Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Composite Western Confederate Cavalry Guidelines.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Composite Western Confederate Cavalry Guidelines.....

Mark's right. According the ordnance manuals, the typical enlisted bridle (north and south) had the reins sewn on. That would have held true whether its materials were leather or cloth. As for officer's bridles, one must remember that their equipment was privately purchased. So while there was wide discretion there were also popular styles and patterns. In general, one can assume reins were buckles on what would normally be fancier officer's bridles.

Hope this helps,

Ken R Knopp

Comment

With the large amount of civilian gear being used wouldn't many of the reins been either/or? Now granted I'm not really up on my CS gear as I should be. But I'm working on that thanks to Ken... ;) TEH
      [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
      [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Zack, Your right, civilian bridles are another matter. From my take, on the whole they would make up a comparitively smaller % of the overall number of bridles in the field. And that would depend entirely upon time the period of the war, unit, geography, etc., etc. The wide variety of civilian bridle patterns also leaves the door open to other questions of impression.....the person's station in life before/during the war, wealth, geography (again) and/or multiple "circumstances", in general.

Having said that, I do not believe one c(sh)ould make a blanket statement about civilian bridles regarding the matter of "to sew or not to sew". So, in the end it would be a matter of personal choice.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

I am no expert, but could'nt the reins also be laced on ? The question of buckles is eliminated and the reins are still removable.It also fits the bill as a feild repair,as well as home made or "pressed into service" gear. Just thinking outloud with my fingers. plm
          Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Hello everyone,
            I just received my new confederate headstall from a well known and respected maker(not to mention a really nice guy!). I ride one of his saddles. He went with brass buckles on a three buckle bridle. Horseshoe shaped. Is this O.K.??? I had more or less expected iron hardware for a troopers model. Please advise!
            Greg Tucker
            Greg Tucker

Comment

My understanding is brass horseshoe buckles are more appropriate for civilian bridles but I am not expert by any means!
              Last edited by ; 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L Muller View Post
                I am no expert, but could'nt the reins also be laced on ? The question of buckles is eliminated and the reins are still removable.It also fits the bill as a feild repair,as well as home made or "pressed into service" gear. Just thinking outloud with my fingers. plm
                Paul --

To me, that's a variation of "If they had it...they would have used it." Look for examples. I don't recall seeing any period reins "laced" on in today's common western fashion, but Ken K would be the guy to ask.
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Mike,
                  Ken addresses this very matter about 6 posts earling in this thread by stating:

"According the ordnance manuals, the typical enlisted bridle (north and south) had the reins sewn on. That would have held true whether its materials were leather or cloth.
                  As for officer's bridles, one must remember that their equipment was privately purchased. So while there was wide discretion there were also popular styles and patterns. In general, one can assume reins were buckles on what would normally be fancier officer's bridles." Ken Knopp.

thx,
                  Mark
                  J. Mark Choate
                  7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hey Mark --

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Hadn't backed up through the other comments and was basically responding to Paul's question.

Best,
                    Mike Ventura
                    Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Working...
                    X