Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITW/Recon. III Civilian Report

ITW/Recon III Civilian Report

A group of 10 women and children made up the civilian component of ITW. This was a 24-hour first person immersion event for which we developed backgrounds and stories relating to the 3 families we portrayed. This was my first immersion event, and was for several others in the group as well, but I was very impressed at how all our preparation came together and worked!

The Woolfrey and Tapp families started the weekend at the Woolfrey farm. The Dobyns family traveled to us and ran into some problems crossing through the Union lines along the way. We spent the weekend nursing the sick Mrs. Woolfrey, getting searched and treated suspiciously by Yankee soldiers, trying to help at the field hospital that ended up being moved, providing what aid we could to a wounded Union soldier, and developing a relationship with the hospital steward only to have him taken from us suddenly by some evil Georgian cavalrymen!

The highlights of the weekend for me were:

- As it was my first refugee-type event, I enjoyed the challenge of packing light to move whenever we needed to, sleeping under the stars (or in that blessed shed on Saturday night in the rain), and living off very little.

- 24-hour first person interaction was very gratifying and I think we all did a good job sticking with it!

- Friday night being searched by several Yankee soldiers and the fear of having to leave the property and not knowing where we would go.

- By far the best part of the weekend was our group’s interaction and relationship with Hospital Steward Briggs. We started the weekend very suspicious of this Yankee soldier, but he soon proved to be our protector and champion throughout all the searching and threats on Friday night. We got to know bits and pieces about his life back in Maine and grew to really like him.

Saturday afternoon we were searched and interrogated by Yankee cavalrymen, who after finding nothing of interest stole items from Mr. Briggs. They framed us by telling Mr. Briggs that we had stolen from him. Of course, he knew that we hadn’t, and came to tell us about it. As we were just sitting down to share a meal with our friend, Confederate cavalry came upon us. We were so happy to see them, as we had seen no Confederates all weekend. They paid us no mind, but focused right in on the hospital steward. They emptied his pockets and cornered him by the shed. Despite our pleading and begging for his life, they shot him dead right in front of us all. I have to say, the death of Steward Briggs was one of the most emotional first person events I had ever been through and actually cried real tears over his dying body. We heard his last words about his wife, prayed with him, and in honor of his loyalties, one of our ladies sang the Star Spangled Banner. It was quite a moment.

The downsides of the weekend for me were:

- The water and “privies” were quite a distance from where we were camped up by the farmhouse. We made do, but I think many of us drank less water than we should have simple because the walk was such a distance.

- A condition of our helping with the hospital was that we would be provided with bacon and hardtack to eat. Because the hospital scenario did not work out, we were left with only some slabs of bacon. Some of us had brought a bit of supplemental food, which mercifully was not confiscated by soldiers, but without that we would have been very, very hungry. In reading other reports about the event, I am certain that the soldiers ate better than we did. It certainly added to the experience, but it did become somewhat of a health issue by Sunday for some.

- I would have liked to have had more interaction with soldiers. I realize that plans change, but with the hospital relocated and no soldiers around our area, we were left with a lot of down-time. Thankfully we were visited by both cavalry groups and appreciated the interaction with them.

I can’t even say the rain was a downside, because once we got situated in our leaking, but mostly dry shed, we passed a very comfortable night!

Thank you to Linda Trent, who put in so much effort to make the civilian side of this event such a success. I know that she worked hard on the heals of “Struggle for Statehood” to guide us all into making this experience work so well. Linda also kept us going all weekend both in terms of first person and watching out for our safety (both fictional and real). Thank you also to Noah Briggs for some phenomenal first person interaction and drama. The weekend would not have been the same without you! The organizers of this event are also owed our thanks; they provided great logistics for getting us to and from our site and gave us the opportunity to spend some time on very historic and appropriate land.

Once I recover from the trauma of so many tick bites and this chest cold that set in on the way home, I’ll start looking forward to the next Recon!

