Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common were braids on Union uniforms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common were braids on Union uniforms?

Hello Gents,
    I've come across a number of photographs of Federal officers with sleeve trefoils and kepi braids and wondered just how common were they in the Union ranks? Was it accepted as a normal decoration "upgrade", or was it considered an affectation? It seems to me that in situations of poor visibility, it could cause soldiers to mistake the uniform as confederate, particularly with the contrasting yellow-gold braid of cavalry. Does anyone know of this happening? Would it had been more common in a particular theater or year?

Thanks,

G
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: How common were braids on Union uniforms?

I know later in the war there was orders issued to allow an officer to dress more like the enlisted, so as not to stand out as a target. I would imagine at the start, many officers would peacock their appearance to show off their rank. Do you think sleeve and cap braids were a part of this? Still wondering.

G

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

Hallo!

A broad area...

In brief and to over generalize...

It was non-regulation. There are several factors at work. One, since officers purchased their own uniforms it could be a matter of personal taste and likes and dislikes based on what a man envisioned and what he was willing to pay for it. Second, it might depend upon how strict a commanding officer was or wasn't in what he would "allow" or even allow beyond the regulation dress. Third, it might depend upon the unit and peer pressure of certain choices from one's unit- I am reminded of a recent image of IIRC Federal artillery officers where the were regulation and all of the men wearing "kepi's."

And IMHO, it can also be a more senior officer deal too. Meaning, a general like George Custer might have designed or at least chosen his own particular something, another general may have worn a private purchase five button version of a common fatique blouse. While a 2nd Lt may have been stuck within the latitude of his colonel and the amount of a LT's payday.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you, Curt. It's too bad the period photos of Union captains and lieutenants that had them aren't identified. It would help narrow down the "where and when" unknowns.

Comment

Stick to photos you know were taken in the field. Best bet. You'd dress your best for a studio pic, so did they!
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
          Past President Potomac Legion
          Long time member Columbia Rifles
          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

What Dave said...
            Mike Ventura
            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Gary,
              There are plenty of ID'd photos out there in terms of time frames. You can certainly find exceptions to just about any rule, but generally, company officers wore fairly plain uniforms, saving much of the fuss and feathers for the higher ranks. Your best bet, unless you are trying to portray a specific individual for whom you have details of his uniform is to keep things pretty plain in ornamentation, but focus instead on high quality fabrics and tailoring.

Take care,
              Tom Craig
              1st Maine Cavalry
              Tom Craig

Comment

Working...
              X