pattern for confederate feed bag...midwar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pattern for confederate feed bag...midwar

I must admit that I sometimes meet with limited success with this site's search engine, so if this is redundant, I apologize sincerely. As part of my summer's sewing projects, I want to sew a feed bag appropriate for mid war impressions. I love the one shown by Paul on his site, but I like to make my own stuff whenever I can. Would it be giving up trade secrets for someone to give me the dimensions top and bottom, and the depth. What weight canvas as well? I have got some 10oz leather I was going to use in the bottom. How did the mid/late war models differ from the earlier ones?
    I pray that God will keep and bless you all,
    Greg Tucker
    Greg Tucker

Re: pattern for confederate feed bag...midwar

All,

We have started to migrate some "how to" and more educational threads onto the Cavalry Discussion. They are better suited for the Cavalry COI forum. I will move them now.

Please continue with your programming.....

Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

In answer to your question there is limited information about the "CS" pattern nose bags and "how much" or "if" they differed from the Federal pattern.

For starters, for the most part, the Confederate ordnance dept and its officers generally tried to copy items which they were familiar and those being used by the Federals as exemplified in the 1850's regulations and/or the 1862 Ordnance Manual. Without clear evidence to the contrary (and I have yet to see any detailed evidence whatsoever) this would probably apply to "nose bags" (a.k.a. feed bags). This would further include the same (or close) dimensions, wight of the canvas, etc. etc. wherever, and whenever resources (canvas duck, leather, thread, hardware), labor and time permitted. That being said, in the case of shortages of some or all of the above, some shortcuts would and routinely did take place. Moreover, the deployment of feed bags while prolific in the beginning of the war (particularly in the west from depots like Memphis and Nashville) was tapered off to the point their production was halted at the Richmond arsenal by July 1863 but it remains unclear if this was also the case in the west.

This is covered in somewhat more detail on pages 132- 133 of my book CONFEDERATE SADDLES AND HORSE EQUIPMENT. In my second book MADE IN THE CSA (pg. 46) ....I included (as a very last minute inclusion before going to press) an illustration of what was presented to me at the time as a legitimate CS nose bag used by a member of the Ameilia Light Dragoons, 1st Va. Cavalry direct from the family. It was found in the original family barn on original property of the CW trooper and had the family's long held belief as passed down to them that it was completely legitimate. I could not get a photo but offered up a drawing based upon the measurements and description take by my friend and professional historian David Born. I subsequently received some criticism at the time regarding the legitimacy of this artifact suggesting that given its lack of leather bottom it could just be a simple (although mighty “deep”) barn “nail bag". OK, I accept that. I went with it in the book based upon the evidence I had at the time. And, while that criticism might very well be true the item does have eerily close measurements to the war time Federal pattern of nose bag (unlike a common nail bag) and other strong characteristics including “understandable” ersatz "short-cuts" and a functionality that, beyond its familial credentials gives it a lot of legitimacy. I might also point out that "family documentation" while always circumstantial, has some real value and is often given considerable weight by historians to artifacts when other aspects line up. At any rate, one can argue the points and merits but I will let you make the call.

Now, for your question regarding “mid-war” patterns.... except for perhaps the use of leather (straps and bottom) in the early war and “perhaps” more use of rope as a replacement poll strap (to save hardware and leather) in the mid to late war (given time and place) I do not think there would likely be much difference in nose bags for any period of war. I note it remained virtually the same for the Federals during the war.

Well, here ya go. I subjected ya’ll to yet another long winded “rant”. Not sure if this helps, stirs up a hornets nest or finds everyone apathetic. Regardless, you have my last word on the subject with my apologies,

Ken R KNopp

Comment

Ken, It sounds like this was cathartic for you! I've seen the sketch, and it looks nothing like a nail bag to me....I'm with you. I was more or less wondering what the opening width was in inches. I believe I read on your site that the bottom was 6.5 inches. Might the top opening be about 8.0 inches or so?
        Let the nay sayers write their own works, I agree with your interpretation of the artifact.
        God Bless,
        Greg Tucker
        Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
        X