Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Saddle Input

Greetings fellow cavalrymen.

I have been out of the loop for a while now due to medical issues. For those who saw me at last year's COI, you could see that I was not well. I ended up in the hospital for two and a half months this past summer/fall. I am doing better now but am still receiving treatments. On a positive note, I did lose 40 pounds so I at least look a little more correct for my impression.

I will not be able to attend events this year even though I really would like to. I just got the OK to start light workouts again. That should be fun! I have started light riding to start getting me and my horse back into riding shape.

I have most of my kit set (except for my new Tim Bender hat that my puppy really enjoyed). In this off time I would like to concentrate on my tack. I would like to get a civilian saddle and bridle along the English/plantation style for my impression. I have my Mac for my Federal impression. This is where I really need help on the direction for a maker. Does anyone have suggestions? I can wait to save up for a quality set. Please let me know your thoughts on type and source.

All the best to you. Wish I could see you at Shiloh.
    Barry Smithson

Re: Looking For Saddle Input

I just finished [november] a texas saddle using a tree I got from Glenn Peir depot. LOVE IT! Think about that kind of saddle as it can fit most CSA impressions. Ken Knopp was very helpful with info during my research and the making of it. Infact, my Mac is in semi retirement. [poor thing ] plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Good to hear from you again Barry! Being from Texas I felt entitled to make a Texas saddle for myself. I'm not sure how prolific the English style would have been with Texas boys though I'm sure it was there. From what I've seen Casey Mott makes a mean Texas rig.
      John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
      "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Hi there, Barry,

It is good to hear from you again and I am sorry for the health trials that you have had but glad you're on the mend.

The suggestions by the fellas on the Texas saddles are great and heaven knows they were prolific in number, but along the lines of what you said with the wish to have more of an English style, I really wish we saw more civilian saddles along the lines of the Muley's, Sommersets or Kilgores. All come out of that niche you are referring to and were very common in the day and yet are as scarce as hen's teeth in the field. I know that Karl Pepper does some good work in this area and I would suggest giving him a call to discuss rather than just order from a website. Stuart Lilie may be a good source to speak to as well. Casey Mott may work in these styles of saddles, too. I just don't know that for a fact.

While you are at it, give attention to your headstall, bit, halter, etc. I see many giving attention to their saddle for a good civilian or pre-war impression only to notice that they are still using a Federal dragoon bit and headstall. Look for a prewar bridle or maybe a bridle-halter combination rig.

If you wish to contact any of these gentlemen and lack contact info, just let me know via p.m.

Hope that helps,
        Mark
        Last edited by Mark Choate; 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM.
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Stuart Lilie makes a 1850's Civilian saddle that cant be beat.
          William L. Shifflett
          Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

I will second William's comments on Stuart's civilian saddle. One of the guys in William's group has one and it is great. I am envious everytime I see. It is a great look for a CS trooper on a civilian saddle.
            Rob Bruno
            1st MD Cav
            http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I vouche for Mr. Lilie, he built my texas and the head gear to match. Excellent service and work.
              Chris Fisher
              Hospital Steward
              Tinct Opii Mess

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the ideas and sources. I forgot about Stuart Lilie. Back when I lived in New England for a few years I saw his saddles at some Rev War events and was impressed. I did not realize he made mid 19th century tack as well. I am going to take a hard look at the Muley's from Karl Pepper. I have only seen one at a reenactment. I am really look for a more generic rig instead of a Texas specific impression so that is why I was leaning more towards the types I described.

I will definitely get matching headstall and halter. My concern is the bit. My horse has only used his Federal bit for the past 21 years. He was trained for cavalry and has only had a Mac and Fed headstall and bit the whole time. At 26 years old, it might take him a little while to get used to the new stuff.

All the best.
                Barry Smithson

Comment

I would second Stuart's 1850's civilian saddle. if I could afford it I would buy one in a heartbeat
                  Okay, third...

Comment

That is the one I was really looking into. It looks beautiful. I would just have to have straps added to carry a bedroll or valise. Also like the hooded stirrups. I think I will need to put some of my yearly bonus away towards it's purchase. Wish some one locally had one for me to see in person. Any Texans out there have one I could take a look at?
                    Barry Smithson

Comment

Barry,

Try a nice Pelham bit for your civilian impression. You should be able to match up the port to what you are using now if you look around a bit and there are some nice ones out there that are not too expensive. I have never had any problem with the transition with any of my horses over the years, as long as I match up the port and bit width.

You might check out Ken's site. He has just loaded some beautiful civilian and prewar bits in the "for sale" area.

regards,
                      Mark
                      J. Mark Choate
                      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thanks Mark. I will check that out.
                        Barry Smithson

Comment

if your horse is 26 you need to be looking for another horse to go with your new saddle. ronnie tucker
                          Ronnie Tucker,
                          Chief of Scouts
                          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Comment

Unfortunately I am. My big bad old man is nearing the end of his riding time. He still loves to get out and go and really loves to still go to the reenactments. I will continue to use him lightly until he no longer is up to it. I have started to just wrap my mind around the idea of looking for his replacement. It is tough since he has been such a great cav horse for such a long time for me.

All the best,
                            Barry Smithson

Comment

All you have to do about the bit is find one with the same width port and shank length. That'll ensure the reaction time and feel of the bit is the same.
                              John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                              "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Working...
                              X