New Armisport Richmond Carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Armisport Richmond Carbine

This seems to be new. Just a quick google search turned up that as of Nov. 2011 it hadn't even been approved for NSSA use. It's good the Italians are coming up with something new once in awhile and while I'm sure it needs defarbing, a few of these in Eastern C.S. cav units would be nice to see.

Will MacDonald

Re: New Armisport Richmond Carbine

Hallo!

I have been surprised for years that the Italian Richmond RM had not been "redone" as Richmond Carbine as it would have taken very little "work."

Once Upon a time, I "made" one for me in the N-SSA from a chopped down original M1855 RM by adding a Cross lock, a Jencso barrel, and repro brass buttplate and nose cap.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Glad to see this come out as well. I have a John Zimmerman made one and it is great. A guy in my unit made two from used Richmond Muskets. For a long time, I think we were the only people that had one of these much less three in unit. I am sure there are others like Curt's, but nice to see more. One of the more under represented items in CS cav.
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Okay I will bite, a question for the more learned. I understand the lock is from the 1855 that was not machined for the primer system. How prevalent would a lock with the primer system coming out in this be? I have often wondered what happened to all the locks that had been machined, after the fall of Harpers Ferry to Jackson.
        Last edited by Chris Fisher; 01-22-2012, 08:47 AM.
        Chris Fisher
        Hospital Steward
        Tinct Opii Mess

Comment

Hallo!

Well, if any lads come across one that kinda/sorta looks original, on the buttstock someone (sometime) had scratched a small Firest Sergeant's chevron.

"How prevalent would a lock with the primer system coming out in this be? I have often wondered what happened to all the locks that had been machined, after the fall of Harpers Ferry to Jackson."

On "Richmond Carbines?" (aka known to the C.S> Armory as "Rifle Carbine.")

At the risk of using a Universal... never.

Harpers Ferry Arsenal and armory was captured from the Federals in April of 1861. Out of what Lieutenant Roger Jones could lt burn or destroy, the Confederates were able to salvage complete arms, arma in some stages of manufacture, parts, and machinery. Virginia Govderor Letcher ordered the removal of first the rifle machinery and then the musket machinery, splitting them between Fayetteville and Richmond. While things were made ready at the old Virginia State Armory in Richmond, under the supervision of Colonel Thomas Jackson, Virginia assembled or made rifle-muskets for about two months before things were packed up and sent to Richmond in August of 1861 (to be made for the C.S.).

Long story short...

Richmond Armory began producing the .58 Carbine in November of 1862 making 200, 200 in December, and 55 in January 1863, 313 in February, 200 for March, 300 for April, and so on. Already by then, all of the Harpers Ferry M1855 complete locks and partially finished milled lockplates had been used up. The early high hump lockplates of the unmilled M1855 profile ended soon after Wentzel spent two days reworking the lock plate machines to create the "low hump" in March of 1862.

Anyways, by the time they started making Richmond Carbines in November 1862, they were using low hump plates since March or April of

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you Mr. Schmidt, as usual I figured you of all would have an answer and provide the correct education in this matter.
            Chris Fisher
            Hospital Steward
            Tinct Opii Mess

Comment

FYI,
              The CS Armory Richmond records show under, "Arms Assembled" 100 carbines (69caliber Musketoons) in September 1862. Surviving examples show the weapon to have a 24" barrel, 39 1/2" overall lenght. In the months to follow this weapon was not assembled in any consistant amounts.

Its also interesting to see examples of the Richmond rifle carbine having what is clearly a cut down M1855 stock that included the patch box.

Cheers!
              George Taggart
              George Taggart

Comment

Working...
              X