104th OVI Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 104th OVI Info

Here is some research I have transcribed for the 104th OVI at Franklin. Please click on the link to view:

Picture of Old Harvey can be viewed at:

I hope this is of help.

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    The SRR
    Jim Butler

Re: 104th OVI Info

Good article. Thank you for posting it. If anyone's interested, I can post some National Tribune articles written by 104th veterans about Franklin.

In addition to Harvey, the 104th had two other dogs: Teaser and Colonel. I've not seen any pictures of them, though, but I suspect that they were mutts, too. Harvey's tag read, "I am Lieutenant D.N. Stearns' dog. Whose dog are you?"
    James Brenner

Comment

This is some stuff that I found in the Official Records. I was was looking for information trying to see when the 104th might have been refitted and etc. Also thought the corps badges order pretty interesting.

Chris Clements

SPECIAL FIELD ORDERS,
      HDQRS. ARMY OF THE OHIO, Numbers 121.
      Decatur, Ga., September 25, 1864.

II. To establish uniformity in the proportions of the badge of the corps the following rule in regard to the same is published to the command: The badge of the Twenty-third Corps is an escutcheon in ofmr of the heraldic shield, all of whose proportions are determined by the width, as follows: The sides of the shield are straight from the top for the distance of one-fourth of width of the shield. Each curved side is struck with the center at the lower point of the straight part of the opposite side and with a radius equal to the width of the shield, the length of the shield being determined by the intersection of the circular curves so struck. The smaller curves at the top of the shield are struck witha radius equal to one-half the width of the sheild. The badge to be worn by the enlisted men will be an inch and a quarter in width, and for the divisiosn now in the field will be made of white cloth for the Second Division and blue for the Third Division, from material procured by Lieutenant Colonel J. F. Boyd, chief quartermaster, under Special Field Orders, Numbers 19, current series, from ehsese headquarters. Lieutenant-Colonel Boyd will cause the badges to be cut and distrubuted to the command. The flags of the corps are as follows: For corps heaquarters, a blue glag with a shield in the center, o fthe form above prescribed; the body of the shield divided into three panels, one panel at each principal angle of the shield; the upper left-hand panel red, the upper right-hand panel white, the lower panel blue, the whole surreounded by a golden outline one-twelfth as wide as the shield. For headquarters Second Division, the whole of the interior of the shield white, otherwise the same as the corps flag. For headquarters Third Division, the whole of the interior of thge shield blue, otherwisd the same as the corps flag. For brigade headquarters, a flag similar to the division flag, but with smaller shield salong the inner margin corresponding in numbe rto the numbe rof the brigbade, the artillery will wear the badge of the division two hcih the different batteries are respectively attached.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************************

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
      In the Field, Rome, Ga., October 31, 1864.

General EASTON,

Atlanta, Ga.:

Make arrangements to move the Twenty-THIRD Corps, General Schofield's, from Resaca to Nashville in cars empty.

W. T. SHERMAN,

Major-General.

34 R R-VOL XXXIX, PT III

ATLANTA, October 31, 1864.

Major-General SHERMAN:

Your dispatch received. It will take more than one-half the available cars between here and Chattanooga to move the Twenty- THIRD Corps. The removal of stores to the rear will have to stop in a great measures. The railroad has been open but two days. Much has been done, but there is still more to do than can be done in seven days, with the usual rate of accidents. If the Twenty-THIRD Corps move by cars it will take eleven days to complete everything. We still require some hundreds of cars of stores to complete your supplies and outfit. Under the circumstances, shall cars be sent at once to move the Twenty-THIRD Corps? Answer.

L. C. EASTON.

A. BECKWITH.

General EASTON,

Chief Quartermaster, Atlanta, Ga.:

Your telegram received. All must move in four of five days. What supplies can't be got we must do without, and what material can't be moved will be destroyed. Cars should be sent Genera Schofield from the north. Will draw clothing at Atlanta.
      W. T. SHERMAN,

Major-General.

General EASTON, Atlanta, Ga.:

It is important that you give all force possible to the preparations for the move as directed, as it may be that we depart before you can complete them, even with the greatest haste. The general desires great activity both from you and Colonel Beckwith.

L. M. DAYTON,

Aide-de-Camp.

HDQRS. MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI, In the Field, Rome, Ga., October 31, 1864.

Colonel BECKWITH, Atlanta, Ga.:

Push the matters of preparations as much as possible; it may become necessary to move before they are completed.

