Suggestions for Field-Cleaning Revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Field-Cleaning Revolvers

Is there a procedure for cleaning revolvers during an event? And what are the proper tools? I may be missing something, but I’m having a hard time finding detailed instructions for cleaning revolvers. Congdon’s Cavalry Compendium only mentions that they should be cleaned with warm water, dried and oiled, like the carbine. Most of the videos are on a workbench and for cleaning at home.
    Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

If you want to look authentic, you can make a hardwood cleaning rod & keep it in your pack or haversack. Rinse the cylinder and barrel with water and swap until clean, wipe everything dry and oil it. Wipe off any fouling you see on the frame & oil.

You should disassemble and clean the action periodically, depending on how often you fire it. Do this at home, as small pieces tend to disappear.
    Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

I tend to use a farby brass bristled brush on a rod to quickly clean cylinders and the barrel. What I have found though is that it is most important to clean to nipple and make sure the flash can still get through. I also like to loosen then retighten all my nipples to ensure none of the freeze or get too gunked.
      Taylor Izzard

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
        Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

Working...
        X