Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ITS BACK !!! 7TH Tenn. CAVALRY C.O.I. IS SCHEDULED! SIGN UP NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITS BACK !!! 7TH Tenn. CAVALRY C.O.I. IS SCHEDULED! SIGN UP NOW!

Gentlemen,

ANNOUNCING!!! the 2013 Cavalry Camp of Instruction (COI) March 23-24!!!............ONLY Two Days!!
    The flyer for the 7th Tennessee Cavalry’s annual Camp of Instruction (COI) held again this year at the historic Carnton Plantation in Franklin Tennessee is posted below. As you will see it is planned to be a spectacular cavalry event. Expect a very full weekend of riding schedule and educational instructionals on period CS cavalry topics, several sessions of mounted drill interspersed with the authentic cavalry vignettes.
    For those attending YOU WILL LIVE like a Confederate cavalryman in the field of 1863 with a cavalry specific “bivouac” living history campsite, all activities done in military order .... mounted and dis-mounted drill, “School of the Trooper”, assignments of night picket, mounted videttes and other routine cavalry camp duties. Learn from veteran cavalry reenactors with educational programs in.... period horsemanship & horse care, mounting/dismounting, fighting on foot, sabre drill, saddlery, clothing, weapons, accoutrements, authentic food, packing for the light marching order campaign, camp skills, “period” ways to keep you and your horse warm, cool and dry “in the field”, first person and more!

NOTE: Due to time constraints this year’s event will NOT be as extensive as last time with (artifact/uniform) displays but it will be nonetheless quite full, very educational, lots of mounted drill and great cavalry experiences

Want to ride, drill, live and learn authentically with a “full” company of mounted cavalry? Last time saw over 60 mounted participants! Maybe more this year!
    For those considering attending this event the hosts urge you to quickly get your registration form in. DEADLINE: March 1st!

NO Registration Fee!
    Time is of the essence!! Contact us now for a Registration Form......
    Mark Choate at choatecav@aol.com

Once received, a “invitation” will be mailed to you with full itinerary, event details, maps/directions, etc. There will be NO WALK-ONS!!

PREPARE for the remainder of the 150th’s (1863-64)!!

Horse Rentals available.....inquire

If you do nothing else in reenactment cavalry this year, I strongly urge all mounted cavalrymen to seriously consider attending this event. Thank you!

Ken R Knopp

-----------------------
    CAVALRYMEN WANTED!
    Individuals, groups or full units!

ITS BACK!!!
    CAVALRY CAMP OF INSTRUCTION!!

March 23 - 24

TWO DAYS ONLY!!

WHERE: Historic Carnton Plantation!, Franklin Tennessee! Located on the horrific 1864 Franklin Battlefield. The large 1826 brick mansion was a field hospital now home to the largest private Confederate cemetery in the South and a wonderful museum and living history center!

Annually Hosted by the 7th Tennessee Cavalry, Co. D

COME AND BE PREPARED TO..... Live like a Confederate cavalryman of 1863 in the field! All activities done in military order .... bivouac camp (no tents), mounted and dis-mounted drill, “School of the Trooper”, picket, mounted videttes and other routine cavalry camp duties.

PREPARE for the 150th’s (1863-65) LEARN to LIVE like a Cavalryman!

WHAT TO EXPECT: Mounted cavalry “Camp of Instruction”. There will be multiple sessions of mounted drill (last time we had over 60 mounted attendees), a cavalry specific living history campsite and, several special CS cavalry oriented educational programs in period.... saddlery, horsemanship, horse care, clothing, weapons, accoutrements, food preparation, packing for the light marching order, tips for living “comfortably” in the field “period” style and more. EXPECT a lot of riding, comradery, sharing info among other cavalrymen, learning .....and fun!

NO REGISTRATION FEE!! But....
    PRE-REGISTRATION (Invitation) ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED!!
    NO WALK-ONS WHATSOEVER!

PRESENTED BY CAVALRY REENACTORS .... FOR CAVALRY REENACTORS

For more information and a registration form contact Mark Choate choatecav@aol.com

“JINE US!”
    Last edited by Mark Choate; 01-19-2013, 12:41 PM.

Re: ITS BACK !!! 7TH Tenn. CAVALRY C.O.I. IS SCHEDULED! SIGN UP NOW!

hi Ken...
    I'm sorry I couldn't make the meeting, but everything kind of went to s*** when my son died at Christmas...digging back now. I would like to make the coi, but if I can't get my horse there, tell me about the rentals...(he's paid off now, but I haven't been able to go fetch him).

more later.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Mark Choate; 02-07-2013, 08:05 PM.
    Dennis Watson

Comment

I'm sorry I missed the meeting...too much drama here.
      ken said something about renting a horse for the coi....I paid offf my new horse, but I haven't been able to go get him yet...and I probably cant get him to the coi...more drama, eh? what is going on??

Dennis
      Dennis Watson

Comment

Dennis,

First, let me say that I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. That is tragic, indeed.

Next, if you will email me at choatecav@aol.com I will try to get you some information as to horse rentals or at least get you in touch with folks who may have rental horses.

Finally, a bit of "mod" business as I need to remind you to always sign your posts with first and last names. It's one of those rule kinda things........

hope to see you at the COI.

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hello Cavalrymen!

Allow me to update the progress of the Cavalry Camp of Instruction at the Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN., that Ken announced a few weeks ago.

The registrations are coming in at a good pace so we are anticipating another great turnout. While not intended to be quite as large as 2011's three-day event, it will nevertheless be an intense two days of cavalry experience. Although the primary thrust will be on fundamentals with a heavy emphasis on drill and precision movement, we will spend a lot of time in the saddle working on battlefield tactics and trooper deployment. The experience is “round the clock” as duties will be assigned and carried out through the night with pickets and videttes.

We also have 9 instructional sessions on topics such as period saddles and tack, uniforms, shoeing/blacksmithing, horsemanship, weapons and much more. In 2011, one of the highlights was Matt Woodburn generously bringing his ultra-rare collection of approximately 15 original revolvers which he displayed, discussed and allowed us to handle. I am pleased to announce that Matt has graciously agreed to bring another portion of his vast collection to present in like fashion. If you would like to know more about what that will be, then attend the COI!

If you are interested in this unique experience, simply email me at choatecav@aol.com for a registration form.

Regards,

Mark
          J. Mark Choate
          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Left Wheel ! Right Wheel! Column of twos, forward at the trot! FRONT into line! Mark is looking for another Cohiba endorphin release!
            [I][SIZE=3]Jeff Gibson[/SIZE][/I]
            [SIZE=3][I]Consolidated Independent Rangers[/I][/SIZE]
            [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Gentlemen..........

We are entering the final three weeks before the Cavalry Camp of Instruction at Carnton in Franklin, TN. The numbers are looking very good and the instructors are stellar! It is only two days this time, but I promise you that it will be an intense two days. If, at the end, you don't agree that it was worth it,......I will refund your money. :wink_smil

Please let me know if you want to register (no cost this year) to come and especially if you are not presently in the cavalry and you need to rent a mount. They are getting in short supply and I need to know sooner rather than later.

Thanks,
              Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this up one more time as we are less than one week away!! The interest has be great, lots of registrations in and a fantastic line-up of instructors combined with lots and lots of drill, duties and cavalry life.

Not too late to climb on board...............

thanks,
                Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Working...
                X