Horses in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horses in winter

I want to pass along some info that may be of interest to we cavalry folks. With winter coming on fast, there are those who will blanket their horses in the winter to protect their mounts from the falling temps. Thou it does seem the right thing to do, do not! Horses are able to raise and lower their coat hairs to fluff themselves up to trap air like a bird fluffs it's feathers, and adding a blanket inhibits this ability. Even in wet weather along with cold, your horse will be fine even if you see it shiver. What you have to be sure of is having a good place for your mount to get out of the wind!!! The wind is where the danger is. While in the field and the horse is picketed in cold and windy conditions, a blanket will sure make them more comfortable , but moving them to a wind break is better. Save me a place at the fire....plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: Horses in winter

I have always been of the mind set that a good run in shed that cuts the wind is one of the best things, no need for a fancy barn, horse blankets etc.....
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Re: Horses in winter

Originally posted by Huck View Post
      I have always been of the mind set that a good run in shed that cuts the wind is one of the best things, no need for a fancy barn, horse blankets etc.....
      I only found this post today. If a horse has a continuous hay supply, they can weather virtually any temps. They generate their own heat from a fermentation in their gut. This explains why the hay bill increases as temps decrease. We blanket only the very old or sick around our place,(horses, not people). A friend from Ocala FL. once told me that they have seen some of those cow ponies from the Midwest back off the stock trailers with ice still in their tails, and they were just fine. The eating of hay is every bit as good as run in shelter if you've got healthy horses....just costs more!
      Greg Tucker
      Greg Tucker

Comment

Working...
      X