Jessica Craig
    (formerly Margaret Tapp)
    Jessica Craig
    Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society (AGSAS)

Re: ITW/Recon. III Civilian Report

I was one of those evil Georgia Cavalrymen, and we too were shocked by our comrad's behavior. However, we had been losing quite a few of our pards throughout the war and war makes men hard. We did uncover a letter written by your "beloved" Steward, in it, he states that, "he interogated Confederate wounded...using whatever means necessary...that he hoped to come accross a Confederate Officer to interogate". After reading this letter our consciences were eased.

I would add that the first person displayed by the refugee women was probably the most realistic first person I've seen...worthy of an Oscar!

John Sweeney
    Late of the Cobb's Legion of Cavalry
    Last edited by ; 05-05-2004, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Hello ,
      My hat is off to the Civiliain ladies at Recon and to the lone Yank hospital stewart. Ya'll did a great job and made the event for me with your performance.It is not often you find people who will role the punches ae well as ya'll did .Thanks for making my 12+ hour drive worht it .
      MY G G Grandfather fought with the 14th Tenn (Pvt Andrew Cherry Co G ).This unit was formed in my home county and surrounding counties .I live in the house A.Cherry Bought after the war .

I just had a gut feeling about the situation when I gun murdered that yank. When I got the ahold of the letter that he had I knew I was correct.

Jerry Ross
      Critter Company

Attached is a letter I wrote for a group of friends back home

Hello all,

I just got back late last night from a special assignment to Virginia around Culpeper . Scott Little and I arrived there early saturday Moring around 4am after a forced ride of 12 hours . Our horses were extremly jaded after that ride.We rested for several hours and saddled up again to scout out the enemy in front of the 14th Tenn.We had not been the wilderness around Culpeper long when I was unhorsed by a stout low lying sapling. My horse had seen enough action and took off towards the rear. It took me about an hour to recover my rouge horse. He was caught up in his own reins and forced him to stop . I am glad my Paw showed me how to track so I could find him .I was afraid that I would not get back to Tennessee with out him . As horses are getting scarce around all the parts we rode through I did not want to go back to infantry just yet . I delivered the messages yall sent the boys in the 14th. They were mighty glad to hear from home. They know that alll the folks back home are still under Union Occupation and will be glad to get rid of that yoke. There were about 200 of the boys left now .As you know there were over a thousand of them when they left for Virginia in 61. Time has been hard on them up here .

We were unable to of much help in the woods there so we were ordered to find the flanks of the enemy . We did this with speed of the wind once we were free of the wilderness vines. the open fields around there remind me of Kentucky. We overtook several wounded yanks and their Hospital wagaons we took from them supplies we could use and kept going . We found their main hospital and again took what supplies we needed and could carry.

Behind the Yanks lines we found a medical stewart helping a group of women who said they were from the area .They were helping to hide this yank after he runnned off I think .So Got tired of hearing alll the noise about him so i shot him dead.This greatly distressed these women who were supposedly good southern women. After we went through his things we found a letter on his body that confirmed my thought he was up to no good . His letter was bragging about getting information from some wounded 14th Tenn boys and to send more to him to gather more information.He was ready to send this letter to his commmanding officer. We let the women be ,but told them not to be harboring any more or they would be dealt with accordling.

We then started making our way back to our lines when yankee cav was on our heals we turned and gave them battle scattered them to the wind and headed back to the bigwoods to wait fora secound attack. We fought on foot as we did not want our horses shot to peices . Those yanks did not hang around long .

We then had to cut our way through a resting column of Yanks .We were very lucky that had stack their arms and were boiling coffe when we went through them .I was so worried we would be cut to to shreds . We could not go back the way we came because the yank Calvary were behind us . we had to go through the lines to get back to ours .

Our time was up and we have since returned to Good old Montgomery County Tennessee to refit and get remounts and head toward Atlanta Gorgia.I was glad to see my wife before returning to our Unit .

I hope everyone is doing well when this letter reaches you

Take care Jerry

Jerry Ross
      Critter Company
      Jerry Ross
      Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
      Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

This past weekend 10 civilians went Into the Wilderness for a weekend of pure immersion. And pure immersion it was, from moments of sheer terror and weeping over a lost friend interspersed with longer moments of boredom and thoughts of home.

