Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry Opportunities in 2013

Hey all,

In the past several days, the folks in my unit (1st Maine) and the folks in the Valley Light Horse (Todd Kern and crew), along with some other cavalry types have been talking quite a bit about events for this year. Most of our talk has focused on the event at Aldie, June 14-16th, and the BGA Gettysburg, June 27-30.

That said, I am sure that there must be a couple of other events out there this season that appeal to us. And while I know that most of the active cavalry users of this forum either belong to, or ride with either the VLH, 7th TN, Hog Drivers, Critters, 1st MD or 1st ME, I am certain that there are other folks who won't, but read the forums. So, as a "public service" I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a thread on here to help coordinate things a little, and let us all know any opportunities that might be out there for this year, or next for that matter.

I know the 7th TN, Mark and Ken are hosting their COI in March, but I don't have the dates, and they can speak to that.

How about what's going on at Chickamauga? Anyone have info on that?

I know there was some talk about Marmaduke's Raid having mounted people, how about that?

For the 1st Maine, I can share the following:
    April 5-7th "In Hooker's Rear" tactical hosted by Chris Anders near Fredericksburg. This probably isn't worth a loooong drive, but it doesn't hurt to know about it.

June 14-16th "Prelude to Gettysburg" 150th Anniversary of Aldie, Middleburg and Upperville. I posted a notice about this event here on Sunday. This will be a campaign march, and commemoration of the battle on one of the pivotal battlefields of the Gettysburg campaign. This is going to be a progressive only event, and it will be 100% campaign. We'll cross around 15 miles of the best horse country left in America, AND all original battlefield land.

It's tough because of the time relative to Gettysburg, but if I was going to make a trip to the east this season to do something cavalry, and related to Gburg, this event would be m pick. By us, for us, with no farbs, funnel cakes, or sitting around baking in the sun.

June 27-30 BGA Gettysburg
    I think most of us believe that lots and lots of us will end up at this event, despite the bellyaching and the nay saying about it. That said, there are two efforts underway to organize those of "us" who choose to be there. The 1st Maine will be hosting a C/H/P company of federals. We'll act as a company on our own, but will participate in all the event activities. We're working on having a march in to the event site, and a variety of other activities to appeal to our crowd. We've got enthusiastic support from the Federal command, and in fact they've asked up to portray the 8th Ill. which fired the first shots of the battle.

The VLH are beginning to organize a CS company/platoon with much the same goal in mind. I had hoped that we could all pool in together, but there are lots of folks who can't do dual impressions, but will want to be at the "big dance."

October 11-13th "Mosby" event, near Middleburg, VA. This is a tactical/outpost style event hosted by the 1st ME and the VLH. The event will feature Federal cavalry and some infantry against Mosby's Rangers. We've got close to 1200 prisitine acres of prime horse country to work with. We've also got the civilians of AGSAS who will be filling up Welbourne Manor for an immersive 1st person weekend as part of the event. Past versions of these have been the highlight of the year for many of us.

What else do any of you have? Don't be shy, and don't worry about where it's located...you never know who else is reading!

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Re: Cavalry Opportunities in 2013

I think our favorite Marine lieutenant, Dan Chmelar is heading up the Fed mounted for Marmaduke's. He's off line for a few days, trying to find his way out of the woods at Quantico.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Hi Tom,

I think this is a great idea. The logistical challenges that cavalry types have to deal with given the cost of diesel, trailering, etc. are such that we do need to "pool" our info.

Before I go further, let me note that I placed my moderator hat on for a moment and moved this thread to the Cavalry Camp of Instruction forum as it is not a pure discussion on authenticity per se.

That having been said, it has been a bit disappointing as to the number of good events for us to select from. I feel that last year (150's of 1862) offered much more, but then again, that is just my opinion. In the Tennessee area, we have been inundated with requests from all types of towns and communities wanting to do Living History events to honor what happened in their area in '63. We are working with some and passed on many more. Here is what we have on the slate:

March 23 - 24: The Cavalry Camp of Instruction at the Carnton Plantation in Franklin, TN. Ken has already announced this and if you wish to register to attend, please contact me.

April 27 - 28: Battle of Triune, TN.

June 28 - 30: Gettysburg. I personally am not going up but a few of our fellas will try it.

Sept 19 - 22: Chickamauga. Not sure what is being done as an adjunct or anything.

Living Histories:

March 9: Thompson Station- Site of sizable cavalry action under Earl Van Dorn's forces with Forrest in a pivotal role. His legendary horse, "Roderick" was killed here.

May 3 - 4: "Burning of LaGrange College" in Leighton, Al.

June 22: Forrest Home in Chapel Hill, TN.

Nov. 2 - 3: Stones River National Battlefield in Murfreesboro, TN.

Dec. 14: Belle Meade Plantation in Nashville, TN.

Again, given all of the challenges that horsemen face in transportation, not to mention other areas, and this sharing of event info is key. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Tom.

regards,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I think Tom's post and suggestion has merit given the limited number of authentic cavalry we have in the hobby and the need to pool our numbers so I am bumping this back up for consideration.

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Hey guys, Sorry about getting into this so late into the game. Been spending LOTS of time in the Quantico tree line doing all sorts of fun Marine Corps Infantry stuff!

Here's the low down for Marmadukes Raid as far as the Federal side. The date is April 5-7 near Patterson, Missouri. We are portraying the 3rd Missouri State Militia Cavalry. They were a group formed pretty much for protection within the borders of Missouri. They were armed and equipped by the Federal government, but with lots of outdated arms and a hodge podge of equipment. Records show they were originally armed with Austrian Smoothbore long arms. Revolving rifles and Hall Rifles are also indicated. Since I am sure that nearly no one in our circles have those, we are shooting for everyone to at least carry a three band weapon (Enfield or '61/'42 Springfield.) I know I personally have an extra is someone is in need of a three bander. Clothing wise it will be a hodge podge of civilian and Federal issue. Tack and saddles can be a mix of civi as well as Macs.

One thing to note is the event goes live on Friday morning. Here is a website for the event with the basic information on it. If you are interested in riding as Federal please get ahold of me either here or at dan.chmelar@gmail.com. Horses for this one need to be shod and in shape. It is some rough rocky ground we will be riding!
          Dan
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

Working...
          X