• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin update from Dom

Send all responses to: armyofthepacific@yahoo.com

Gentlemen,

1. AoP website is now at:
    http://www.armyofthepacific.com
    The Franklin Link is being updated in the next few days.
    I will be working at updating the site over the next few weeks.

FYI the AoP Press website is:
    http://press.armyofthepacific.com
    Look for another sub-domain in the future.

2. FRANKLIN, TN; Oct. 1-3, 2004
    Current plans are for the AoP to field field a single battalion of 6-8 companies.
    Rations, Wagons, a sutler. Your living history ideas here.
    AoP Registration packet and forms will be prepared in the next couple of days,
    and will be posted ONLINE, and be sent by snail mail.

Register through the AoP. Yes, I know the deadline is June 30th, but I have made arrangements to register the AoP in bulk, as usual.
    You will be able to fill in the first half of the registration form online (the contact info, etc.).
    The second half, where you sign your name, as well as the appropriate fees, will be done the old fashioned way.

Guiding impression TBA.

Thanks for your patience.
    Dom
    AoP
    For the record, I'm not involved in helping Dom build this battalion so please don't contact me for more information. I've created this folder for the discussion of the event and posting this announcement as it seems an appropriate place for it.

I'm sure it'll be a great event.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Re: Franklin

Got the mailer from Dom last week.

Though it didn't list it, the web site has a list including my comrade Skulker Ken Irvin as one of those pegged for company commander

I think Ryan Meyer is going to be the kolor barer, I mean, color bearer....

John Pillers

:wink_smil
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Re: Franklin update from Dom

Talked to Joe Blunt last night and he will be Dom's Sgt Major. Lots of talent meeting up in Tennessee.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I cant seem to find the lists of who is where. I requested to be in Adam Cecils company but cant find any lists anywhere.

Mike Kirby//

Comment

"I cant seem to find the lists of who is where. I requested to be in Adam Cecils company but cant find any lists anywhere."

That's because there isn't one yet. Dom is probably still in the process of putting together the companies.

Hang tight, the order of battle will be up on the AoP site before too much longer.

Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          24th Missouri Infantry
          Independent Volunteer Battalion
          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Hey Lads,
            I was at the NSA meeting and event walk through this past weekend. The site looks good, see attached pictures.

It is anticipated for a minimal 250 man battalion.

We will be moving alot, a total of 4 engagements. 1 on Friday afternoon, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. The ground is fantastic, the trenches look good. Very few intrusions. The AoP will have their sutler there (ala TAG).

Dom asks that you get your registrations in as soon as you can, we are trying to get the rations set and cannot do so without a tangable number.

Crabby
            Chief of Staff AoP

Last edited by crabby; 08-03-2004, 09:06 AM. Reason: Trying to put thumbnails in
            Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
            John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Hi Crabby,

So where are the pics? I didn't see any attached.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Sorry, I could not get them to move from the folder they were in. I will send them when I get home tonite.

Crabby
                Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

Comment

Here are the pictures.

Crabby
                  Last edited by crabby; 01-20-2008, 02:41 PM.
                  Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

Comment

For those not on the AoP mailing list. Here is the latest message for the event. Should see a web update soon.

Crabby

Gentlemen:

REGISTER NOW (www.armyofthepacific.com/franklin).
                    If you are unsure/have payment issues, let me know asap.
                    Thanks. -d

I hope this note finds you well.

NORTH/SOUTH ALLIANCE MEETING (1st Federal Divison/1st Confederate Division)
                    July 31/Aug 1, Nashville TN
                    Last weekend, Chad Greene, John Crabb, Zack Ziarnek and I attended the N/SA
                    annual meeting.
                    The "1st Brigade" (ours) had the largest representation of the infantry
                    brigades.

The main topics of discussion were: "5-year plan" and The Franklin event in 2
                    MONTHS!
                    5-year Plan (N/SA Events):
                    2004: Franklin; 2005: Corinth, MS; 2006: ???; 2007: Mill Springs
                    KY....
                    OK, 3 out of 5.

Franklin Event (http://www.battleoffranklin.com/)
                    Talked about event, logistics, registration, etc.
                    Toured the site... even if you went to the event in '95 (and '97), it may be
                    difficult to recognize the place.

For this year's event, we will be camping/fighting on parts of original Spring
                    Hill Battle site, not just the ground behind Rippavilla, but on the ground
                    where heavier action occurred. The challenge behind this site is that we need
                    to march on/to the side of roadway to access this part of the site. This is
                    designated the "campaigner" campsite for friday night.

