Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telescope carry options?

Greetings.

I recently picked up a brass 3 draw telescope to replace my poor quality binoculars. How would a mounted officer usually carry one for quicker access than from a saddle bag? I'm really not wanting to attach more gear to my body if it isn't necessary. I making a leather tube case, and I'm considering attaching it to the off side of my saddle somewhat like a pommel pouch, but thought I'd check to see if this idea was sound or just glaringly wrong.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance-

Gary Bradford
    Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
    9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
    On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Re: Telescope carry options?

Gary,

To my knowledge, there are no regulations as to how or where to carry such an item. That being said, from a practicality standpoint, there would be two phases to consider. A) Times of limited or no need in which case it would have been secured in valise or saddlebags, etc. and B) Times of immediate need when it would have been carried on one's person. I seriously doubt that fashioning a rig to attach this to the saddle would have been prudent due to the delicate nature of the lens mountings within such a precision device. A hard mount to the saddle would subject it to excessive jarring which would undoubtedly cause damage and that would not be as likely if secured in a valise, etc. Also.....I don't know of any documentation of such a rigging. Much like cylinder pouches. I would refrain from that direction, personally.

If anyone does know of any, please speak up.

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Mark,

So... you are saying I shouldn't let my impression dictate history?
      It's so helpful to get an outside objective opinion as you make good points that I hadn't considered.

And this is why I ask. I'll keep it in the valise.

Thanks,

Gary
      Gary Lee Bradford, Captain
      9th Kansas Regiment Volunteer Cavalry, Company F
      On patrol of the KS / MO border

[COLOR="#4B0082"]In honor of my great-great uncle, Pvt. Sidney J. Hatch, 7th Tennessee Cavalry (US), Co. D, who died Sept. 23, 1863, at the age of 21. .[/COLOR]

Comment

I picked up a three draw also and made a leather tube case too (wow,to scary) I carry my telescope either in the nosebag or when I know it is going to be used,I stuff it inside my jacket front. I agree that there can be to much stuff hung on one's person and saddle. As I am not an officer I guess I son't really need it , and don't often carry it, but it does come in real handy at times. plm
        Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Working...
        X