Rolling Pistol cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Pistol cartridges

The below information I have obtained over several years (through several sources). Portions of this article was based on article written by Michael A. Saur. The article appeared in the May 1996 Camp Chase Gazette. I am sure you folks may have a better way of doing this so feel free to chime in. I have attached a template of what I have used in past to construct the pistol box. Mileage may vary.

ROLLING AND PACKING REVOLVER CARTRIDGES

1) Purchase of package of Nitrated papers or women’s hair roller paper. If you can’t find the nitrated papers, visit your local convenience store and purchase some gummed cigarette papers (extra wide). These are fairly inexpensive and easy to work with. You only have to worry about those funny stares from the clerk behind the counter. Women’s hair roller papers are also inexpensive.
    2) Find a dowel rod (form) of a size as close to the caliber of your revolver. Some folks use a wooden dowel rod, some folks use a brass/copper hollow tube. You can find these at your local hardware store. The hollow tube will come in handy later.
    3) I have provided a template for a .44 cal weapon that is appropriately marked. Take the paper and smear the glue as indicated. I prefer to use the glue that comes in a glue stick. This is a little less messy then the regular white glue. When all is done you should have a hollow tube.
    4) Wrap the paper around your form, leaving about a half of inch of paper in the end. Roll the paper against a flat surface to adhere, as rubbing can be harsh on paper is thin.
    5) Put a thin smear of glue on one side of the half-inch of paper that is past the edge of the form. Fold and stick this to the bottom of the form. You should have a perfectly cylindrical bottom, with nothing hanging off.

6) Now, depending on what type of form is how this step is performed. If you are using the hollow form, you can go ahead and pour in the black powder. Using the enclosed diagram, you can use up to 25 gr BP. The remainder of the tube should be filled with cream of wheat. If you are using the dowel rod, remove your newly formed tube from the dowel, and fill it with the appropriate amount of powder, from flask or measure. I have also found that Cocoa Puffs or Cocoa Roos (the Malt of Meal knock offs) are the same diameter as a 44 cal ball and will help fill the mouth of the cylinder to prevent chain fires. If you use this method, you can dispense with using Cream of Wheat.
    7) Hold the cartridge vertically, and carefully cut the excess paper a little more than half an inch above the powder level. Cover one side of the excess with a light smear of glue, and fold it over against the body of the cartridge.

You should have a complete cartridge ready for action. You can either tear the cartridge or place the whole thing in the cylinder (cream of wheat end up). Now that you completed the cartridge, now you can tackle the container to carry the cartridges. Most cartridges were packaged in a rigid paste-board box. I have provided a pattern for you to use. I have found that white poster board from the local store will suffice. When complete the box should be ˝”X 2 7/8”X 11/2”.
    Once the pattern has been cut, and the areas which fold have been scored, (keep in mind that once the pattern is cut, it will remain in one piece,) fold the flaps in place, and apply masking tape or glue around where the side flaps meet. Be careful to leave the top flap open so that you will be able to place your cartridges inside. The top flap will serve as a lid,and only when you place the final wrapper over the package will anything fasten it down.
    By now, you should have a rectangular box with an open lid. If you have scored you cardboard properly, there should be a groove facing outside where the lid “hinges” with the box. Fill this groove with glue, and then take a piece of cotton string about eight inches long, and put the very end of the groove. From here, run the string into the groove so that it is a firmly anchored. At this point, a good amount of excess string should be hanging off the back-left corner. Open the lid, and bring the string around along the inside crease of the box, keeping it taught, and have it come out of the box at the same corner, but on a different side of the lid, then where the string began. You should still have some string hanging from the right side. This must be saved so that you may open the package by tearing the string. Once this is accomplished, insert 6 cartridges.
    The next, and last steps, are wrapping a labeling. Cut a long strip of parchment colored paper, about four inches in width. Apply a thin coating of glue to the bottom of the box. Place the box, right side up, the wide way, on the far edge of the paper. Make sure you should have about half an inch of paper left on each side. Apply glue to the front edge of the box, and to the top of the lid as well. Keeping the paper taught, wrap it up and back over the box, making sure that the string is free from paper. Apply more glue on the bottom over the first layer of paper. Wrap the paper around so that it is on the bottom, and the excess is facing you.
    Cut the excess paper against the long side of the box. Fold the sides of the wrapper like you would when wrapping a gift. Before folding the right side, cut a slit in the corner nearest to where the string emerges from inside of the box. Pull the string through the slit, and keep it free as you fold the wrapper. Later, cut the remaining string to your desired length. All that is left to do now is to paste the label on top. I have provided a copy of an original label for your use.

I hope this helps.

Bill
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Pistol cartridge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	229962
    Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Re: Rolling Pistol cartridges

Thanks Bill! I've been trying to master this for a while! I use the curler papers with cream of wheat filler for the cartridge, and my problem has been chain fire. That being said, I have not tried cocco puffs.
    Jim Napier

[I]"Put the Vermonters ahead"[/I]

1st Vermont Cavalry, Company K
    6th Ohio Cavalry, Company B
    5th Massachusetts Artillery, Battery E

Comment

You may have to adjust the box template a bit to make sure everything fits together properly.
      Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Another quick tip. When piecing/gluing the box together, it would be a good idea to use clothes pins for the corners till the glue dries. This way it will prevent the inside edges from moving.
        Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Hallo!

Some lads taper down the wooden or nylon dowels to make a more tapered cartridge more akin to originals and easier to load into the chanbers.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Can anyone post a picture of the finished product? Im having trouble visualizing it.
            Thanks!

Will Watson

Comment

I don't recall the source on these photos; it may have been an auction site. Hope this helps.
              They are not the split kind like the above post shows.

A good article here shows that different manufacture ammo came in different shape/style boxes.

And if you are looking for cartridge photos, check out this link. It has a large variety of rifle and revolver ammo shown. http://www.madinpursuit.com/collecti...Collection.pdf

Yours,
              the other nathan
              Attached Files
              [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
              1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Working...
              X