For the Franklin scenario, the works have been rotated 90-degrees from '95.
                    The Confederate approach is about 2000 yds. We wlalked up to the Federal works.
                    The first line is about 400 yards worth of trenches (the site coordinator says
                    he has 1300 yds of trenches total (3 scenarios)).
                    We have been assigned the Left of the line (to the left of the Pike), in front
                    of the Cotton Gin, and in support of Stones Battery and the section of the 6th
                    Ohio Battery. This is the area covered by the 100th Ohio, 104th Ohio and 65th
                    Indiana. A company of Henry Rifles was in the 65th Ind., so we will have the
                    ad-hoc Henry Rifle company with us.
                    We will have to improve the trenches on Saturday PM. So bring tools (captains:
                    a Division circular suggests 6+ shovels per company (!).
                    We have also arranged for a hand-to-hand scenario with one of the Confederate
                    battalions... we shall be issuing guidelines on such "combat" so as not to get
                    hurt. prisoners will be taken.

We will have a "campaigner camp" on Sat. evening as well.

The event is set up so that we will be pretty busy from Friday pm to Sunday AM.

SOME "1st Brigade" Specifics

1. REGISTER with the AOP now... (DO NOT REGISTER DIRECTLY WITH EVENT).
                    Go to: www.armyofthepacific.com/franklin
                    and click on the ONLINE SIGN-UP FORM...
                    You will still need to send in hard-copy of the form/release, and AoP
                    Registration Fees ($33).

If you have signed up online, and have not sent in your funds, please do so as
                    soon as practicable to complete the registration process. I pre-registered
                    places for 250. We are at about 80%, but can take more.

2. GUIDING IMPRESSION.
                    We have been assigned to portray the troops in front of the Cotton Gin... so we
                    will take this as our guide.
                    Looks like its gonna be the 104th OHIO... this was the center regiment of the
                    brigade at the Cotton Gin at Franklin. It got pushed back from its position,
                    and then, along with the reserve of the brigade, retook the works. More
                    specifics to follow... but does anyone have a dog that looks like "Old Harvey"?
                    While a "plain/average" unit tends to be guiding impressions, this regiment
                    captured 6 battle flags.

3. Henry Rifles
                    The ad-hoc Henry company has been assigned to our command.
                    I have been asked to appoint a company commander for this one-battle company.
                    Although I do not like like breaking up the companis, for the Franklin
                    scenario, those of you with Henry's, may want to pull them out. Please let me
                    know if you would like to do this.

Well, its nearly 2:00 am... i will end.... more to follow next week.

Take care,

dom
                    Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF

Comment

Re: Franklin update from Dom #2

Send Responses to: armyofthepacific@yahoo.com
                      =========================================
                      Sept. 1, 2004

Gentlemen:

I hope these few lines may find you well.

Last night I (hope) I was putting the last registrations into the computer for AoP for Franklin.

We are at 250+, about as many as predicted. In the next few days, companies will be set, finalized, balanced, etc. I will also be updating the webpage, posting/sending history of the 104th OVI, etc.

The event will be a challenging one... either constantly engaged, on the move somewhere, digging/reinforcing trenches, etc. Your patience and support in this event will help make it a better event for all.

Some things for now:

1. COMMISSARY
                      Due to circumstances, our staff is short this time; in addition, the battalion is larger than expected.
                      Any volunteers who would like to serve on the Commissary Staff, please contact me.

2. CHAPLAIN.
                      Currently, the chaplain position is open.

3. HORSES
                      We are still short on staff horses. If anyone has good rental horses/access to horses, please let me know.

4. COOK.
                      At this time, the is no cook for the officers (staff & company officers).
                      If you are interested in doing so, let me know.

5. CALIFORNIA AMMUNITION
                      I (Dom) will be in Huntington Beach sometime this weekend to pick up ammunition.
                      Bill Johnson (55th OVI) is registered to go, and I believe likely will be there.
                      Also, Dave Pleger (2nd Vt) will be holding ammo for others who are going.

6. OLD HARVEY
                      FYI, if anyone is thinking about bringing a dog ... "Old Harvey" of the 104th OVI, please clue me in, so that (1) I know, and (2) there won't be more than one "Old Harvey."

Thanks. More to follow.

Questions? Let me know.

dom
                      Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                      X