For the weekend I was Mrs. Leroy Dobyns of Oakley Plantation, Spotsylvania County, Virginia. In my family were my stepdaughter Maria Dobyns (Nicole Greenplate), Virginia Dobyns (Kyrstie Walker), and Elizabeth Kathleen Dobyns (Kathleen Kiger), as well as my sister-in-law Aunt Eliza Dobyns (Renee Roth).

Friday opened up with the Tapp family (Jess Craig, Andrea Pickles, and Barb Todd) and the Woolfrey family (Abby Walker and Terri Leamer) at the Woolfrey home located at the junction of the Orange Plank and the Culpeper Plank Roads. The Woolfreys were toll keepers and Mr. Woolfrey was also a cooper. My family, the Dobyns, was on our way to fetch Mrs. Woolfrey and remove her to the safety of our own home, since we heard that the Yankees had crossed the Rapidan, and she was ill and could use the protection. We began our walk down the plank road when some pickets on duty intercepted us. They asked us our business and then turned us away. I requested an audience with their captain, and after a few minutes a runner came back stating that the captain did not wish to see us. And the pickets demanded that we leave at once. So, we left. My daughters showed their courage and loyalty to our friend of seven years, when they decided to cut through the Wilderness to get to the Woolfreys.

The foliage was thick, and the briars ripped at our dresses, but we stumbled through the Wilderness taking time to occasionally scout out the area for roads or other familiar signs. We saw a cavalry moving across the field so we moved up against the tree line, and tried to move as quickly and quietly as we could. Finally we saw the familiar ford of the Woolfrey residence, the water was running well over our ankles, so we removed our shoes and stockings and proceeded to cross the ford. Almost as soon as we got across two men who had been left to guard the field hospital supplies intercepted us. They made several threats including if my daughter didn't get my carpetbag unlocked it would be thrown into the creek, to far worse. Finally I asked to file a complaint with whoever was in charge. Thinking my daughters were behind me, I started off, only to discover later that they remained behind where they were threatened further with the idle threats of the Yankees. Finally, they managed to reach Mrs. Woolfrey and the rest of our neighbors who had gathered at the house. Meanwhile...

I was taken to Federal HQ where I was forced to wait for an indefinite length of time. At first I thought that I would sit, but then realized that that put me in a submissive position, so I returned to standing. While I was waiting I was also observing the large number of troops, and decided that it would profit me more to make friends with the Yankees, so rather than tell them about the horses and carriage and such that we had lost, I mentioned how I had volunteered my time last year at Chancellorsville following the battle at one of the hospitals. I told them that I would be more than willing to obey orders, and assist at the hospital should the need arise, *IF* they would make certain that my family was fed and my neighbor received the necessary medicine for the bilious fever that she had been suffering from. I even told the guard that I would be willing to sign the oath of allegiance *if* the army agreed to my demands. Of course, lucky for me, the guard forgot that little detail, and the army approved my demands, so I didn't bring it back up :-) They gave me a loaf of bread and I set off to be reunited with my family.

We were blessed by having in our presence one of the few Yankee gentlemen, a hospital steward by the name of Noah Briggs. He was wonderful as he requisitioned some things for us, and supposedly even cheated a bit on the hospital records to make sure that we were taken care of. He was certainly a man of compassion. He provided us with food, blankets, ground cover, and of course medicine.

We prepared our evening meal, did a few other non-descript things and then went to bed. I remember distinctly not being able to go directly to sleep and my daughter Virginia (Kyrstie) and I lay awake for a long while talking about very deep subjects. I began to speak some of my concerns to her -- how she and Elizabeth were too young to be in the midst of the impending battle, or what might have happened to our horses, and more particularly Elizabeth's pony that she was riding. We spoke of home and wondered how father, Ole' Sally, and baby Florence were getting along without us, and wondering if Oakley had seen any fighting or was occupied by either side. We spoke of things that I wouldn't speak about with my children except in such urgent situations. Mr. Dobyns money was mostly tied up in Confederate currency and bonds, so should the Confederacy fall we would be virtually broke, and we conversed on many other topics as well. Daybreak came, at it's own pace; it was another long night.

