I glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I glasses

I went to a military show yesterday and bought a pair of original eye glasses. I have been wearing post war type with the curved ear pieces so I would not lose them a horse back. Now I have the correct style frame My question is....What tips do you have to insure they will stay on? plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: I glasses

If they have an eyelet on the end you can run a string through them.
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

What material are they made of? How long are the temples?
      If coin silver/ German silver and they are strong enough the temples just need to be atjusted and fixed and this will do it. If brass , gold or thn temples it might bekome tricky.
      Jan H.Berger
      Hornist

German Mess
      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

The temples are long and stout, and amde of coin silver. I have carfully made some adjustments, but am just leery of the straight temples. It is reasuring to hear that the silver ones like I bought are stronger, I almost went with brass. thanks plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

The preasure of the temples should hold the glases on your nose.
          Jan H.Berger
          Hornist

German Mess
          http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Paul - I went through about 3 pair of originals (with custom lenses to fit my vision) before I gave up and quit wearing them in the field. One pair was ripped off my face by a tree branch, and lost forever. I lost the other two in similar fashion.

Fortunately, my eyesight is not so impaired that I can't see without them. I only need glasses for reading or doing paperwork in camp, so it worked for me.

Unless you have greatly impaired vision, I'd suggest that you try a day in the field without them.
            Mike Ventura
            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Mike,

I envy you there. I left my period specs at hoome accidentally last weekend and had a nasty headache by the end. My problem is I can read without mine but can't see worth a darn off at a distance.
              Robert Collett
              8th FL / 13th IN
              Armory Guards
              WIG

Comment

Thanks Mike, I to only need these glasses to see, after it's dark I don't need them anymore. plm

Paul L Muller

Comment

just hammer yourself out a pair. call me please. 731 336 5185 ronnie tucker
                  Ronnie Tucker,
                  Chief of Scouts
                  7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Comment

Here's my two cents. I bought a pair of circa 1850's sliding temple specs, which have loops at the end of the temples. The owner of Eyeglass Warehouse in Waterville, Maine is a fountain of information regarding the subject of riding with specs. He told me that original specs for riding had strings through the loops leading through to a horn or wooden block at the back of the head for tightening. I haven't tried this yet, as I am blind without my glasses, but makes sense, and will give you an update as to how well this works as the season progresses!
                    Jim Napier

[I]"Put the Vermonters ahead"[/I]

1st Vermont Cavalry, Company K
                    6th Ohio Cavalry, Company B
                    5th Massachusetts Artillery, Battery E

Comment

Jim,
                      If you do try that, please post some photos. I've never heard of that and I'm especially curious about the block behind the head. Seems like that would get pretty uncomfortable and wouldn't necessarily stay where it was supposed to that well.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

When you say "block" on the string, are you talking about something like one of those modern sunglasses string thingies that have like a small wood bead that you pull the string through at the back of the head to tighten them? If so I could see where something like that would work. I too wear eyeglasses but I see distance fine so I generally do not wear them while riding either in the period or in the modern world. I have a pair of original silver frames with straight temple pieces that as Jan suggested I simply very carefully bent until they fit tight enough. I can tell you that mine stay on just fine now when I am chopping wood and so on so I have to believe they would stay on while riding too.
                        Patrick McAllister
                        Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Working...
                        X