L. M. DAYTON,
      Aide-de-Camp.
      Chris Clements

Comment

Here are some clues about the what the 104th might have been wearing and issued during the months preceding Franklin:

Whenever the unit mustered for pay, the regimental commander was required to address the state of his unit in several areas on the back of the muster rolls: discipline, instruction, military appearance, arms, accouterments, and clothing. In Oct 1864, COL Sterl assessed the 104th's status in accouterments as "poor" and in clothing, "fair". In December, he stated that accouterments were "good" and clothing was "tolerable".

If you have a copy of Echoes of Glory (Strayer and Baumgarner), page 13 shows an image of Christopher Marsh, Company H, 104th, attired in full marching order: sack coat, wide-brimmed hat, etc. The date of the photo is January 1864.

I have a copy of an image of Company I, 104th, taken in Cleveland, TN, on/about 1 May 1864. Of the 47 soldiers shown, there are 17 roundabouts, 4 sack coats, and 4 frocks. It's not possible to say what the boys in the back row have on. The other thing that's interesting in the photo is that every single one is wearing a forage cap.

In the Western Reserve Historical Society collection is a notebook kept by David Bard, the commander of Company I. In June 1864, he notes receiving a partial issue of 2 forage caps, 7 blouses unlined, 7 shirts flannel, 24 pair shoes, 16 pair socks, 5 pair drawers, and 30 knapsacks. On 31 July, he notes another partial issue of 15 hats, 51 trousers, 18 blouses lined, 22 shirts flannel, 10 pair shoes, 40 socks, 4 drawers (cotton flannel), 1 haversack, 10 canteens, 6 rubber ponchos, and 1/2 shelter tent. That's his last entry.

As a final note, there's an article in the 22 November 1888 issue of the National Tribune entitled, "At the Cotton-gin". Nelson Pinney, author of History of the 104th Regiment, wrote the article in response to one written by a member of the 125th OVI. Anyway, Pinney wrote, "Again, the 104th was an older regiment than Comrade Rice's own brave 125th, and had seen as hard fighting and had done as good service; that a white shirt could not have been found in the 104th, and that most of the blue-grey ones they did wear had done duty since April ..."

Based on all of this, it appears that some roundabouts, lined and unlined sacks, a few frocks, forage caps, and slouches are all appropriate for Franklin. About the only item with any degree of commonality seems to be the flannel shirts.

I hope this helps.
        James Brenner

Comment

Quick correction ... The reference fon Marsh should be Echoes of BATTLE, the Atlanta Campaign, not Echoes of Glory. Sorry for any confusion.
          James Brenner

Comment

More 104th OVI Info

More Quotes from Wiley Sword’s “The Confederacy’s Last Hurrah”
            regarding the 104th OVI at Franklin

Nov, 30th 1864 at the Carter House Cotton Gin at Franklin before the battle:

“The bright, sun-drenched afternoon hours of November 30th were like a summer day, yet misty with the mellow haze of autumn, wrote a Union Captain.”…

“Within the ranks of the 104th Ohio, positioned near the cotton gin, the men had gathered bundles of raw cotton and fashioned pillows and mattresses of the white fiber to sleep on.”

“Many of the men were hungry, and the odor of frying pork, boiling coffee, and steaming flapjacks wafted throughout the bivouac area. One corporal sat on a log and devoured a hearty mea of ‘slapjacks and molasses, coffee and bacon.’ Later he would remember that it ,was ‘the last square meal’ he ate for more than three months”

Nov 30th 1864 near the end of the Battle of Franklin at the Cotton Gin, main, trenches after Rosseau’s counterattack:

“Within the Confederate ranks along the outer ditch at the cotton gin the situation seemed beyond endurance. To further add to their plight, many Rebel soldiers had exhausted their ammunition. In order to keep firing, they had to rummage among the dead bodies for cartridges. Their firing noticeably waned, and with corresponding decrease in the Federal fire, a brief opportunity existed to escape the deadly inferno.
            As the clouds of obscuring smoke slowly dissipated, a soldier of the 104th Ohio observed rags, hats, and all manner of apparel stuck on the ends of bayonets, poking above the parapet from the outside ditch. ‘For God’s sake,’ came the cries from the Confederate ditch, ‘don’t shoot…we’ll give up and come in.’ Encouraged to surrender-‘Drop your guns and climb over,’ yelled some of Cox’s men-and exhausted, bewildered, throng of about 300 Rebels were soon being herded to the rear as prisoners. Among their number was Brigadier General George W. Gordon, who had been psychologically devastated by the fierce enfilade fire.”