Come morning we prepared our meal again, ate and then heard the armies beginning to move. We became quite nervous and looked around for a good place to hide. We finally went into the stone portion of the Woolfrey house (which was about the only portion that seemed sound enough for us to enter. We hid out in there while the fighting raged down on the other side of the ford. When the fighting ceased, we stepped outside and waited for the ambulances to come to the field hospital. I began to have memories of Chancellorsville; my mind drew up memories of wounded soldiers, the screaming, the pain, and the death. I began to regret offering to help with the hospital, all I wanted to do was take my children and get as far away from the fighting as I could, but I knew *that* was an impossibility. But the Lord was kind, and the hospital was called off closer to the fighting and my obligation to it became non-existent.

The day drew on, seemingly unending, when we decided to prepare our evening meal (little did we know that it was still quite early in the day). As the meal was being prepared I decided that I would take the flag that Virginia had and hang it upon the Woolfrey shed. It wasn't long thereafter that in rode the Union cavalry. After demanding that we all stand up they discovered the bag of bacon that Miss Tapp had been sitting on. After some thought they decided not to take the bacon, but did continue to search the remainder of our belongings. One of the cavalrymen looked at the shed and asked his leader if he should take the flag, to which the remark was that it was a hospital flag, leave it. The trooper then responded by saying something to the effect of, "Not that flag, but the Confederate flag that's flat against the building." They then took down the flag and rummaged through their own hospital and rode off crossing the ford. My daughters did see two of our horses, Lucky (a dun), and Shadow (a black) that had been seized by the Union cavalry at the start of our journey, but Clover, my younger daughter's pony was not with them. Why a cavalry would take a 12-year-old child's pony is beyond me, and what became of him is also beyond me. All I could do was try to convince Elizabeth that maybe Clover had gone home.

Apparently they had told our friend, the steward, that we were responsible for the missing items from the hospital and he returned to see what had been taken. He informed me that he didn't believe that we had been disobedient, or that we had rummaged through his things. I informed him that the Union cavalry did it, and he seemed content with that. Just about then we offered him something to eat and in rode our boys.

Never were we so happy to see our boys in gray, but there was something about these boys that wasn't quite right. They focused upon an unarmed hospital steward and began talking about killing him. We pleaded with these boys telling them that they weren't 15 minutes behind the Union cavalry and they could catch them if they just left now! Instead they chose to harass us Southern ladies and our friend Steward Briggs. Suddenly, one of them just raised up his pistol and mortally wounded Mr. Briggs. I tried my best not to let on that he was still alive, though the wound was a mortal shot across the leg. Any movement of the leg and the artery would burst killing the steward instantly. We did our best to shoo off the cavalry who decided before they were to leave they were going to take something, so they took the yellow hospital flag. We, of course, did not hesitate to tell them that the color suited them well, and that I would have an audience with General Lee and let him know how these boys had treated us Southern ladies. The cavalry rode off.

We then turned out attention to Mr. Briggs. As I clasped his hand, we searched for a pencil to write with. When none could be quickly found I ordered the children to get the slate and chalk and we'd write his final words to his wife and family. One of our group read from the Bible while my daughter sang Amazing Grace and the Star Spangled Banner. There wasn't a dry eye anywhere to be found. Finally, Steward Briggs gave up the Ghost, and we removed his body to inside the hospital shed. Two of our group went to inform the Union HQ that their steward had been killed.

We sat around for a good portion of the remainder of the day talking about the day's events, and wondering if we should seek protection from the Union army, a strange twist of fate, indeed, that we should be so afraid of our own boys that we should have to beg protection from the enemy. I swallowed my Virginian pride and went up to ask for guards. The officer that I spoke with said that we were more than welcome to move closer, but that he could not afford to dispatch men to watch some civilians.

When I returned to the Woolfrey's, I found that a wounded man, Private Lovejoy from Maine had found his way to our little group. He found a hospital flag lying on the shore of the creek and since he was wounded thought that perhaps he'd find the hospital here. Instead what he found was our group, and a dead steward. We thought about moving forward, but with the sky looking threatening, the poison ivy in the area we were going to encamp, and the snakes (yes, I did see one), we decided to return to the Woolfrey home and to the cover of the hospital shed. What we didn't know was that Private Lovejoy had hardtack, sweet potatoes, and other items of food in his pack that he was willing to share, but by the time he found our humble abode we had already eaten about all that we could.

