Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Cavalryman impression

Hello,
    I am new to the cavalry scene (although I did do artillery for 5 or 6 years) and I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of some carbines that would be accurate for a Virginia Cavalryman.
    Thanks,
    Cpl. Campbell
    Keegan Gregory Campbell

Re: Virginia Cavalryman impression

Hello,

Welcome to the AC. You're asking a pretty broad question, it honestly depends on the time and place and regiment you are portraying. But here are some long arms seen in various VA units:

Shotguns
    Enfield Rifle Muskets, Rifles, Carbines
    Richmond Carbines
    Sharps Carbines
    C.S. Sharps Carbines
    Spencer Carbines
    Smith Carbines
    Burnside Carbines
    Merrill Carbines
    Gallagher Carbines

And so on...honestly most types of cavalry long arms could be find serving one time or another in the ANV cavalry. It just depends on the situation.

Will MacDonald

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Specifically I am with the 9th Virginia Cavalry, circa 1863 around Gettysburg and the retreat following into the south.
      Thanks,
      Keegan Campbell
      Keegan Gregory Campbell

Comment

Keegan,
        Will makes a great point. The arms in general are so varied through out the war. It is an often argued point around the various campfires on which carbine was actually the most common. And I for one believe that each argument has its merit. So, I guess I would recommend focusing you research on a unit that you would like to portray in order to come up with a better carbine selection. I see that you you are looking for a VA cavalryman. Do you live in a particular area that fielded a cavalry unit? If you want to build that impression, that could help you narrow the field. Another common long arm was the Mississippi. But again, it depends on what you are trying to create.
        Rob Bruno
        1st MD Cav
        http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Late war cut down P-53 Enfield orally ID'd to William Lunsford, Co. A, 9th Va. Cav.
          Attached Files
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

From History of the Ninth Virginia Cavalry in the War Between the States, by Brig. General R. L. T. Beale (1899)
            April, 1862 – Three of the companies had been partly armed with inferior carbines and pistols by the counties in which they were raised; most of them were supplied with such sporting guns as could be collected by the officers from the people of the country.

September 5, 1862 – We had but a single squadron armed with carbines and these of inferior quality, while our foes were fully equipped and outnumbered us three to one.

From 9th Virginia Cavalry, of the Virginia Regimental History Series, by Robert Krick (1982), in the roster of Company H:
            ANDERSON, PETER: Enl. 6/11/62 in Co. H, as substitute for A.H. Jones. Charged for losing his Sharps carbine in action during 6/62. KIA at Brandy Station, 6/8/63. Soon thereafter, a special order came transferring him to C.S. Navy!

BURGESS, JAMES R.: Enl. 6/10/61 in Co. H. Detailed as courier for Genl. Jackson, June 1862; during the same period he was charged for losing a Sharp's carbine and a saber. Mortally wounded at Brandy Station, 6/9/63, died July 2nd.
            Last edited by Palmyra Possum; 06-05-2015, 05:40 PM.
            Eric Paape
            Because the world needs
            one more aging reenactor

Comment

Working...
            X