cloth halter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cloth halter

No previous thread seemed appropriate. If I am wrong, I apologize. I'm in the process of sewing a cloth single ring halter(V-style if that makes sence). I need to know where the canvas stopped and the leather began for the poll strap. Was the buckle retained by cloth or with leather? Did the two straps encircling the poll and nose join by sewing under the chin, or were they joined purely by the iron ring? Were there any unpainted models...I'm not too crazy about putting a chemical soaked cloth halter on a sweaty horses head. I wouldn't work out in a t-shirt painted with that stuff!
    Please advise,
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: cloth halter

Hello Greg!
    Is this a CS military halter? Are you trying to be “Period, Everyday, Common” (PEC) Confederate or, do you have a specific military or civilian impression in mind? Let me say that to the best of my knowledge (and memory) I do not believe the Southern Confederacy ever sanctioned an “official” halter made from cloth (in any pattern). On the other hand, to be sure there is no doubt leather halters (black and russet) and even rope were made or purchased by Confederate authorities. Cloth CS halters? Although it remains entirely possible, perhaps even plausible that some were made at depots, perhaps an arsenal or elsewhere, it still is not likely. In any event, at best, they would be very limited in number.
    Pre war civilian (not military) stable halters would also have been made most often of leather or sometimes webbing or rope but, not likely canvas or cloth to any large or common usage (and also depending upon impression). Why? First, cloth made equipments (like that of Spanish Moss or other indigenous materials) were considered “low-rent” by period contemporaries. Second, while the halter was most certainly a necessary military item for a trooper to tie his horse to the picket line, lead him, etc. but in most common civilian uses in the stable on the farm or plantation, there would be few opportunities for the need to tie off a horse. Of course, varying patterns of halters or (quite often) neck ropes, were often employed and would be useful and common in the stable, in cross country travel (led behind the wagon) and sometimes used in “short distance” travel to town (notwithstanding the overdone Hollywood version of the town hitching posts). I am not suggesting that it is wrong to undertake such an item, rather its just peculiar. So, I wanted to make a few points clear regarding the commonality of such an item so it can be applied in its proper context.
    OK, having said that, regarding the use of leather associated with hardware placement you do bring up an important question. From my reading of CS ordnance records and post war texts produced by important ordnance officers, it seems a “rule of thumb” was that on cloth equipments all portions coming in contact with hardware should be made of leather. That would encompass all straps and billets. It appears this was a strength issue as well as one that concerned excessive wear at the point of contact with metal. Simply put, leather just works better than cloth.
    Regarding your other questions, the answers really seem to come down to which pattern you are employing. Are you building a “Single Ring Halter”, a “Double Ring Halter” or some other pattern of civilian stable halter? In fact, the Single Ring was also a common civilian pattern as was the “Cavesson Halter”. While the Double Ring Halter was more military, it too has civilian facsimiles. In any case, it would always be most appropriate to stick to the prescribed period patterns and use period materials to a reasonable and tasteful degree. Again, what is your impression goal here? If I can be of more detailed help contact me direct. krk1865@bellsouth.net

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Re: cloth halter

Thank you so much for your help Ken!
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
      X