cloth saddle skirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cloth saddle skirts

Okay, speaking from the perspective of a trooper who owns one of these here is my experience....Mine was brand new in the peak of summer! After two demonstrations and a morning drill the friction from moving caused a bit of chafing and the not so perfect tree did not help in the sore ass department! Greg by making one you will sacrifice a bit of comfort for the sake of authenticity.....But it will pay off to be one of the few guys in the country to own such a creature!
    Last edited by Forrestcavalryman; 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM.
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I had never considered the friction before. I have ridden rough out western saddles years ago and liked the purchase your cheeks got on the split leather seat, but thats different than sliding across canvas. I see that now. I do believe that friction lies at the bottom of this issue...Pun intended.
      Thanks guys,
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

After a few good rides it smoothes out and does not rub so much. You may consider riding it a few times around the house in blue jeans...I found that to be easier on the backside than wool trousers when breaking in the saddle.
        Andrew Verdon

Comment

Andrew, sorry for this off topic comment but I think everyone is thinking it.

Could you share pictures of you riding your saddle around your house? At what point do you actually put the saddle on a horse and start riding outside? I am still trying to get past you riding your saddle around your house...

Wink, wink

back to intellectual conversations!
          Kaelin R. Vernon
          SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Kaelin, Ideally start at the front, but not opposed, to the back, although the side is not a bad choice either, but then again one could logically start at any point to end up forming the so called circular drift around the home, the best option is to place said saddle on a oxygen tank and bust the end off, I would advise strapping the saddle down first and then holding on for dear life! (okay, I had to slip in one smart ass coment!).
            Andrew Verdon

Comment

I am moving this thread to the Cavalry Camp of Instruction forum where it can either get back on track or die a slow and deserving death........

Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

The configuration of cloth saddles continues to interest me. I'm sure that many of you have wondered if there were simpler cloth saddles than those fully covered versions. I have no idea. I did however speak with a gentleman who had examined a saddle said to be a Selma arsenal McClellan that was displayed in the Alabama national guard museum. Here's what he stated. While no skirts remained, there were two rows of what he called upholstery nails where the skirts would have been. In removing a couple in an attempt at restoration, they found remnants of painted cloth under each nail head. They immediately stopped removing them. The tree was fully rawhided, had several mismatched slot plates, and the corner rings were attached by leather wrapped around them, passed through holes in the bars, then nailed under the bars. While that could all daye to post war, the painted cloth under the tacks is very interesting.
                Gre Tucker
                Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
                X