Using Warmbloods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Warmbloods

As I am a large rider, I'm considering getting a Cleveland Bay to possibly use in reenacting. Warmbloods, as you probably know, are heavier animals than light riding horses such as thoroughbreds and saddlebreds, but lighter than draft breeds. Is there any evidence that animals of this variety were used in the Civil War?
    Jim Whitley

Re: Using Warmbloods

Jim,
    Have you tried the search function for different discussion in the AC archives? I only suggest that because there were several threads I have read over the years concerning types of horses and many of the discussions got to the types of breeds during the war. Part of the discussion ultimately comes around to what people called horses during that time period. If memory serves me, and I would not count on exactly what I am saying cause it has been a while since I read those threads, but in general there were much fewer names for breeds of horse from the CW era. For instance, a "blood" horse meant several different breeds that we call today. Then the discussion comes down to "which" horse is correct and then you get an entirely different discussion. I am not familiar with a Cleveland Bay, but would suggest that you see if you can find some of those old threads cause they may help with your question.
    Rob Bruno
    1st MD Cav
    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I did, Rob. I'm less concerned with the particular breed of horse than with the type. I understand that a smaller-bodied horse like a thoroughbred or saddlebred is more historically accurate in general, but I'm 6'4" and 270 pounds, and hence am wondering if a stouter horse similar to a fox hunter would be totally unacceptable.
      Jim Whitley

Comment

Jim,
        The Cleveland Bay is an old breed in America (Washington had at least one) and is historically accurate for the period. If I'm not mistaken I believe that one of Grant's horses was also a Cleveland Bay. Rob is correct that breed terminology was different and much looser than todays standards, but that type of horse would be totally acceptable, so long as it is a solid color.

Take care,
        Tom Craig
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Tom Craig

Comment

Jim,
          That is good you were able to find those old threads. I think I misunderstood what you were looking for. I would support what Tom said. The biggest issue on the authentic side is not so much with the breeds but with the colors. Solid colors are the more correct. Although, there is this one cool picture of a guy riding either a paint or an appaloosa which always generates some discussion. But, I think that is the only picture people have been able to find with different color horse.
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Thanks very much Tom and Rob! Now the only issue is how to get a Mac saddle to fit something that size. Aren't they fairly narrow treed?
            Jim Whitley

Comment

Why do you believe that as a large man, you need a large horse? Smaller horses will pack you along just as well.
              Casey Mott

Comment

Jim,

Casey is right that there are plenty of smaller horses that will do fine. That said your experience with a Mac will depend entirely on what manner of tree you get. Some folks make a "wide" tree to fit "modern" horses. For my money if you use a tree that closely copies the dimensions of a period tree you will be just fine for most horses. If you've got a horse with a back the size of an aircraft carrier you might have to make other arrangement.
                Take care,
                Tom Craig
                1st Maine Cavalry
                Tom Craig

Comment

If you are looking for historical accuracy then a man of your stature would not of been in the cavalry, sorry.

Boot.
                  Nick S. Passey
                  Great Britain
                  B.G.R. and I.P.W. and Bummers survivor.

Comment

Working...
                  X