By now, many of our group was starting to suffer headaches and belly aches, the rain began coming down and several of our group lay down for anything from a nap to an all-night sleep. I was quite awake, and thought I'd try to strike up a conversation with Private Lovejoy, but he was a rather standoffish sort of gentleman, so I got him a blanket that he requested and returned to my children. And we all fell asleep.

The next morning we all awoke to one of the Tapp sisters telling about a dream she had of all kinds of wonderful desserts. Peach cobbler, sweet pies, etc. It was about this time that my daughter Maria asked if we could change the topic to something else as her stomach was greatly bothering her. I gave her a peppermint stick and the steward gave her some other medicine, but eventually Maria had to be evacuated to a city hospital. The battle eventually ended and we decided to return to Oakley immediately.

Maria, Nicole Greenplate, (was evacuated to the Culpeper hospital) but is alright, and the last I heard is eagerly looking forward to Burkittsville. She's a trooper! Thanks to all who have helped to make this a great event!

The pros:

Great Civilians!!!
        Our Steward Briggs!!!
        The Union Cavalry!!!
        The Critters!!!
        Great Civilians!!! :)
        Our Steward Briggs!!! :)
        The Union Cavalry!!! :)
        The Critters!!! :)

The cons:

Water stationed too far away, not where it was promised.
        Not having the field hospital in our location, after weeks of working with Noah to coordinate everything.
        Lack of interaction with the infantries.
        Ticks and snakes

I'm sure there are other things, but that's it for now!

Linda Trent

A.K.A. Mrs. Leroy W. Dobyns,
        Oakley, Spotsylvania, Va.
        Last edited by LindaTrent; 05-06-2004, 09:41 PM.
        Linda Trent
        [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
        It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaTrent
          When I returned to the Woolfrey's, I found that a wounded man, Private Lovejoy from Maine had found his way to our little group. He found a hospital flag lying on the shore of the creek and since he was wounded thought that perhaps he'd find the hospital here. Instead what he found was our group, and a dead steward. What we didn't know was that Private Lovejoy had hardtack, sweet potatoes, and other items of food in his pack that he was willing to share, but by the time he found our humble abode we had already eaten about all that we could.

By now, many of our group was starting to suffer headaches and belly aches, the rain began coming down and several of our group lay down for anything from a nap to an all-night sleep. I was quite awake, and thought I'd try to strike up a conversation with Private Lovejoy, but he was a rather standoffish sort of gentleman, so I got him a blanket that he requested and returned to my children. And we all fell asleep.
          Linda the standoffish Private Lovejoy was my file mate in the Battle. I did not see him get wounded and were suspicious of his disappearance. I'm glad he was ok. He was a new recruit and we were suspicious that he may be a bounty man, but he said he volunteered. He gave a good account of himself in the Battle but was awkward with the manual of arms and the drill. He recieved ample rations and being of sound Maine stock should have shared them. We had some discussions about the timber industry in Maine. I hope a Maine man such as Private Lovejoy would have shared his rations with you.

Yours
          Hiram Walker
          7th ME Co. B
          China Me Mess

(Frank Lilley)

cons
          Not enough interaction between civilians and infantry I agree
          Frank Lilley
          Sore Foot Mess

Comment

Originally posted by FWL
            cons
            Not enough interaction between civilians and infantry I agree
            Yes : totaly agree Sir it would for been a good chance for some frist person with them southern civs Well hell thah Walker we could of showed them women how to make our molasses cookies that us Maine boys like soo much :tounge_sm
            1st Corporal Gregory J. Dodge
            (aka) Alexlander Thompson
            7th Ky Vol Inf U.S./ Western Brigade Secretary-Treasurer
            President Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeeboy
              Yes : totaly agree Sir it would for been a good chance for some frist person with them southern civs Well hell thah Walker we could of showed them women how to make our molasses cookies that us Maine boys like soo much :tounge_sm

I gather the China Mess is reforming to defend the Capital in July are you going Greg

Hiram Walker
              Frank Lilley
              Sore Foot Mess

Comment

Working...
              X