Nov 30th 1864 after the Battle of Franklin. Reconnaissance patrols over the front of the Federal works at Franklin:

“Twice he [Emerson Opdyke] went beyond the works at the Columbia Pike ‘to see the effect of such fighting.’ He reported, ‘I never saw the dead lay near so thick.’ A reconnaissance patrol from the 104th Ohio found sights and sounds ‘enough to shock a heart of stone…The air seemed close and the smell of blood was everywhere.’ Piles of enemy soldiers carpeted the ground, and the pleas for mercy were pitiful. One man repeatedly gasped in distress ‘Help me, I am the only son of a widow [masonic plea].’ Across a 400 yard front the patrol could hardly move ‘without stepping on dead and wounded men.’ Even more ghastly, the ground, they saw, ‘was a perfect slop’-pools of blood had turned the earth into slippery red mud. Their reconnaissance discovered no enemy in front except the fallen, and the patrol promptly returned to report their findings.”

Dec 1st 1864 as Schofield’s Army marches into Nashville:

“During the late morning of December 1st there was a proud and emotional entry of Schofield’s army within the Nashville lines. Past the onlooking ranks of Thomas’s garrison troops marched the veterans of Franklin, their captured flags at the head of each regiment. In the 104th Ohio eleven captured banners were vividly displayed.”
            Jim Butler

Comment

If you have not done so, you might want to check (or ask someone in the Washington DC area) to check Summary Statements of Quarterly Returns of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores on Hand in Regular and Volunteer Army Organizations, 1862–1867, 1870–1876 (National Archives Microfilm Publication M1281) for 3rd Quarter 1864 (ending 30 September) and 4th Quarter (ending 31 December) 1864. The entries for the 104th OVI should tell you precisely what types of arms were in each company as well as numbers of accoutrements, bayonets, and ammunition on-hand.

I checked a number of units while at the National Archives a few months back and the results were rather surprising. In the case of the 84th Indiana (also at Franklin), the 3rd Quarter returns indicate it was armed with Enfields along with a "sprinkling" of Springfields.

The troops were generally well-accoutered although cartridge box plates were, with the exceptions of companies A and F, quite rare. All those fancy "gun tools" everybody carries today in their boxes were all but nonexistent; only companies C, E, and K listed sizeable numbers of tompions. Strangely, for this late in the war, companies A, C, and K still had NCO swords on-hand. "Bayonets" were not specifically listed but "bayonet scabbards" were: most companies showed a more-or-less "one-for-one" ratio (some actually have a surplus) but companies C and I showed significant (roughly 30-40%) shortfalls in scabbards. Go figure.

However, the returns for 31 December 1864 are stunning in that they show an 180 degree reversal in the arms carried by the 84th IVI. Instead of Enfields (including 1 "short Enfield"!), the vast majority (about 2/3) of troops now carried Springfields. This suggests a major reissue of arms probably due to combat losses as well as good old "wear and tear."

It should be interesting to see the figures for the 104th OVI as well.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Last edited by markj; 08-22-2004, 10:16 PM.
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I'll post a complete listing later this evening, but, based on the 4th Quarter, 1864 Returns, the 104th had 409 Enfields and 59 Springfields of various models, including 4 in regimental stores. Company C still has 5 NCO swords. There are only 10 ball screws listed for the entire regiment. Company A ,Company C , and Company H have 90, 51, and 26 tompions respectively, but none of the other companies have more than 9. All have just about a 1:1 match with cartridge boxes and cartridge box plates, but there are some exceptions.
                James Brenner

Comment

Originally posted by James Brenner
                  I'll post a complete listing later this evening, but, based on the 4th Quarter, 1864 Returns, the 104th had 409 Enfields and 59 Springfields of various models, including 4 in regimental stores. Company C still has 5 NCO swords. There are only 10 ball screws listed for the entire regiment. Company A ,Company C , and Company H have 90, 51, and 26 tompions respectively, but none of the other companies have more than 9. All have just about a 1:1 match with cartridge boxes and cartridge box plates, but there are some exceptions.
                  Hi Jim,

Intriguing. I saw similar trends while going through the returns of Indiana regiments. A number of units were uniformly issued with Enfields, for example, but increasing numbers of Springfields began to appear on the books as the war progressed. This suggests a number of possibilities. Among them are:

1) Replacement arms filtering in due to battle losses, negligence, desertion, etc., or unserviceability due to field wear and tear. There doesn't seem to have been too much concern about WHAT type of rifle was issued so long as it was serviceable and could fire the same ammunition as other rifles in a regiment.

