Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: Warhorse Movie - Mark & Ken?

The much anticipated "Warhorse" movie debuts on Christmas Day. I'm certain that many of us will see it and want to discuss various aspects of it. My question to Mark and Ken is: Is this the appropriate place to do that? In the past, we have fostered discussions or included comments that are beyond the use of cavalry in the American Civil War when it come to tactics, equipment, etc.

Just asking before it becomes an issue.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Re: Question: Warhorse Movie - Mark & Ken?

Thank you Mike!! Well, I have no problem with it "if" there is an opportunity for a cavalry learning experience here. Its obviously not our time period but if we can avoid getting into the military culture virtues of the movie, from an era that is clearly out of our discussion guidelines, then perhaps it would be useful. In addition, given the fact that there is rarely a time when we see a movie about "war horses" come to the public realm I think we can make an exception as both a "fun" thing and a chance to share something. One caveat.... as long as it is done in the Camp of Instruction folder. These would be my only suggestions. Mark, what do you think?

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

IMHO, your call lads.

Discussions of movies is NUG against AC policy, even when they are CW movies.

Not voicing an opinion or desire, just sharing.

Curt
      (Having been killed while in the saddle, I have a particular "sentimentality" and am fond of the new "Animals in War" memorial in England to war animals and dedicated to the 30 million horses lost in WWI.. as the memorial reads "'They had no choice."
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you Curt. You are 100% correct! Normally, I would say "NOPE", not applicable, however, in this case, as I noted above, "if" there is an opportunity for a cavalry learning experience here." and.... "if we can avoid getting into the military culture virtues of the movie, from an era that is clearly out of our discussion guidelines" then it would have value to us and be acceptable but perhaps, I should be a bit more percise in my qualifers that it be a "CW cavalry learning experience" and once again, be in the Camp of Instruction forum where discussions topics are more lenient. If Mark is in agreement, I don't see a violation of the rules.

Ken R Knopp
        Last edited by Ken Knopp; 12-23-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

All,

I agree with Ken in that if we can glean from the movie ways to improve or things that are pertinent to what we are trying to do with our CW Cav endeavors, then we can discuss it only on the Cav COI forum. If someone wants to discuss the more modern aspects then I suggest that they move those comments to the Equitatus group (which can be joined) and wail away.

Curt your points are, as usual, dead on and well received. We are fighting an up-hill battle with our slim numbers in the authentic mounted cavalry and if we can benefit and still stay true to our forum goals, then we owe it to the masses to do so.

As such, I am moving this thread to the COI forum. Any discussion of said production should be kept there and should pertain to how it relates to the War Between the States. If you wanna drool over the sexy co-star (whoever that is) then take it to Equitatus!

In the immortal words of Yul Brenner in 1956.........."So let it be written........so let it be done!"

regards,
          Mark
          Last edited by Mark Choate; 12-23-2011, 06:28 PM.
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

If you guys want to take it to Equitatus, That is fine. That is what the group was created for. It's a catch all for all things enjoyed and discussed by us equestrians. On or OFF topic. If anyone wants in send me a request.
            YOS.
            [I][SIZE=3]Jeff Gibson[/SIZE][/I]
            [SIZE=3][I]Consolidated Independent Rangers[/I][/SIZE]
            [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Thank you, Jeff.

Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Gentlemen,

I saw this movie today and have two words......don't bother.

As to our realm of interest there was very, very little worth noting (other than some pelham bits and a few UP saddles). Any further discussion of this needs to take place on Equitatus.

As such I am closing this thread.

regards,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Working...
                X