Learnin the ropes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learnin the ropes

I am wanting to make 19th century rope halters and need more photos to work from than I have found, so I am asking for a bit of help. If you have such photos, please pm me with them, or just post them. Thank you plm
    Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Re: Learnin the ropes

That would be great if people would post them. I asked the question along with a requisition and receipt of rope halters issued early in the war. No one came up with a particular pattern of what would have been issued or made. It would cool if more research or information has come to light.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I've got a period sketch, but this site won't let me load it.

It's John Audubon's "The Forty-niner"
      Casey Mott

Comment

Jeff Nichols
        Valley Light Horse

Comment

From what I can tell in the Audubon sketch, the rope halter pictured looks to be tied almost identically to a modern rope halter. There are several sites online with instructions on how to tie a modern rope halter. It would stand to reason to me that when it comes to something like a rope halter or a neck rope, we probably didn't reinvent the wheel in the 21st century. That's probably one of those things that's been done the same basic way forever. Sort of like tying a girth.
          Larry Morgan
          Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Working...
          X