carrying a musket on horseback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrying a musket on horseback

I have a reproduction of a confederate made two band rifle. It is currently outfitted with a linen sling. When adjusted all the way out, I can sling the rifle diagonally across my back when mounted, but not with any room to spare. I am burdened by my excess of flesh. Would it strain credibility to go with an enfield sling, so as to allow for a more comfortable/safe fit when riding? The musket is a copy of some Macon gunsmith made weapons of the period. Very close to the Georgia armory rifle. How do you guys carry your long guns when in the saddle? My impression is exclusivley for school presentations, or irritating my Yankee neighbor at every available moment. Please advise!
    Thanks,
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: carrying a musket on horseback

Dan Chemlar carries a 3 band Enfield for some events. Hey Dan, give your 2 cents.
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I don't sling my 3 band at all. I don't want it strapped to my back when I fall off. I carry it the entire time I am on horse back.
      Jerry Ross
      Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
      Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Do we know what the norm was for long guns on horseback in the day? And by the way, I have been under the impression that the Enfield sling was longer, thus allowing more room for me to breathe with it attached to a two band rifle.
        Greg Tucker
        Greg Tucker

Comment

'evening,

The Enfield sling is longer than the Springfield sling. Back when I picked up my first Sharps, correct slings weren't being made for them. After being told that the Springfield was the correct length and trying it, only to find out that it is too short on a Sharps rifle - have to punch minimum of 6" worth of extra holes just to get the hook to attach. Next I tried an Enfield sling. It's just about perfect length for me.

Since the Sharps rifle is about the same length as a Mississippi, I'm assuming that it's also in the ballpark of your two-bander.

But as Jerry pointed out, do you want something that rigid strapped to your person if you fall off? I'm a mudfoot, so I don't have the same issue.

Calum
          Michael Thomas

11th PA Reserves, 40th PVI, Co F
          www.facebook.com/reserve.companyf

1st USSS, Co H
          http://nyberdans.wix.com/nyberdans

Comment

Bear in mind that I just do demonstrations for my school and others in the surrounding counties. No hard charging. I am fully geared up for only moments as I make my entrance. During that time however, I want to appear as I would have 150 years ago if possible. I then dismount and go through my demo. before riding again sans weapon. I really don't much like riding with a rifle on me or in my hand either. Have any of you seen sketches from the war depicting the carrying of long guns? I just want to get it right for the initial impression.
            Thanks
            Greg Tucker
            Greg Tucker

Comment

Greg

I like to ride with my long gun across me legs and resting against the saddle pommel going from the left to right. This way I have control of it and the horse. For long rides I sometimes use my night strap (a leather strap wrapped around the saddle horn for my Texas saddle or the top opening for my Mac) and feed the long gun into the strap and allow it to rest in the same area between my legs and the saddle. I don't like to have it hanging with the butt in the air for I do not like to risk losing any teeth or having the powder fall out. When in formation I just hold it and keep the barrel in the air, while I rest the butt on my leg.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
              Jeff Thompson

Comment

John Walsh of Fort Donelson relics has shown me many examples of wilders brigade indentified weapons with wear mark patterns on them that (might,might )indicate that the guns were placed on the pommel of the saddle.
                Other people may have other evidence.

Again I don't strap my gun to any thing. This is most true as I do CS. When I ride Federal of courseI use the the sling they were provided..That sling would not work well on a 3 bander. I think it would drag the ground..

This has been discussed before you might use the search button here on the site to get the older conversation.
                Jerry Ross
                Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Greg,
                  I regularly carry my Mississippi slung across my back. When riding in large formations or to use either a pistol or a saber it is too difficult to carry in my hand. I do prefer to ride with it off of my back, but a lot of situations dictate the need to sling it. Usually I have it so the barrel is at my left shoulder and the butt is behind my right hip. I use the standard sling for an 1842 musket and have no problems. This picture is of me in April. The horse jumped before the photo was taken and when I circled back into position I missed the mark so the picture is slightly out of focus. You can barely see my Mississippi over my shoulder. Photo by Del Hilbert.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0078.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	223818
                  Chris Bopp

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded. It has been a big help indeed. Chris, is the 1842 strap a bit longer than the standard for the Mississippi rifle? And kudos on a fine photo! How was it done? I know nothing about photography I'm afraid.
                    Thanks again and God bless and keep you all.
                    Greg Tucker
                    Greg Tucker

Comment

There is a sketch in Harpers Weekly of the 1st MD Cavalry in New Windsor MD when they were part of Early's invasion of MD. It shows troopers with carbines carried across their back. Some are slung, but a fair amount are on their back. There is no way from the photo to see the types of slings that were used. I can't remember from the reports, but are long arms issued with a sling or strap? Wouldn't you use the correct sling that would have come with the long arm?
                      Rob Bruno
                      1st MD Cav
                      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

From "The Prairie Traveller"-a prewar manual for those going west-

"This may be a convenient way of carrying the gun; I have never tried it. Of all methods I have used, I prefer, for hunting, a piece of leather about twelve inches by four, with a hole cut in each end; one of the ends is placed over the pommel of the saddle, and with a buckskin string made fast to it, where it remains a permanent fixture. When the rider is mounted, he places his gun across the strap upon the saddle, and carries the loose end forward over the pommel, the gun resting horizontally across his legs. It will now only be necessary occasionally to steady the gun with the hand. After a little practice the rider will be able to control it with his knees, and it will be found a very easy and convenient method of carrying it. When required for use, it is taken out in an instant by simply raising it with the hand, when the loose end of the strap comes off the pommel. "
                        Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Leland Hares

Your post caught my attention and I bought the book. I should get it in a few weeks and read it.

Thanks for a great find.

Jeff
                          Jeff Thompson

Comment

Rob,

I was fairly certain that I had or could gain access to the HW sketch that you are referring to. I would like to see it if you have it handy.

If not, don't tear the house down searching for it.

thx,
                            Mark
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark,
                              I will have to look for it. I might have it in a book at home. Let me see what I can find.
                              Rob Bruno
                              1st MD Cav
                              http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Working...
                              X