Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ummmm......Maybe a chapter in Ken's book is in order.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummmm......Maybe a chapter in Ken's book is in order.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Civil-War-Ho...item35c34ffc10Come on! I think this "Qualified collector" may want to open a book once in awhile!
    Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Re: Ummmm......Maybe a chapter in Ken's book is in order.

Andrew,

I wish there was a clearer photo as there are a few questionable things strapped or tied onto the saddle.

You would think that if a person were gonna ask nearly $19,000 for something, he would take some clear, well-lighted photos and with better angles. Would love to see an unobstructed airel shot.

On another front there were so very many deviations of the Jennie tree.

Hopefully, Ken will chime in...........

thx,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

To my untrained eye looks like a Kentucky Rollback of late 19th century.
      Dan Chmelar
      Semper Fi
      -ONV
      -WIG
      -CIR!

Comment

I'm with Dan it is most likely a rollback. I meant to post that in my original post.
        Andrew Verdon

Comment

Hey DAN!!!! Add that one to your growing collection of saddles!! I heard your a boarderline hoarder... :) plm
          Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Catalog saddle late 1890's - 1940. Made in large numbers by Sears Roebuck (see their 1906 and other catalogs).

Identified by Sears as .....
            - Kentucky Smooth Seat (built on a English tree, Somerset tree, etc.);
            - Kentucky Spring Seat (built on a leather tree patented by Minihan)
            - and other variations.

* In most cases they came with the heavy, wide wood stirrups.

Most of this saddle's style components and variations (well, nearly all of it) are post war so NOT for AC types but still a nice comfortable saddle to knock around in.

If your "a-hankerin fer one" I have one on my web site right now for ALOT less than $18,500! Course, if you want to pay that amount I will hand deliver it (and wash your car too while I am there).

Ken R Knopp
            Attached Files

Comment

Ken, for that much will you muck out the stables and feed the horses?
              Andrew Verdon

Comment

For that price it oughta come with the 5th place finisher in the Preakness under it!!!
                Your Humble Servant,
                Sean R. Otis
                124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
                MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
                Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
                at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Comment

Side Notes:

These Sears saddles retailed for $8 - $10 each "back in the day".

Sadly, the 'Historic Southern Saddles" book by C. Caba has had a lasting yet sometimes negative "ever lasting" influence. His mis-use of the "Jenifer" name application in his book has caused mis-identification of the Jenifer that continues even today. This saddle is no more a Jenifer than it is a British UP. Moreover, it is not a "Plantation" saddle....(another erroneous term).

Identifying saddles is a difficult (and I dare say continually learning) undertaking. While not foolproof or exacting, saddles are (or at least should be) identified by their trees. Beyond that, some are further identified by other treatments done to the construction of the tree. In this case, it is called a Kentucky Spring Seat or Kentucky Saddle. A name that "largely" originated with Minihan (1880's) in his patent of the "all leather" spring-type saddle tree. Some saddles are then further identified by seat treatment. In this case, ala "Smooth seat". Still, the correct identification of all saddles "should" always "begin" with the tree.

I enclose a page from the 1906 Sears Catalog for folks to read the descriptions.
                  It is further interesting to see the horned saddles on the same pages. They too evolved alot in appearance and by name which renders them equally confusing if not more so. This is particularly true with the subsequent generations and blends of Texas, Morgan and stock saddles. It makes for some interesting reading as well as a basis for learning how saddle terminology was applied at that point in history. Although please understand, saddle terminology originated and evolved throughout the 19th century with that of the saddles themselves and their changing construction applications. Sorry, I did not want to get too deep here.

Ebay is always are fascinating parade of human nature. If you really want to sell it (and have no integrity) then just call it "Confederate" and tell em it came outa Gettysburg!

Ken R KNopp
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Knopp View Post
                    Side Notes:

These Sears saddles retailed for $8 - $10 each "back in the day".

Sadly, the 'Historic Southern Saddles" book by C. Caba has had a lasting yet sometimes negative "ever lasting" influence. His mis-use of the "Jenifer" name application in his book has caused mis-identification of the Jenifer that continues even today. This saddle is no more a Jenifer than it is a British UP. Moreover, it is not a "Plantation" saddle....(another erroneous term).

Ken R KNopp
                    So...the infamous "Caba" book strikes again...................

While I like some of the info and photos in the book, it did an abysmal job of labeling Jennie's, Grimsley's and some others and cultivated the phrase "plantation saddle" into the vocabulary of a generation!

Andrew, it is your job to contact the "qualified collector" aforementioned and break the sad news.

regards,
                    Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Oh okay, but I want a raise!
                      Andrew Verdon

Comment

Andrew, When you ask for a raise, remember this... Double of nothing is still nothing.... TEH

BTW: I have an old rollback I'll sell for 5% of that that fella is asking... okay 2.5%... ;)
                        [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                        [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

The seller has apparently been informed by a number of people that this listing is incorrect and has no intention of changing her description. Seems to me this would make her guilty of fraud at this point.

Comment

If she has been receiving only verbal information and advice from outsiders, then she can stand on it just being hearsay or one word against another. However, if she is presented with documentation, then you would be correct.

The allure of $18,000 can make a person pretty close-minded to the truth.

Mark
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Working...
                            X