Tips and Tricks.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips and Tricks.....

Here's another one. When resting for an extended period of time; loosen your girth and surcingle.
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Yeah, but don't jump your nag without re-tightening them or the top will become the bottom and the bottom will become the top and You could just just end up in a world of hurt.

One thing that was talked about, and finely demonstrated at the 2011 COI was the use of balance when mounting and riding. We should all work on mounting with a loose saddle just in case.
      John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
      "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

John makes a good point - we should also practice mounting from the other side.
        Mike Ventura
        Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Yep it is good to be able to mount from several positions in all conditions.... that's what she said anyways.
          John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
          "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Dont carry so much. Not everyone to carry a brush, curry, and hoof pick. Form a mess and split it up. As long as there are a couple of each in a group you are gtg.
            William L. Shifflett
            Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Absolutely just live out of your blanket roll and saddle bags.
              Down at Shiloh I will form a mess with a friend of mine. I have another one, during spring and fall time, wear or take a woolen shirt. That will keep you a little warmer.

Pvt. Philip Brening
              Philip D. Brening
              Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
              3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Andrew, When you loosen the cinch and surcingle for a break, flip the stirrup strap and stirrup over to the other side and leave it there! It'ss a reminder that your cinch is loose...

Philip, Living off the saddle is a given around here! Many of us here have been doing this since before the CRRC was written... You can "steal" a knapsack hook from a infantryman too, they make good poncho hooks, but I always loose them... Where bouts in Illinois are you from? Welcome aboard....
                [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Thanks. I live north of Paul L Muller's house. So northern IL. I heard about the J hook, but I do not have a knapsack that uses one.
                  And I have more leather string than I need.

Pvt. Philip Brening
                  Philip D. Brening

3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Just remember that when you're campaigning, less is more. Go back and read the outstanding documentation that Will posted concerning the ordanance returns and what Ken has written concerning canteens, haversacks, etc. You don't have to completely inconvenience yourself at every event, just learn to use the buddy system and share. One guy can bring the hoofpick, someone else the brush, etc. You can do the same thing with canteens, cups, and other incidentals. Throw out the skillet and plate and just use a canteen half for both jobs. One of the biggest mistakes most newbies make when learning to campaign is that they approach it with a heavy-camper mindset. They confuse want with need. You'd be amazed at how little you really need to survive a three day campaign. Learn to improvise and share. A ground cloth, a blanket, handfull of twine, small housewife, and a pocket knife will serve you much better than you think and won't take up much space. You'll find pretty quick that you can survive on what you drop in your pockets or roll up in your bedroll. Haversacks are for rations, saddlebags aren't needed, but if you have them, they can easily carry a few little personal amenities like a change of socks, a candle, matches, sleeping cap and a pocket testament. Good luck and happy campaigning!
                    Larry Morgan
                    Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Yeah the saddle bags are used mostly when I do Federal.

Pvt. Philip Brening
                      Last edited by Philip cav; 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM.
                      Philip D. Brening

3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Something too I carry in addition to my housewife is a small tin about 2" X 4" X 3/4" with a couple of harness needles, an awl and a spool of waxed linen thread. great for restitching stuff or heavy repairs to canvas etc...
                        [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                        [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Zach makes a good point, I also carry a small awl, a harness needle and some waxed thread for temporary repairs. Also, a piece of rawhide about 18" long. back in 1861-1865, there would most likely have been a regimental saddler and a farrier to supply those services, but, since we don't have those in our reenactor world, we have to compensate.
                          Mike Ventura
                          Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Everyone!!!

About mid way in this thread (11/22 to be exact), Marse Knopp made a suggestion that may have slipped by some of you. I ask that you go back and read his post on the availability of the book, "Horses, Mules and Ponies and How to Keep", by Henry William Herbert. Mr. Herbert was born in 1807 (same year as Gen. Lee, I believe) and this book is a wonderful tool for some of us that are trying to understand how, what, who, when, where, etc. with regards to horsemanship and day to day equine "stuff" of that era. As you will note from Ken's post it only cost $1.50!!!!!!. I got my copy today and was expecting a 20 page primer (which I would have been o.k. with)........but au contraire.......it is 420 freakin' pages long and chock full of stuff you and I need to know.

At the risk of hacking someone off (on the A/C??? surely you jest?) I will be so bold to say that if you don't have this in your library and for a buck fifty, you don't order it, then you nuts!!!!!!!!

There, I have said it and have it out of my system and you will now be returned to your original programming.

respectfully..........

Mark
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

HA ! I ordered it and I'm still NUTS! HAHAHA nuf said . plm
                              Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Mark, Oh, Oh!! I have been long convinced that you and I were the only one that are NOT nuts....now I am beginning to worry about you....
                                BTW, can I detect a certain "spring" ...call it agility in your typing tonight?....is it just your good nature, the merriment of the season or perhaps you have supped the egg nog at bit too frequently?

Ken R Knopp
                                Last edited by Ken Knopp; 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X