Ride.........Ride...........Ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride.........Ride...........Ride!

I hope the members will allow me a bit of leeway for a moment......

While this is for any who wish to read it, my targeted audience would be those in the mounted community. We have had some odd weather here in middle Tennessee this winter and awoke this morning to a blanket of snow everywhere. As the temp climbed into the mid 30's, I decided a good long ride would be in order. So, I saddled one of the horses and off I went. Clouds had been building back up and the temp dropped some and about halfway through my ride it started to snow again. After riding up a long hill through some heavy timber, I came to a large field and it was really putting it down. Some big flakes, too. I was bundled up pretty good, but was also pulling heat from my mount. No worries of getting mired up or stuck as I was on natures “4-wheel drive.” It was wonderful! I was a long way from civilization, snow falling and was working on a fine cigar. Does it get any better than that??? I try to get in at least two rides a week and while I don't always achieve it, most of the time I do.

I am not sharing this just for “kicks and giggles” but to encourage all of the cavalrymen out there to make regular rides and working with your mounts a part of your weekly routine just as much as repairing tack, selecting your uniform or anything else that you do in preparation for events. Now I know that I am probably preaching to the choir here as I think most of you do ride regularly...even in the winter, but it amazes (and appalls) me to hear men say, “I only ride when I come to events.” Or, “ I haven't ridden since we were at such and such event.” I am not sitting in judgment of anyone, but we spend such an inordinate amount of time, effort, money, etc. with making sure our kit is just so and our tack is built by this person or that and our weapons, uniforms and clothing are proper to match the unit, the time period and the region that we are portraying and then we don't work on our horsemanship with equal fervor. That is just a shame! Let's face it......we want to have all of our gear just right and I applaud those efforts, but the thing that separates the cavalryman from everyone else is his horse! I don't mean separation in a superiority sense at all but you know what I mean. Nothing looks worse than a cavalryman who can barely sit a horse and is constantly fighting with his mount to establish control. It looks bad, it detracts from the units effort and is terribly unsafe. Those men that we portray were pound-for-pound much better horsemen than we are and we can never be “too” proficient in this regard,

So, please take this in the manner in which it is intended and work with your horse on a very regular basis all through the year. It will improve your impression and make the whole experience more rewarding.

Again, thank you for allowing me to discuss this and we now return you to your regular programming.

regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Choate; 02-03-2013, 04:54 PM.
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Re: Ride.........Ride...........Ride!

Good on your head Mark, I wish I rode as much as that. I should ride on a reguler bacis but admit I hate riding in the bitter cold. I shall follow your lead and gurd my loins and risk frozen toes on me and my horse. :) plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Need to get back into riding more thane one time every other week. I keep using the excuse that it's too cold. Betcha if I strap my greatcoat to the pommel I'll stop using that one!
      Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

I try to ride everyday but the footing out here kinda sucks
        that and the cold.....

Comment

Mark,
          Your statement is so true.
          I know it makes a difference in my horses even if they have been in this hobby for years now. They and I suffer when I don't work them out. I went today .Thanks for the reminder. One horse is fat and needs to be ridden so much the more.
          Thanks
          Jerry Ross
          Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
          Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Chris, get sharp shoes on your horse.
            Casey Mott

Comment

Thanks Casey. I'll check with my farrier

Comment

Mark,

You make me feel like I've been missing out on something very fundamental by spending my twenty-some-odd years in the hobby portraying an infantryman!
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

John,
                  You have! Ride cavalry and you'll understand.

Take care,
                  Tom Craig
                  1st Maine Cavalry
                  Tom Craig

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                    Mark,

You make me feel like I've been missing out on something very fundamental by spending my twenty-some-odd years in the hobby portraying an infantryman!
                    Well, John, while my intentions were not to rattle anyone's foundations, I have to say that if you ever give in to the sirens call and cross over to the "other side" you will never go back....................

Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I wouldn't mind giving it a try, if the opportunity every presented itself!
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger

Comment

John,
                        Mark is right, if you ever heed the call of the "dark side" you very well may never go back. If you ever make it to the "east" and want to give it a try, let me know.

Take care,
                        Tom Craig
                        1st Maine Cavalry
                        Tom Craig

Comment

I'm kinda there now. I'm as far from Lexington, VA as I am from Nashville, TN. I'm as close to the coastal forts as I am to Atlanta.
                          ;-)
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger

Comment

I have heard of those infantry types...they WALK don't they??? plm
                            Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

John
                              As one who just started riding very late in life, I have to say if you try it and love it you are in serious trouble! Do your research before you even think of sitting on a horse! You will either be a rider for life or quickly find it is not for you.. If the former, it is an amazing adventure. If the latter you can thank your gods you will have money to retire some day.

Comment

Working...
                              X