9th Virginia Cavalry Headgear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9th Virginia Cavalry Headgear

What is the appropriate headgear issued to a private in the 9th Virginia Cavalry? Some places say a hardee some say a forage cap some say a kepi and others a Slouch or otherwise agricultural and what color(s)? Federal cavalry is much less confusing.

-John Coldiron

Re: 9th Virginia Cavalry Headgear

Originally posted by ZsDad View Post
    What is the appropriate headgear issued to a private in the 9th Virginia Cavalry? Some places say a hardee some say a forage cap some say a kepi and others a Slouch or otherwise agricultural and what color(s)? Federal cavalry is much less confusing.

-John Coldiron
    Ahh yes, John, but therein lies the real fun!!

For many of us, the LACK of uniformity of many of the CS soldiers (especially in the Cavalry), is one of the greatest challenges and sources of enjoyment. You will probably find that "all of the above" is the right answer. Your best bet would be to research members of the original unit and find where they came from and learn more about how many of them were attired and accoutred.

A good CS cavalry impression will also require you to do an in-depth study of the civilian trends and materials that were prevalent in the day. You can be assured that you will eventually need a well-made slouch hat for this impression or one soon to follow. That would probably be a solid and safe direction for you to move in at the time as it will cover so much ground.

The tendency of many of the Federal impressions to be more uniform in nature does make it a bit easier to put together, but your studies into the various CS units and the civilian sources of the day will prove to be highly rewarding and will give you a greater basis of understanding of the period. This variety of choices continues as you get into the selection of saddles, tack, weapons, etc. and the fun just keeps growing! (Of course, it can get pricey, too.)

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I am a member of the 9th virginia cav in Illinois, pm me . plm
      Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

in the book "Echoes Of Glory" Confederate , there is a photograph of a member of the 9th Virginia cavalry in uniform. The picture is on pg. 53. Hope that helps.
        Philip D. Brening
        Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
        3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Working...
        X