2) Arrivals of recruits/transfers armed with different types of weapons. This was true, for example, in the case of the 32nd (German) Indiana, which used Enfields for most of its service. When the "Three Years" regiment mustered out in Sep 64, the veterans and recruits who remained in service were augmented by other recruits, or even draftees, who, from all appearances, were uniformly armed with Springfields. This certainly would have happened in a big way when similar consolidations took place among Indiana regiments in the summer and fall of 1864 (e.g., vets and recruits of the 10th Indiana transferred to the 58th Indiana, etc.).

Your comment about NCO swords was salient as well. The general trend for NCO swords among Indiana regiments was surprising to me in that most of them retained significant numbers of these well into 3rd Quarter 1863; indeed, some regiments still reported nearly complete complements of them even after the heavy campaigning of Summer 1863. I have attached a document you, and other list members, will likely enjoy regarding this subject.

I'll see if I can dig up my notes for Emerson Opdycke's 125th Ohio. That regiment was uniformly armed with Springfields and, as I recall, also reported NCO swords on hand around the time of the Franklin engagment.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                  Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

It really is amazing how complete a picture a person can get from the various bits of information that are out there...

Here's the Summary of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores for the 104th OVI during the last quarter of 1864. I rather doubt that these Returns actually reflect the unit's condition as of 31 December, 1864. I imagine that each company submitted its Returns on different days (weeks?) and each company most likely varied in its attention to detail. But, taken in conjunction with the Returns from the 3rd Quarter, 1864, I suspect that they're a pretty good indication of the state of the regiment during the Battle of Franklin.

I don't have the regiment's exact Present for Duty strength immediately available, but it's about 480.

Rather than list each company separately, I've totaled up the numbers for the regiment: what's in the hands of the soldiers and what's in the stores.

Springfields: 59 on hand and 4 in stores. (59/4)
                    Enfields: 409/0
                    NCO Swords: 15/0
                    Bayonet Scabbards: 463/12
                    Cap pouches and cone picks: 428/1
                    Cartridge Boxes: 489/4
                    Cartridge Box Plates: 500/3
                    Cartridge Box Belts: 254/6
                    Cartridge Box Belt Plates: 251/0
                    Gun Slings: 480/0
                    NCO Belts: 0/0
                    NCO Belt Plates: 0/0
                    Waist Belt, Privates: 433/7
                    Waist Belt Plate, Privates: 499/8
                    Ball Screws: 20/30
                    Cones, spare: 2/800
                    Screw drivers/cone wrenches: 51/35
                    Spring Vises: 6/0
                    Tompions: 187/0
                    Tumbler/Band Spring Punch: 0/0
                    Wipers: 27/0
                    Cartridges: 12,658/0
                    Caps, Percussion: 3,083/10,000

There are, I think, a couple of interesting insights from these Returns. For example, Companies B, C, D, G, and I had a combined total of 30 cartridge box belts. This suggests that most soldiers in these companies wore their cartridge boxes on their waist belts. Additionally, there seems to be almost a one to one ratio between the number of gun slings and the number of muskets.

I hope that this information helps. If anyone's interested in the detail fro a specific company, please ask.

Jim
                    James Brenner

Comment

Jim,

That is some great stuff. Great job on the research! If anyone has the access I suggest they check out the regimental records (I think it is RG 20 or 24) at the National Archives, they use to be held at the one in downtown D.C. anyway within those books you will find the general orders that were put out by the regiment (this covers everything from hygiene, daily schedule, to what to carry in the soldiers knapsacks, and I have also seen a lot of list of individual soldiers buying uniforms from the QM. There is some really great stuff in there and I am sure that there would be some big time orders being sent out when the regiment moved from Atlanta to Franklin. The only problem with the books is that the GO's and other information is typically not organized in any way so you will have to go through the entire books (s) usually there are several. I believe the National archives also has the regimental papers which will include all the morning reports and pay muster roles ect. but you will also find letters and passes and all kinds of stuff. I wish I was there to help.

Ryan Meyer
                      Skulkers Mess

Originally posted by James Brenner
                      It really is amazing how complete a picture a person can get from the various bits of information that are out there...

