Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning

Fellers,

I know it has been most unpleasant up at the North land and you have probably not felt much like getting out and exercising. Nonetheless, let me encourage all of you to start ( if you have not done so already ) getting out and moving. Walk a mile or two and then extend it out to 3 or 4 as quick as you can. We'll be active and mobile. We want no one to go down due to fatigue or other more serious causes. It's past time to get in shape. It'd be a shame to wait all this time and not be in condition to experience the event. These early season events usually have a way of slipping up on us, so let's not be taken by surprised. Start dropping the soft drinks and beer and drink water starting now. Drop the high carb/sugar/salt snacks. Let's get ready!!
    David Culberson
    The Rowdy Pards

Re: Conditioning

I agree 100%! My hubby and I have a real nice trail close to where we live and walk 6 miles in a little under 2 hours. It sure came in handy when we were at LBL. When unable to get out and walk I resort to my treadmill where I have just reached 2 miles in under 40 minutes. I do hope to take off some weight and get as fit as I can to handle and enjoy future events.
    Augusta Carr Scarbrough
    Preservation not Profit
    CWPT,Museum of the Confederacy,SWCW and co-ordinator of volunteers for Ft Negley

Comment

Exercise or movement certainly plays the biggest part in conditioning, but alot can be achieved through some simple dietary changes as well. Cut back on the beer. Take a pass on the chips. Give up the sodas. Especially a week or so out from the event, start to pound down the water. It cleans the system, helps with weight loss, and gets your body adjusted to what it will take in during the event.

We have far too many 'cores who go down within the first mile or two of a march scenario. While a good material impression is much to be desired, it does you little good if your moment is interrupted by the presence of a "sag wagon." And the really bad news is there will be none at Into the Wilderness. The silver lining may be your capture, but if you are a prisoner and aren't able to march, God knows what your captors may do to you.
      David Culberson
      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Don't wait for the week before an event to make sure you're hydrated--get this going NOW. It takes time for the body to adjust to greater hydration, and you want the bladder to be able to hack it--and, sudden gusts of water can mess up the electrolyte levels of the body, so it is best to do a slow, gradual increase, and then just sustain the hydration level all year round. Your kidneys will thank you.

Did you know, for "adequate" hydration, the average person should be taking in 1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds of body weight, daily? For many, that's more than the "recommended 6-8 glasses of water per day." That means my 250lb, 6'2" hubby needs to be getting real close to 2 gallons of water per day... and more if he's working hard. And, caffeinated drinks, black tea, soda, etc don't count toward hydration.

In hard labor situations, or high-activity situation, or for pregnant/nursing mothers (NOT the majority of soldiers, I know :) ), the hydration needs increase.

Starting now is a good suggestion.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Keep in mind those who feel they can get in condition through a crash program. Crash programs do not work. Conditioning should be a part of everyone's winter regimen (THIS INCLUDES CIVILIANS!!!!). As it's been said in earlier posts, the gradual approach is the best.

As someone who is a medical reenactor, I hate being the person to ruin someone's fun having to pull them off the field because they look like they are about to drop from heat-related illness; but health concerns come first. I've seen people who have gone down from heat related illness and lack of proper hydration and it isn't pretty. I don't think anyone on this board wants to find themself spending part of an event in a hospital bed receiving iv fluids to rehydrate.

Kimberly Schwatka
          Kimberly Schwatka
          Independent Mess

Comment

Originally posted by ElizabethClark
            And, caffeinated drinks, black tea, soda, etc don't count toward hydration.
            Much as I hate to admit it, alcohol is also the enemy of proper hydration. Skipping that beer over lunch/dinner will not only help you drop those 21st Century well-fed Cornfed pounds, but will also improve your chances of staying properly hydrated on the field, Union or Confederate.
            Bill Cross
            The Rowdy Pards

Comment

I'm in the "Mormon Corridor" of the Intermountain West--beer is rare. LOL

But that's an excellent point: alcohol should be on the list of "anti-hydration" beverages.

Now, PRO-hydration beverages include pure water, some juices, switchel, shrub, water with a tablespoon of molasses, etc... if it's clear, and doesn't have anti-hydration properties, it's an option.
              Regards,
              Elizabeth Clark

Comment

Working...
              X