Authentic Original Richardson Saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Original Richardson Saddle?

I'm new here, obviously and my daddy informed me that the saddle he had given me that was my Big Mama's and have been riding in and that's my favorite saddle has a long history and is very unique. I was going to have some leather work done on it and he said, only a special leather expert with antique saddles could do it which I found odd because I ride in it and it's been well maintained but, I am listening to my daddy. So, can anyone help me out with information about my saddle and/or a leather expert?
    Thanks so much!
    Sherry Short;)

Re: Authentic Original Richardson Saddle?

Do you have any pictures of it? If it is a Richardson, it is a post war saddle.

Also, make sure you sign your full name to every post. You can create a signature in your profile so it automatically does it for you.
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

This is the help desk for issues with the site. I will move you post to the Cavalry area.
      Thank You,

Brent Dacus

The AC Admin
      The Company of Military Historians
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust

Are you reading? I still am...

Comment

OK, so I answered your post in another box, obviously I have no experience at this! So please bare with me. Yes, I do have pictures but, I can't get them to upload, can you help a neophyte out? I apologize about not having the signature on my first post, I think I have it correct now? Thanks again for your time.
        Sherry Short;)

Comment

Sherry:

Let's try this. Can you send me the photos by e-mail at etinohio@msn.com? I'm sure if we can get the photos up here, the cavalry boys would love to take a look.
          ERIC TIPTON
          Former AC Owner

Comment

Here you go Sherry!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	224718Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	224717Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	224716
            ERIC TIPTON
            Former AC Owner

Comment

Thank you so much, I really appreciate this! You have really been patient with me. This is my first time ever being on a site like this trying to get help from experienced people and I'm very grateful for your assistance!!
              Sherry Short;)

Comment

Thanks for posting these, Eric.

Yes, this looks to be a Richardson (oft called a Washington saddle). All of the Richardsons that I have been able to inspect have had that opening in the front of the seat, at the base of the pommel. This is definitely post-war and probably 1880's to turn of century.

As with countless other civilian based saddles of the pre and post war era this is loosely fashioned around the Morgan Muley style saddle as far as the tree pattern. Very nice saddle for one's collection.

regards,

Mark
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Can anyone give me a true to the era leather repair person or whatever they're called, not trying to be disrespectful, just don't know proper name for them. I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you guys so much for all of your help so far!! ;)
                  Sherry Short;)

Comment

I owned one of these for a brief period and then sold it to another collector. I wish I had it back.

Contact Karl Pepper at Glenn Pier Depot Saddlery.

His website is: http://www.glennpierdepot.us/

regards,
                    Mark
                    J. Mark Choate
                    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Ok, when you guys say "collector" are you saying this is an expensive saddle? Cause I love trail riding in it!! I have been riding in this saddle for 10 years and it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever had!!;)
                      Last edited by Massagemamabear; 06-20-2015, 06:56 PM.
                      Sherry Short;)

Comment

Working...
                      X