carpet ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carpet ride

Yesterday I was given two very nice old woven carpets 24 x48. I think I would like to use one as a saddle pad as I have read of this being done. Has anyone done this or do it now ? and are there any tips or concerns? I currently use a civilian wool blanket with my sleeping blanket on top, Is there any advantage top loosing a good blanket to substitute the carpet [other than being unique and different]. I assume that the carpet's top would go down to the horses back ...or not? plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: carpet ride

Not commenting on the authenticity part, but most carpets are tightly woven and are thus not "breathable," and hold heat and sweat on the horse's back.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Comment

I don't know Mike, seems that one or two blankets, or a felt pad would be more or less "breathable, but I had'nt thought of that. plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Paul, give it a try, you may be on to someting that is is cool to use. At the very least you will have a short sleeping mat.

Chris Stewart
        7th TN Cav, Co D

Comment

Just as long as the carpets aren't lumpy and the breathable part is important. Also your layers of blankets absorb a lot of movement between the horse and saddle so as not to rough up the hair on your horse's back.
          John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
          "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Working...
          X