Here's the Summary of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores for the 104th OVI during the last quarter of 1864. I rather doubt that these Returns actually reflect the unit's condition as of 31 December, 1864. I imagine that each company submitted its Returns on different days (weeks?) and each company most likely varied in its attention to detail. But, taken in conjunction with the Returns from the 3rd Quarter, 1864, I suspect that they're a pretty good indication of the state of the regiment during the Battle of Franklin.

I don't have the regiment's exact Present for Duty strength immediately available, but it's about 480.

Rather than list each company separately, I've totaled up the numbers for the regiment: what's in the hands of the soldiers and what's in the stores.

Springfields: 59 on hand and 4 in stores. (59/4)
                      Enfields: 409/0
                      NCO Swords: 15/0
                      Bayonet Scabbards: 463/12
                      Cap pouches and cone picks: 428/1
                      Cartridge Boxes: 489/4
                      Cartridge Box Plates: 500/3
                      Cartridge Box Belts: 254/6
                      Cartridge Box Belt Plates: 251/0
                      Gun Slings: 480/0
                      NCO Belts: 0/0
                      NCO Belt Plates: 0/0
                      Waist Belt, Privates: 433/7
                      Waist Belt Plate, Privates: 499/8
                      Ball Screws: 20/30
                      Cones, spare: 2/800
                      Screw drivers/cone wrenches: 51/35
                      Spring Vises: 6/0
                      Tompions: 187/0
                      Tumbler/Band Spring Punch: 0/0
                      Wipers: 27/0
                      Cartridges: 12,658/0
                      Caps, Percussion: 3,083/10,000

There are, I think, a couple of interesting insights from these Returns. For example, Companies B, C, D, G, and I had a combined total of 30 cartridge box belts. This suggests that most soldiers in these companies wore their cartridge boxes on their waist belts. Additionally, there seems to be almost a one to one ratio between the number of gun slings and the number of muskets.

I hope that this information helps. If anyone's interested in the detail fro a specific company, please ask.

Jim
                      Ryan Meyer
                      Skulker's Mess (Germany)
                      Keeper of that BOX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thank you. RG 94 has the 104th's Order Books. The books aren't complete at the Archives, but those that do exist are very interesting. In addition to the things mentioned above, they also include the daily routine, what we now refer to as a training schedule. I'll post one tonight.

Jim
                        James Brenner

Comment

It turns out that I don't have a schedule from 1864, but the following letter pretty well sums up a typical day in camp. This extract is from the book, Burning Rails as We Pleased, The Civil War Letters of William Garrigues Bentley, 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Barbara Bentley Smith and Nina Bentley Baker, eds., McFarland and Company: Jefferson, NC, 2004. ISBN0-7864-1659-9.

March 31st 1864:

Maybe thee will be interested in an account of the manner that we spend our time in camp ... Today is a pretty good sample - I was waked out of a sound nap at 5 1/2 o'ck by the drummers call, pulled on my boots & got my traps on, said traps consisting of cartridge box, haversack and rifle. Fell into line for roll call and after the roll call is called by the Orderly Sergt. open ranks and the Lt. inspects every gun and cartridge box then drill for a few minutes in the Manual of Arms, then break ranks and get breakfast. Which means in this case, a dish of fried crackers with gravy made of flour and water with a cup of strong coffee, not a bad meal when you get used to it. After breakfast comes Policing (cleaning up). Then Guard Mounting at 8 1/2 o'ck that takes 3 men from a Co. each day and I wasn't one of them this morning. Then we are off duty till 10 o'ck when we have Co. drill for 1/4 hour, after this we have nothing to do till 12 p.m. when we have roll call again, then eat dinner. By the way I had a rare dish for dinner today viz. Oyster soup. I bought a can of cove oysters for only $2.00 which made me an excellent dinner and I have some left for breakfast. This is pretty expensive you will think, but it don't happen more than once a year, for we can't get them often. At 2 o'ck we went on Battalion drill, lasting till 4 o'ck when we came in and brushed up for Dress Parade which came off at 3 1/2 o'ck [Note: probably a typo] I can't tell you how it appears but it is a pretty sight to anyone who has never seen a Parade. After it is over we get supper, fried crackers. I have just finished a plateful of them with sugar ...

When Bentley wrote this letter, the 104th was in camp near Mossy Creek, TN.

One of the many things that's interesting about this letter is the amount of down time the soldiers had. Also, it appears that this letter is at odds with most orders that proscribe a unit's daily routine.

Jim
                          James Brenner

Comment

Working...
                          X