Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14th Illinois Cavalry

All,

I am trying to pull together a very specific impression for the above mentioned unit for the period around July 1864. I am hoping that some of you guys can guide me toward information on the 14th. If you know of any pictures of members of this unit that would be especially helpful. The histories I have found on the 14th seem to indicate that they were very active in the campaigns through Georgia, so I am hoping that some of you are already familiar with them. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Best regards,
    Craig Wolfe

Re: 14th Illinois Cavalry

Craig,

I don't know a lot about the 14th Illinois cav except for the work in Georgia and then they did play a role in Battle of Nashville in Dec '64. I found a bit of description and a couple of photos which may or may not be of help.

Mark

"June 13, it started to join General Stoneman's command organized for the Atlanta campaign, reaching the latter on the 19th. July 27, it left Lost Mountain on the famous Macon raid, reaching the city on the 30th, destroying a large amount of public property and capturing many prisoners. At Sunshine Church, after a hot battle with the enemy, General Stoneman decided to surrender his command, Colonel Capron, with the Fourteenth, first receiving permission to cut his way out. This he did, taking his command with him, with success. August 3, at 1 o'clock in the morning, Colonel Capron supposing he was beyond the reach of the enemy, ordered a halt. But he was betrayed by a treacherous guide and the men were attacked about daylight. Being without sleep for seven days and nights they could not be aroused. In this condition many were killed or captured. Those who escaped were hunted by rebel soldiers, guerrillas, citizens and bloodhounds. They came in singly and in squads for weeks. One party traveled over 400 miles before reaching our lines. On this raid the First Battalion was detached, leaving the command, July 29, to make a flank and front movement. In 60 hours, night and day, it marched 160 miles, destroying 4 depots, 500 passenger and freight cars, 40 engines, many miles of railroad track, public buildings, heavy military stores, many bridges, including the great Oconee bridge. Several times it marched near large bodies of the enemy, at one time passing between the rebel picket and Milledgeville, not over half a mile from the city, in which was a large rebel force. It rejoined the Regiment August 1, in time to share in the great disaster of the 3d. After this raid the scattered fragments joined the line of battle in front of Atlanta, having the honor to enter the city with our advance forces."

Click image for larger version

Name:	off in 14 Ill Cav.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	223570

Click image for larger version

Name:	14th Ill Cav.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	223571
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thanks for that Mark, any idea where I can find ordinance records for the 14th. I am interested in the jacket that the trooper is wearing, can anyone identify it?

Crsig Wolfe

Comment

Not sure if Will McDonald is out there and reading this, but he may have something on that subject.

Will????

thx,
        Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Pick up a copy of David Evans' "Sherman's Horsemen" - LOTS of info on the 14th Illinois Cav:

Mike Ventura
          Shannon's Scouts

Comment

This is the Illinois Gen Web site link . It has rosters and Regimental history and other info .
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

lol....I thought I heard someone call my name.

Just a brief look through shows returns for Burnside Carbine ammunition, nothing on revolvers that I can see yet.

Will MacDonald

Comment

For what it is worth....

Quarterly Ordnance Stores (Reports) 14th Illinois Cavalry

1st Qtr. 1864

Burnside Carbines_____.54____236
                Colt Revolvers________.44____310
                Colt Revolvers________.36_____50
                Dragoon Sabers _______23
                Light Cavalry Sabers____237

Sharps start showing up in the 2nd Qtr. (only 22 of them) as compared to Burnsides jumping up to 515... Then in the 3rd Qtr., it's kind of cool that close to 200U.S. Rifled Muskets m/1855-1863 show up and sabers drop to a combined 36! I looked into to this thinking that they were being used as mounted infantry. Turns out they lost "a large portion of their arms and horses... on a raid under Major-General Stoneman."*

Enjoy, TEH

* Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. Series I, Volume 38, Part V, Page 628. Washington, D.C., 1880-1901
                [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Thanks Zack, that is exactly what I was looking for. Were can I find a copy of the Quarterly Ordnance Stores (Reports) that you reference in your post?

Thank you Mike for the recommendation on the book as well. I'll add a copy to my collection.

Best regards,
                  Craig Wolfe

Comment

Craig,

I can provide you with some information on the 14th Il Cavalry. My gg grandfather was Sgt. Ethan Allen, Co. A 14th Il Cavalry. I have about 10 original letters he wrote home to his father while he was in the war, a few photos of him, his promotion papers, and his discharge papers signed by Captain Albert Capron. I also have a drawing of the encampment just before they mustered out in Pulaski, TN. Over the past couple of years I have done extensive research on this regiment and I am always looking for more.

If you are interested please send me a private message and I will glady share any information I have to assit you.

Ms. Christina
                    [SIZE=2][FONT=Century Gothic]Christina M. Ramos[/FONT][/SIZE]
                    Working Woman's Guild & Sons
                    NCWA

[I]In support of the soldier.[/I]

Comment

Working...
                    X