Problem With Guns Rusting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem With Guns Rusting

The "The Ordnance Manual for the Use of the Officers of the Confederate States Army" states "In the inspection of arms, officers should attend to the qualities essential to service, rather than a bright polish on the exterior of the arms." p. 188. I keep emory cloth away from my muskets. Instead I use 0000 steel wool and oil at home. That knocks off rust but does not damage the metal. The whole point is to get a patina on the barrel and bands. In the field olive oil and a wool rag.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
      Written by a soldier in the 9th Va. Inf on pickett duty in Suffolk, Va.

"My musket, my only friend, I have to keep dry consequently that gets the largest share of my blanket. "

Are you keeping your musket out of the weather at night?
      Echoing the excellent advice of Mr. Mayo and the solider of the 9th VA inf., bedding down with your piece at night goes a long way. I find this keeps my musket dry and free of surface rust in all but the worst weather.
      Dave Schwartz,
      Company B, 79th NY Vols.
      (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Schmidt View Post
        Hallo!

"Am I the only one wondering is some of the questions posted on here are serious? '

No.

However, "we" will err on the side of "No question is stupid." blended with helping Newcomers and Beginners on the road to "Authentic Campaigning" even when they make be Troll Posts posted for effect or really Newbie type questions.
        Unlike the Dark Ages of Times Past when previous incarnations of the AC "were not designed with the Beginner in mind" and some of the AC membership and Mod Staff were well known for keeping things on the "Hardcore/Authentic" end of the continuum to the point of heavy-handedness and ruthlessness.

In the era of the "Kindler, Gentler AC' and the following "Under New Management" postings are now encouraged and supported where previously they would have been hounded or publically and privately ridiculed to other Boards.

Curt
        I actually appreciate the advice (as a newbie). I may not have asked the question, but certainly had thought about it. I do have people in my unit to ask such questions of as well and have, but sometimes prefer this medium to get a broader spectrum of answers! Thanks for the advice!
        Michael Cairns

Comment

Hallo!

Brings back the Time when I was newer and had just done an event of two days in the rain with my new custom-built M1855 Type II Springfield RM.

I wiped it down and wiped it dry, then heavily sprayed it well with WD40... and put it in its fancy padded zipper case.

Two days I went to check on it, and pulled an oily peach fuzz textured, orange gun out of the case. Many hours of work to return it to armory bright/field maintained appearance!

(WD40 floats on water.)

:)

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have used in the field, both a slightly damp rag with wood ash or a charred piece of wood to remove the morning rust.
            Bruce Black

Comment

I have a period fix right here: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...81-Rottenstone
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmayo View Post
                Written by a soldier in the 9th Va. Inf on pickett duty in Suffolk, Va.

"My musket, my only friend, I have to keep dry consequently that gets the largest share of my blanket. "

Are you keeping your musket out of the weather at night?
                Worked for me as a regular soldier and holds true when reenacting - I also squeeze the sabre/scabbard in there :)

Kind regards,

Nibs
                Stephen Bennett
                Odense, Denmark
                Co. A, 2nd Colorado

Comment

"Echoing the excellent advice of Mr. Mayo and the solider of the 9th VA inf., bedding down with your piece at night goes a long way. I find this keeps my musket dry and free of surface rust in all but the worst weather."

A practice that's continued to this day for the Soldier in the field both on exercise and operations.
                  Kim Stewart

Comment

On Campaign: bacon grease!

Bill Sanders

Remember the "Stono Scouts"
                    William Sanders

Comment

Though non period correct, Ballistol is really good stuff. You can use full strength for preserving metal or cut it down with water to clean. It is non toxic and will not goober up wood or leather. Do wipe down periodically. I would assume they used whale oil in the Civil War. "Bear oil" rendered from bear fat would have been used back into colonial history as a gun care product and patch lube. You can buy it pre made and skip the bear killin part. I like Ballistol.
                      Last edited by C. Cash; 09-15-2022, 08:50 PM.
                      Chris Cash

Comment

Never discount the efficacy of fire ash to rake the rust off, either. It's not the first solution to the problem (that being oil), but it'll work in a pinch. I carry brick dust in a small tin, as well. Not everyone does.
                        Jacob "Ned" Nolan
                        Mess No. 1

Comment

Working...
                        X