Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian Saddle Blanket

Guys,
    I have searched the fourm but have no luck. I am trying to find a good source for a civilian wool saddle blanket. I want to try to steer clear of some of the "wool blends" that are being offered in todays market. Any help would be appreciated.
    Bill Jordan

“I ended the war a horse ahead.”
    Nathan Bedford Forrest

Re: Civilian Saddle Blanket

Have you looked into Family Heirloom Weavers? I have heard that they put up good items. Good luck on your search.
    Philip D. Brening
    Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
    3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Checked them, but they did not have any wool blankets available.
      Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Good luck on finding a good civi blanket, I don't think anyone is reproducing any kind of civilian or confederate blanket right now,a good one atleast. If I had to start again I would look for some good heavy weight wool fabric,period correct of course, and go from there.

I bought some nice blanket weight material from a sutler at Olustee one year and almost made a blanket out of it but had it put into my overcoat instead. You may end up making a two panel blanket but that not too hard either.

Tommy Jackson
        Critter co.

Comment

Bill,

Have you checked with Chris Utley of "South Union Mills"? He has turned out some very nice civilian blankets (one of which I own) and they are superb in their adherence to accuracy. They do not have a tight, thick weave as we have been accustomed to use for horse blankets, but that is more accurate to the period as well.

Also, few people are more knowledgeable with regards to period blanket weaves and make-up than Matt Woodburn. He is a veritable encyclopedia on the subject. Also, he has done some cavalry work with us and understands the demands of a saddle blanket.

I would respectfully suggest that you open a dialog with Chris and/or Matt as to your needs and see what you find. I can promise you that it will be educational.

regards.
          Mark
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Bill, The replies here are all good. I might also suggest you think outside the box a bit. Civilian clothing and personal items (i.e. blankets) were not as colorless and limited as we sometimes assume. The photograph I attach is of some items from the Confederate Memorial Hall in New Orleans. Of note is the saddle blanket i.d.'d to a member of the 7th Tennessee Cavalry. You will see it is pretty loud in its color. I cannot remember what material it was made of but I do recall it reminded me of my Aunt Louise's 1960's vintage knit throw rug on her couch. The point here is not to limit yourself to static colors and materials. Blends of cotton/wool etc. and even carpet blankets as noted in another thread were common. In addition to the above sources, you might want to cruise ebay and most certainly, keep an eye on the civilian forums here and elsewhere for some nice blanket items coming up for sale as they often do.

Ken R Knopp
            Attached Files

Comment

Oh, Bill, one other source I forgot to add......

Make sure that you contact Ken Knopp's Aunt Louise, while you are at it. She may have something available for you, (smirk, wink....sorry, I had to do it.) :sarcastic

Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Ken's Aunt Louise, CHECK.

Appreciate the help. I would have really like to purchase one of those Spanish Moss pads/blankets, but missed the boat on that one.

I have also been looking at coverlets to fill the need. Been referencing Ken's book and it seems that saddle blankets/pads were in short supply save for the Spanish Moss types.

Stand back I am on a quest.

Originally posted by Choatecav View Post
                Oh, Bill, one other source I forgot to add......

Make sure that you contact Ken Knopp's Aunt Louise, while you are at it. She may have something available for you, (smirk, wink....sorry, I had to do it.) :sarcastic

Mark
                Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Bill, Mark,

You boys are gonna need to do a seance or see one of these south Louisiana spirtualists to contact my aunt Louise. She has been dead for four years. However, if you do reach her ask her to have Nathan Bedford Forrest, Josiah Gorgas and Elvis contact me....I have some questions.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

That blanket in the picture looks like a wool Navajo blanket to me. if you could find those Navajo blankets in a solid color or more correct pattern than the typical Navajo pattern they might make good saddle blankets.
                    John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
                    "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

Ken, any idea what kind of saddle that is? It looks kind of like a kilgore to me.
                      Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

That saddle most certainly has features of the Kilgore....i.e. the shortened bars, shape of the pommel is "un-McClellan-like" too. The stirrup strap hanger appears post war to me though I cannot tell much from the photo. This photo is all I know of the saddle. I have not been there in years but at the time saddle blanket was on display but not the saddle. Nor could I get any access.
                        While writing my books I could never get any cooperation from that museum. Over the course of several years in the mid 1990's I repeatedly tried in vain to get access to their collection, purchase photographs etc. One reason is that the folks there are horrifically underfunded and understaffed but they also displayed, to me at least, a very strong resistance to any sharing of information or cooperation in book projects, research, etc. At the time they told me they had no photographs of many of their artifacts nor did they appear to want any. I offered to pay in full for a professional to come to shoot photos and then I even offered to take them myself with the museum maintaining complete control of the film, rights, etc. No deal. They did not want to be troubled.
                        As I said, this post card was the only way I knew they had the saddle. After discovering this the museum was in no way interested in offering any provenance or information about it. Saying only it was part of their unimpeachable collection. At the time, I realized they had funding and legal issues (they still do) so I simply dropped my efforts.
                        That museum is a wonderful place with untold artifacts and the folks are quite nice but sadly, difficult to work with. Perhaps things are different now. I hope so.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Been trying to contact Chris at South Union and the number listed does not work and his website is currently in work.

The quest continues.
                          Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Bill,
                            P.M. sent regarding this.

Mark
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Got it and e-mail sent to Chris.
                              Bill Jordan

Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Working...
                              X