TIME is what is needed to make a good horse/rider team. Just spending time with your mount is really the key to success IMO. For those of you thinking of picking up a mount, seriously consider the amount of time you will truly need to spend with the horse. Of course it is best to own a place where you can just walk out the door and there he stands. But that is not always the case.

Great comments by all, thanks
                              Phil Gibbons[FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X