Bridles & Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridles & Introduction

I was reading through the ordinances on what was issued to the Cavalry for Union soliders. Previously I always thought the 6 buckle headstalls were issued to officers and the 3 buckle headstalls were issued to enlisted men. Were they all issued the 6 buckles then?

Also I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Victoria Amrhein and I currently run as a full time courier for the Florida 4th brigade. I'm based out of Jacksonville, FL so we reenact mostly around Florida but will be going horseless to Gettysburg but horsed at Chickamauga since we were invited by the officers to run as their courier. I'm replacing most of my gear this year for Chickamauga and would like to really push for a more authentic representation. I am a woman and do really try and put an effort at passing within the 10ft rule. This year I'm working on my research of women that enlisted in the Cavalry so I can have my research backing my portrayal. I have been reenacting since I was 11, starting at living histories and started participating in battles at 17/18. SO I have been doing this awhile but this year I'm really wanting to start working on my authenticity as the money becomes available for me to do so. I do have a new 1859 Mac coming for this year since mine was a 1904 modified. I have read through the threads to glean what I can and already I've learned quite a bit!

ETA:
    From my research I would be part of the Independent Battalion Massachusetts Cavalry who were formerly the 3rd Battalion of the 1st Massachusetts (who were split from the 1st Massachusetts when the 1st and 2nd battalion shipped to Virginia) who traveled from Hilton Head down to Jacksonville, FL and then fought in the Battle of Olustee.

It's a pleasure to meet y'all.
    Last edited by CWCourier; 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM.
    Victoria "Vic" Amrhein

Re: Bridles & Introduction

Victoria,
    Welcome to the AC. I applaud your effort to learn and upgrade your kit! No offense, but you will face a rough audience here, because folks on this forum aren't too friendly to women who portray men. That said, regardless of my personal opinion on the matter, I'm always happy to help anyone learn, and improve their impression.

In the federal service 3 buckle bridles were generally issued as an "early war" item, and 6 buckles came later. The trouble is that you can find 3 buckles used and issued throughout the war, so they aren't always early only. 6 buckles only came in, in '63 (off the top of my head) so they are incorrect for an early impression, but ok any time after that. Officer kit was private purchase, so they could in effect have any configuration they choose. Additionally, you'll see a lot of civilian bridles in use among Union troopers...stuff that was pressed into service once the issue gear broke down etc.

An excellent source on the 1st Massachusetts is the unit's regimental history, written by Benjamin Crowninshield. It is one of the best cavalry regimentals that was ever written. If you don't own a copy, look it up and get one, it is a treasure trove of info. Also look into Stephen Starr's three volume history of Union cavalry. Not much about Florida, but great info all the same.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Comment

Thank you Tom.

I didn't know how warm a welcome here being female and all but I'm going to keep doing this anyway and my gender ain't going to change so might as well be as authentic as I possibly can be. I am doing research on the women who did fall in with the Cavalry of which there are quite a few documented cases so that when I am questioned I will be knowledgeable and be able to carry on an intelligent conversation about it. I cut my hair to shoulder length and keep it a solid natural color, wear a medical style breast binder and purchase my clothes a bit larger to hide curves and have mounted trousers that are cut in a way to hide hips. I have a feminine face, but typically keep my head ducked a bit so you can't see it to well from the crowd perspective. There's just not much I can do about being a woman and this is something that I love to do. I do mainly mainstream events generally anyway but the only thing I know I change about them is me.

I'll look in to that and order that book soon. I've just started really doing research on my own since I left the Cav unit I was apart of because of far too much drama. So now it's just me.
      Victoria "Vic" Amrhein

Comment

I just looked online and this book is available to read for free online from:

Thanks again for the referral!
        Victoria "Vic" Amrhein

Comment

Working...
        X