X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Cancellation

Folks,

I'm not affiliated with the 2004 rendition an any way, other than being in the event neighborhood, but for the sake of those individuals who may be sending in registration, or those who haven't yet purchased an expensive and potentially nonrefundable airline ticket, here's what appears to be a legit cancellation of the 2004 Burkittsville event. I must have had 20 inquires about this event while at another event this past weekend, so evidently the interest is there, but those interested weren't able to find the commo.

================================================== ====

"E-MAIL FROM JAMES OWENS
    Subject: Engagement at Burkittsville Postponed
    Date: 7/19/2004 5:28:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time

This is to announce that the Engagement at Burkittsville event, scheduled for September 10-12, had been postponed until September 9-11, 2005. Everyone who has registered will have their check returned or money refunded.

The major reasons for this postponement were several. As of yesterday, there were only 168 registered participants. 1/3rd of that number were civilians. In addition, our insurance company would not quote us a price on insurance until the end of this month, although we estimated it to be roughly what was paid in 2001. Along with insurance there several other fixed and estimated cost that were going to take up a great deal of money.

Based on the rate registrations were being received, it was felt that there would not be sufficient money to pay the expenses of the event, or sufficient time to make arrangements for a scaled back event. The consensus among the committee was that based on the resources at hand, we would not be able to put on a quality event for either the participants or the visiting public.

Despite the event being postponed there will be living history programs at South Mountain State Battlefield the weekend of September 11-12. These programs offer a chance to do living history on unique sites associated with the battle of South Mountain. Anyone interested in volunteering for this program should contact Assistant Manager Al Preston at AApreston1@aol.com or (301) 432-0452.

If anyone has questions on the Burkittsville event, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely

James Owens"

================================================== =====

Since this information was also confirmed by Kevin O'Beirne and Chris Anders in separate emails, it appears to be legit. I apologize for overstepping any "bounds," but the silence has been deafening, and participants do deserve some consideration.

Charles Heath
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: Event Cancellation

I received the e-mail posted above on 7/19 and forwarded via e-mail to all members of the Columbia Rifles. All I know is what James Owens provided in the text of the e-mail. For any further info I suggest contacting James and the event organizers directly.

Comment

Charles

I didn't register yet, but was going to do so today.

Was also planning to take one of those valuably vacation days. Not to mention those rare kitchen passes from the little lady.

Thanks for the info Charles

Harry Connelley

Comment

Moved to '05

I can confirm that information and clarify that the stated '05 date isn't firm as we are investigating for possible conflicts. It may likely be the week before or after the one stated - stay tuned.

Burkittsville is an important event, especially for the civillians who seldom have the opportunities this event affords them. If it is going to be done, it ought to be done well and in a manner worth while for all involved; playing it too close to the line is not condusive to that end - that's what the planning committee's decision represents.

So register early and register often!
        Gerald Todd
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Charles, thanks for the information. It is a policy here, however, to only post information about "the event" originating from the organizers. While Gerald is listed as the cavalry contact on the announcement, I have an email to James Owens outstanding. When I receive an answer from him, I will post it here. Until then, I am closing this thread.
          Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
          X