Needing some saddle work done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some saddle work done

Does anyone know who does rawhiding work here in the west? I am needing my California saddle re-rawhided. I sent it to Doug Kidd 2 years ago and it is in worst shape now then before. I'll send it to him again if I have to but I am looking forsomeone here in Arizona, New Mexico, or even Californa if I can.

If someone can help please let me know
    [U]Andy Miller[/U]
    1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
    [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Re: Needing some saddle work done

I know a few people who can do it.
    Casey Mott

Comment

Mike Brase in WA may be able to help you out.
      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

The guy I would get ahold of is Jack Stewart from J.C. Stewart Saddlery he is down in Ash Fork Arizona. He specializes in Indian through Span-Am war. He can help find someone to get it done right for you with the correct materials and quality. If you are interested PM me and I will give you his info. Jack is a very old school saddler and a heck of a good guy to work with.
        Mike Brase
        Proprietor
        M.B. Young and Co.
        One of THEM!
        Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

Seems this thread is well on it's way. If the OP doesn't mind I'll tag on that I've a McClellan saddle that needs redoing up here in New York. Most of the leather is dry-rotted, the only thing I can confirm is that the tree seems sound. Am I better off just buying one new, or is this worth sending out to be restored?
          Eugene Yeo
          “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Comment

It depends on Eugene, if the tree is sound and fits your horse( in case you need it for riding) it could make sense to rebuild it.
            Getting a new tree is pretty hard at the moment.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

I agree with Jan. New tree construction, of proper quality, is difficult.

I had a fella in Cornelia Georgia (I won't mention name) that recently sent a Muley tree to for rawhiding and he was very good and reasonable. Well, he has fallen off of the map and I cannot get any reply back. Have had others try, too.

Ed Steele in Ashland City TN is still making trees and he sends them off to get rawhided. That might be an option.

Personally, I would contract Karl Pepper at Glen Pier to get it done for you. He has sources.

I am fresh out of ideas out in far west.

Mark
              Last edited by Mark Choate; 01-17-2014, 02:46 PM.
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Thank you all for your recommendations.
                I do have to add though in order to keep a correct impression of the 1st California Cavalry the saddle needs to be cracked and worn. To summarize saddles of the 1st CA; The Dragoon Grimsley saddles that were in surplus and issued literally fell apart upon issue. The 1859 McClellan had not made it to California (only trial saddles were documented per-war in CA). In order to meet the demands Col (Gen) Carlton and the Benecia Arsenal had numerous saddle makers in San Francisco and Sacramento build saddles for the 1st and 2nd California Cavalry regiments. According to reports and specs the saddle was a California/ Ranger saddle minus the muchilla. Because of the dry Arizona and New Mexico climate, and the speed of saddle construction many of these saddles were cracked and separating early on.

With this information I have put off repairing my saddle but it is to a point that either I repair is or turn it into a show piece. To add to the earlier paragraph we still have not found any documentation of saddles being covered in leather during the Civil War period. Yes this was done during the post war period to many McClellan saddles during the Indian war periods.

Again thank you all for your help.
                [U]Andy Miller[/U]
                [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

Andy,
                  Yes, those military saddles that got sent out there were "long in the tooth" way before they arrived. Also, I can imagine the drying out of the rawhide on the Rangers. My question, however, is how are you going to get anyone to rawhide the tree and make it looked dry and cracked from the start?

Just curious..............

thx,
                  Mark
                  J. Mark Choate
                  7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark
                    No I am not planning on having an old and cracked look. I want to get the saddle back long term riding condition. Right now the tree is exposed in several places and I'm concered with cracking the tree. The saddle is only 5 years old but it is comfortable when I ride on it.

Thanks
                    Andy
                    [U]Andy Miller[/U]

Comment

Andy

Do you have any accounts of what kinds of saddles Benicia was getting? Where they civilian or military saddles? Or do we know? CA research can be trying as so much information was destroyed in the 06 quake.
                      Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Do you have a picture of the saddle?
                        Casey Mott

Comment

Robert
                          I have a resource at the Arizona Historical society. He aparently has a copy of the specs requested by Benecia. Of course I haven't seen them in person so take this at face value. All we have gathered (Troy Groves mostly) is that it was a California style saddle minus the Muchlla. From what pictures we saw it is a skeleton rigged saddle. Also Carltons OR's reported turning in a valise and issue saddle bags.

Sorry but that is all I have. With everything else going on in my life more research has been put on the back burnr, so I have not done further research on the matter. My number 1 start is to contact the AZ Historical society and inspect the specs.
                          Thanks
                          Andy

- - - Updated - - -

Casey
                          Standby. I have to go to the tack room and pull it down. The saddle I have is one Doug Kidd built from Borderstates leatherworks.
                          Andy
                          [U]Andy Miller[/U]

Comment

AZFarrier, can you send me a private message, I have some questions for you regarding the saddles of the 1st and 2nd California Cavalry. Thanks
                            Jeff Dunwoody
                            Pvt. Thomas Sears Cadenhead, Company "C" 11th Texas Infantry
                            My Great Great Grandfather

Delta Company 1-185th Armor OIF VII

Comment

Working...
                            X