Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Nelson - Walking in the Footsteps of Ancestors - Amy Debord

pizap_1692281763366.png

The question arises quite frequently, "Why do we do this?" Spend the money, travel long distances, and wear clothes that can make us uncomfortable. One of the big reasons is found in the comments of Amy Debord who attended Camp Nelson National Monument's Living History event this weekend. The opportunity to walk in the footsteps of an ancestor. For Amy, walking in their steps 160 years later made this a very special weekend.

This past weekend was a very special experience for me as I was able to walk into the same gates that my ancestor came in 160 years earlier. As I walked through, I thought about the three-hour drive from our home in East Tennessee and the terrain that we crossed in our vehicle. The thought of having to cross the mountainous terrain on foot with just the belongings one could carry was nearly unfathomable. The experience created a range of emotions as I pondered what these refugees must have felt. They had left their homes, likely the only place they had ever known, walked approximately 150 miles, and arrived hoping that they would be afforded shelter and food.

Arriving at the gates of Camp Nelson and asking for refuge for myself and my fellow travelers, I was hoping that the military command would allow us to stay. My nerves were slightly calmed once the decision was made to provide us not only shelter but also food rations, cookware, and a little money to buy necessities from the camp sutler. I had been lucky enough to come across a man with newspapers on my way into camp. I assume it was my disheveled appearance that persuaded him to offer me a few of the papers. This proved to be such a gift as the military command allowed me to sell the newspapers to the soldiers that had a little money to spend.

My 4th great grandfather, Thomas J. Allen, mustered in at Camp Nelson on August 11, 1863. When he arrived, he was 26 years old and had left his wife, 5-year-old daughter, and infant son. Note the records of his service and the muster roll of arriving at Camp Nelson. He served as a private in the 8th Tennessee Infantry Regiment, Company A. This was an experience I will never forget.

Walking in the footsteps of my ancestors has created a human connection to the hobby that I love so much. The interactions with the military, park staff, and spectators only added to the experience. I am extremely grateful to everyone that attended and helped me to experience a piece of my past.
    Jason Brown
    Mess No. 1
Working...
X