Dem bones, dem bones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dem bones, dem bones

As some of you may have heard , in early August I had a horse owners worst nightmare...I rolled my horse trailer with my two mounts in it. Upon coming to an intersection on a Wisconsin highway, my truck brakes failed (front brake line blew) an I had to make a 90 degree turn. It was not pretty and still haunts me, but GOD gives blessings even in such a disaster. Both horses were banged up pretty good, and the help from other cavalry folks who were not far behind as well as strangers was one of the many blessings I mentioned. The horses are now healed and do not seem to be tromitised emotionally. My Tenn. walker has ...had...a bad lameness in his right rear hip and time was all that I could be given to see if it was broke, displaced or just sore. I started looking for a horse chiropractor and finally found a lady not far who came out last week and adjusted both horses. BIG DIFFERANCE! Here is the moral to this story...have your horses adjusted once in a while as part of your regular care program. Your horse gets out of alignment same as you, and if you have ever been there you know how good it feels to get adjusted, so I suggest we all treat our horse partners to help them be the best they can be. Thank you for listening. plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: Dem bones, dem bones

Good suggestion, Paul.

I must admit to "once upon a time" having been a skeptic to the whole "equine chiropractor" thing. Viewed it right up there with snake oil and voodoo dolls, but I was exposed to it through my wife's associates in dressage and actually watched a few treatments and heard the massive bone pops as the spine and skeletal structure was re-aligned and more importantly have now seen numerous maladies solved and problems corrected and I now am firmly a believer in the work.

I remember thinking years ago that there was no way on earth that the hands of a man could possibly be strong enough to manipulate the large muscles and bones of a horse. Then I found out that much of the work is done by using the horses own reflexes and responses to stimuli in order to make these adjustments. I even picked up some tips on things I could do for slight maintenance and to promote suppleness. Anyway, some really good stuff in Paul's advice and while it does not have a historic theme, it is exactly the reason why this "Cav COI" forum was created a few years back. Unlike other branches of the military (exceptions being some artillery and mtd officers) we are using powerful animals in our impression and it is vital that all of us know all we can and learn continuously from one another.

Good post, Paul!!

Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Re: Dem bones, dem bones

You know, you would think with my need for a chiropractor for myself (Hip displasia and Scholiosiss) that I would have thought about this for my horse! I may need to call around and find one in my area. Great advice.
      Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Working...
      X