Campaigner Initiatives at Franklin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaigner Initiatives at Franklin

Some smart folks are working real hard to make the Franklin/Nashville 140th NSA event as accurate as possible. You have read about the moving campaigner camps (between each scenario), wagons, horse drawn artillery, attached cavalry and such. Now a bit more on one of the battle scenarios - Saturday afternoon and evening's Battle of Franklin.

The AoP and Red River Battalion, representing the 104th Ohio and 6th/15th Texas Consolidated (part of Granbury's Brigade under Mark Griffin) will collide in front of the Cotton Gin. The 104th OVI was pushed out of the works along with the other regiments of the brigade but retook them with reinforcements. Prisoners were taken on both sides and casualties were huge, with losses in Granbury's Brigade of nearly 60% of those engaged. As Crabby relates in another thread in here, Dom will also have a Henry Rifle equipped company (as the 65th IN actually had) so you know the noise level will be pretty high around the Cotton Gin.

Carefully scripted hand to hand combat will take place, as well as capture of prisoners on both sides. In the 6th/15th Texas, fates will be issued that include captured along with wounded or killed (including wounded/captured). If an Ohioan captured, plans are that you will spend the night in the hands of the remnants of Hood's army. If a captured Texan, plans are that you will march with them on to Nashville, sans weapon and accouterments. The next morning, prisoners will be released back to their commands. Those left in the works still fighting will be at it after dark Saturday evening in another carefully scripted scenario including casualty removal by stretcher bearers.

Needless to say, this kind of opportunity does not come along every event and is just another example of what the commanders and organizers in the NSA are planning. We need more federals, so you eastern campaigners take advantage of this opportunity, throw your stuff in the back of a van with 4-5 soldiers in front and drive to Tennessee to join the 104th Ohio under Dom.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Campaigner Initiatives at Franklin

Doug,that sounds like it will be cool as hell-o,but what about kia's?What will happen to them?I plan on dieing for the Franklin fight,so what will happen to those?
    Also,where can I find info online about the 6/15th TX?I am needed info.
    Cullen Smith
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

If you are KIA you will probably just lay there...really. If the weather is good plan on rolling over and watching the stars :) Seriously, casualty removal may include the dead as well - details still being worked out there. We are camping on the field that night, those of us not captured or dragged off by the bearers. As I understand it, there will be no bugle call and taps at the end of this one, but again, more detail via the NSA forum and Franklin website is forthcoming.

For a look at all things Franklin and the 6th/15th Texas, check out this link file by Mark "Silas" Tackitt: www.zipcon.net/~silas/franklinlinks.htm
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

Comment

Doug, Ya'all missed a few more tidbits of information. There shall be period correct rations issue for the Red River Battalion, a horse drawn sutler, drawing of names of actual men who served with the 6th/15th Texas to help with the first person. The 6th Texas has a black frock coated preacher who besides giving a good period sermon wanders the battlefield with the drummer boys tending for the wounded.
        If ya'all would like a brief history of the 6th Texas go to 6thtx.org and scroll down on the main page.
        Dusty Lind
        Running Discharge Mess
        Texas Rifles
        BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Hey Dusty,

You mentioned that the Red River Batt is doing rations. I sent the check to someone else the other day that was mentioned on this site. Is that going to be heading your way. Or do I need to stop it.
          Thanks
          Daniel MacInnis
          Adair Guards
          Commonwealth Grays
          [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo Guard
            Doug, Ya'all missed a few more tidbits of information. There shall be period correct rations issue for the Red River Battalion, a horse drawn sutler, drawing of names of actual men who served with the 6th/15th Texas to help with the first person. The 6th Texas has a black frock coated preacher who besides giving a good period sermon wanders the battlefield with the drummer boys tending for the wounded.
            If ya'all would like a brief history of the 6th Texas go to 6thtx.org and scroll down on the main page.
            The 26th NCT will be there too (portraying Texans from Jack King's division of course). As a black frock coated preacher who is always looking to better my impression, is there any way to get a hold of your black frock coated preacher to pick his brain about period sermons and such? Thanks.
            Jason Constantine
            Chaplain, 26th North Carolina

Comment

The AoP will be issuing rations, in the usual manner. Period sutler, and wagon (s) too. It requires registering through the AoP web site.

Crabby
              AoP
              Chief of Staff/QM
              The "Crabby" of "Crabby's Kids"
              Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
              John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

The black coated preacher we have warns the men of the horrors of war and how to make peace before the battle. He is a former minister for a MASH Unit in Vietnam, so he has seen and lived through what he preaches.
                As far as the second question about rations within the 6th/15th Texas, contact your company commander. For other units not within the Red River Battalion I havent a clue.
                Dusty Lind
                Running Discharge Mess
                Texas Rifles
                BGR Survivor

Comment

Doug,

You stated..."Carefully scripted hand to hand combat will take place, as well as capture of prisoners on both sides."

When will we be scripiting this action? Will we get both sides together during some down time prior to the battle to choreograph this?

regards,
                  Jim Butler
                  The SRR
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Jim - Dom and Fred are working on that as we speak. Stand by!
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

Comment

The Red River Battalion has a two day muster in September. One of the things we shall be doing is going over the does and donts of these subjects.
                      Safety is paramount to our organization. We also want to ensure we dont look like the History Channels "Civil War Combat" Series.
                      I encourage any one who shall be falling in with the Red River Battalion to attend this muster in Mexia Texas the weekend of Sept 11th.
                      Dusty Lind
                      Running Discharge Mess
                      Texas Rifles
                      BGR Survivor

Comment

For other units not within the Red River Battalion I havent a clue.
                        Dusty's predictions apply only to the Red River Battalion at this time. So far in the other two battalions of the Mississippi Valley Brigade, there are no similar preparations or organization.
                        Tom Ezell

Comment

In looking at the schedule of events by the First Confederate Division it looks like we may all be in for quite a fight. I haven't heard about this from any other sources though. Does anyone know if this real time battle is going to happen?

Link: http://www.nsalliance.org/schedule-bof-csa.pdf
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                          [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Steve - not sure what you mean here - are you talking about the Franklin battle? If so, see the beaucoup info on here and on the NSA website.
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

Comment

Sometimes its the small stuff that counts. Our company recently had a company drill and discussed the small things we could do to improve ourselves. One suggestion was to discard such things as cards, dirty pictures, dice and such before going into battle. (we have made arrangements after the troops have passed to have it cleaned up though).
                              Another beside the customary prayer before battle, was to pass on messages to one another in case one should not return from battle.
                              We also discussed the proper way to take hits and try to avoid the hollywood stereotypes you see so often.
                              I have not seen such vigor for an event in a long long time. It should be a real hoot.
                              Dusty Lind
                              Running Discharge Mess
                              Texas Rifles
                              BGR Survivor

Comment

Working...
                              X